Folks, the NEW NCC-1701 ...

Unless, of course, they recast Chekov as a female character... :monkeydance:

Alvis 3.1

:bandhead2:

Jeez! it does loo different and I will have to acquire the taste for the new model...What did you think of the USS KELVIN thatbegins this new epic!!

And if you go back to the original link and click on it and then at the very end of that write up, Click on "STAR TREK: 11 NEW PHOTOS" you WILL see the cast of this new storyline....

( shows who is the new Spock etc )

This one's going to take some getting used to. The dorsal pylon spporting the saucer goes way back to the curved nacell pylons and it looks like they squeezed the stern and hanger bay out of a tube. It's hard to make out exactly what the front of the nacells look like, but at this point they look too strange. They remind me of something I saw once but just can't quite remember where. It could have been from a commercial, a TV show, or a clip from a computer game or something.

After having a look at the new design...I don´t know. Not only it looks so different to the ship in TOS, it just doesn´t look right in general. Okay, maybe the original design is too simplistic for todays standards but that´s too much in my eyes. It´s like saying a Su-24 is a F-111 because they share the same basic layout.

Yes, I´ll watch the movie and I hope it is a sucess. Let´s hope the story is better than the ship design.

Just my 2 cents.

Markus

Interesting short trailer here!

Shows the ship being constructed on land?? That makes no sense whatsoever.

I checked my referances and this is what I found.

The original Constitution Class Were built in various shipyards all over the Earth.

San Francisco (Enterprise, hull laid 27 November 2214, Launched 16 March 2217, Comissioned 3 May 2218)

Puget Sound

Singapore

London

Leningrad

There were only two of the original Constitution Class that were built in space, the Kongo and Intrepid in the Port Copernicus Shipyards Lunar Station.

Just call me a geek..........

I checked my referances and this is what I found.

The original Constitution Class Were built in various shipyards all over the Earth.

San Francisco (Enterprise, hull laid 27 November 2214, Launched 16 March 2217, Comissioned 3 May 2218)

I think the source you're quoting has been pretty much abandoned, at least the timeline part... current timeline has the Enterprise launching in 2245 under the command of Captain Robert April, who led the ship on its shakedown and for its first few years. After which, Christopher Pike took command around 2250 where he remained until Kirk was given command in 2265.

now just where the new movie fits into continuity, if it does at all, remains to be seen

Edited by Face

Is it just me, or are the nacelles swept forward?

In Sketch Book-the Movies by John Eaves and J. M. Dillard, it shows that the original design for the Enterprise-E had forward-swept nacelles, until someone pointed out that it looked like a chicken...

This one seems alien and inorganic. It lacks balance. I know they want to restart the series, but it could have looked more fluid in my opinion.

Ric

Kinda like a Toyota Prius.... :blink:

I haven't had much faith for Hollywood to stay true to the original storyline, epecially when they "reboot" or "remake" the original. Unfortunately, they only "reboot" that is actually better than the original is the "Batman/The Dark Knight" series, although the 007 "reboot" doesn't seem as bad either (although, I was interested to see what John Clease would have done in the Q role during it's progression....that's until Sony got cheap).

With that said, It didn't suprise me at all that the Enterprise was "re-imagined" and it looks different than the original. I think that it does look cool, but it did throw me off a little. I am interested in seeing the movie. :crying2:

Edited by Johnopfor
Interesting short trailer here!

Shows the ship being constructed on land?? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Uuuuh, they're showing a starship being constructed on land? And that is what makes no sense to you? Come on friend, its just escapist sci-fi fun. Little of it makes sense. Traveling many times faster than light? Beams of light that take apart organic matter, send it thousands of kilometers, and rebuild it perfectly at the other end? Other races of beings living light years from Earth yet look just like humans but have different ears?

I love/like Star Trek in all its forms to varying degrees. I'm an OK fan of TOS. Love TNG. Never got into DS9 or Voyager but pretty much loved Enterprise. Many of the movies were ok, some were boring, others were great. I am hoping this movie rocks since we've not had a good movie since late '96. But if your criteria is that these movies/TV programs make sense, then you will be disappointed for years and years.

:crying2:

Well, I saw the trailer at the Bond movie tonight, and I gotta say, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I draw a parallel to this whole "re-imagining" or "reset" the same way I drew with the newer Star Wars films....

We've had multiple decades of watching, re-watching, studying and formulating our own opinions of it. So, when a "new version" comes out, if it is in any way contrary to someone's own formed opinion, the first thing they do is say "I don't like it"... (it always surprises me how vehemently opposed die-hard fans are to change... I know it's something that people know and love, but why get angry or upset about it?)

Give the movie a chance. And remember that it is just what it is... a movie. If people end up not liking it, so be it. After 'Enterprise' basically fizzled out, I thought the franchise had no more steam. Perhaps this is the best way to breathe new life into it... And if not... so be it.

My 2 cents...

Edited by paholmes

Since we're talking Enterprises, old and new, have any of you been seeing the Original Series remasters that are coming out? One of the local channels has been showing them one a week for a while now. What got done is that good quality prints were selected, and then the exterior space & ship shots were re-done with some really nice CGI. The ships have much more detail, and even the planets Enterprise orbits are much nicer. Nothing was changed in terms of plot (Spock doesn't fire first...) or displays of technology. When Phasers or Photons are fired, the original choice of bursts or beams (inconsistent as that always was) is retained -- they just look better.

Some of the episode highlights:

- Balance of Terror: the first one released. Exterior shots of the Romulan ship are *gorgeous*

- Space Seed: detail of SS Botany Bay is amazing, and we get to see a few more seconds of her.

- Trouble with Tribbles: great exterior closeups of K-7

- Mudd's Women: actually get to see Mudd's ship before it's destroyed in the asteroid field

- Errand of Mercy: finally get to see the Klingon ships attacking

The only (minor) thing I can complain about is that they also rerecorded the opening theme, and the EQ isn't quite right and it sounds just a touch "off", especially during the opening organ harmonic overtones.

A lot could've been done to bring the original design into a more detailed look without making it look like an entirely different starship.

Exactly. Watch any episode of the remastered originals, they all make Enterprise look good without also making her look modern.

I'm not sold on the 'reinvented' notion, either. Speaking for myself, I'd rather see more stuff about the environment I know than I would someone's reinterpretation of the same. And as mentioned, there are some very good fan films out there which make up in earnest what they lack in budget. World Enough and Time is one of the best efforts, and all of the efforts start from the same common ground, that the environment they're in is that of Star Trek as portrayed in the original series.

I find myself wondering why I would want to see someone's reinvention of something I know a lot better (judging from the admittedly slim database of one trailer) than do the makers of this film. I find myself wondering further why they who are making this thing think that anyone who knows anything about Star Trek will:

1) be impressed, let alone give a double-somersaulting flying foork about JT Kirk dumping a Corvette over a cliff, for starters;

2) buy Spock letting his self-control slip enough to show Kirk his 'human side', having spent a lifetime learning to control that part of himself;

3) dismiss what's come before so handily as to swallow wholly and gleefully what's to come now.

The subsequent ST shows (at least the first two) were quite good in the main, and could be said to be (at least to some degree) reinterpretations of the original; but on the other hand they grounded themselves in that original setting and offered fans a fleshing out and expansion of something they already knew. This ignores that, and yet wants to call itself Star Trek.

Well, maybe. For someone, not for me.

BJ

Well, it is a little hard to judge a whole movie by a 1 minute trailer ...

Gregg

I agree. The interviews I read indicate a complete re-working of the story, and somehow I doubt that the original vision will be adhered to. I expect an action film with SciFi theme rather than a SciFi film with action sequences. Won't prevent me from watching it with fingers crossed....

I kind of like both schools of thought. I love the Original Movie Enterprise better than any star trek ship. I like the new design too, but I just wish it would have kept the same basic shape. They could have done the exact same model, and just proportioned it a little better. But that is if I was building it. And I'm not.

Either way, I think it is going to be great.

Well, it is a little hard to judge a whole movie by a 1 minute trailer ...

Gregg

Many movies give away the whole plot in the trailer, so sometimes you CAN judge a movie by the entire trailer.

Don't care much for the new Enterprise, inside or out. Must take the entire output of the warp engines just to run the interior lighting. And what's up with the helmsman's console on the bridge? Looks like the receptionist desk on the first floor of a big office building, not something used for controlling a starship.

Many movies give away the whole plot in the trailer, so sometimes you CAN judge a movie by the entire trailer.

Don't care much for the new Enterprise, inside or out. Must take the entire output of the warp engines just to run the interior lighting. And what's up with the helmsman's console on the bridge? Looks like the receptionist desk on the first floor of a big office building, not something used for controlling a starship.

On some films, I agree Dave but JJ Abrams never gives away to much plot in previews, he's sort of famous for making sure people want to see more ...

Gregg