Folks, the NEW NCC-1701 ...

• 5 weeks later...

What I fear about reimagining Star Trek is that it will become a Bourne Enterprise with more action than plot. That the erosion of the future as envisioned by Roddenberry begun by the last TV producer will be completed by the new one. I do admit that I've enjoyed all of the series, even Enterprise. But do find that it is harder to enjoy the classic Trek and early TNG as time went by. In many ways the writing and acting got better as time progressed. It seems like every new science fiction movie is marketed as a shoot em up video game. Why cheapen the franchise by emulating the others? If nothing else, what about the catalyst that brought about the non-violent nature of the Federation? Reimagine that. We could use more Peace in our lives. What would a society that really tries to live in harmony really be like? Make it an every day struggle and an internal struggle. How would you raise the children? What are the object lesson/myths ingrained into the collected consciousness of humans to keep them from straying over to the 'Dark Side'? What would a First Contact really be like? Give us stories that show how the future can be better. How we can get along better on this planet? Take stories from our societies today and show us the possibilities.

My family started watching Star Trek with the broadcast of the Salt Sucking Alien. I've been a fan ever since.

Just some thoughts from someone who loves Star Trek,

Best wishes,

Grant

Greetings...

I'm sure a plot device, like time travel, alternate universe, or Romulan fabrication, will explain the Enterprise design and the other elements that do not fit right. What I am worried about is the making of another "action movie" with Star Trek as part of the title. We do not need another destroy-the-Death Star plot, like Nemesis.

What got done is that good quality prints were selected, and then the exterior space & ship shots were re-done with some really nice CGI.

Haven't seen it yet, but normally I really, really hate it when this happens.

Yes, the original effects don't pass muster today. But they are what's in your memories. To me it's like colorizing black & white movies or putting Peter Jackson's CGI Kong in the 1933 version.

Cheers,

Andre

Haven't seen it yet, but normally I really, really hate it when this happens.

Yes, the original effects don't pass muster today. But they are what's in your memories. To me it's like colorizing black & white movies or putting Peter Jackson's CGI Kong in the 1933 version.

Cheers,

Andre

Normally I would agree with you, but this has been very well done. The effects really haven't changed, but they've added a lot of life to the ship and planet (orbit view) exteriors. In some places where the other ship was just a spot of light on the viewscreen, it's now a visible design. They've also added enhanced ship exteriors in a couple of places where the visual was just some meaningless interior or matte painting during a Log entry. Give it a try.

I find myself wondering further why they who are making this thing think that anyone who knows anything about Star Trek will:

1) be impressed, let alone give a double-somersaulting flying foork about JT Kirk dumping a Corvette over a cliff, for starters;

Not just a Corvette, but a late-1960's Vette that dates from exactly the same time as TOS. There's more to that than JTK just "dumping a Corvette over a cliff" ... it's a clear, if allegorical, message to die-hard TOS fans about Abrams' approach to the movie.

There are a couple other allegorical "messages" aimed directly at the other iterations of Star Trek in the movie that have leaked out as well. Scotty being picked up from an "exile" posting he was sent to after inadvertently beaming an Admiral's beloved pet beagle into the ether, for instance.

I really don't like the "new" Edselprise. Mainly for the reasons already listed. Dorsal neck set too far back, secondary hull looking like a 1/2 used toothpaste tube and the strange looking warp nacelles that are set way too back as well. I have no problems with a ship that looks more modern than TOS, or the movies, or even the later ships named Enterprise ... but this one looks way off-balance to me.

Not just a Corvette, but a late-1960's Vette that dates from exactly the same time as TOS. There's more to that than JTK just "dumping a Corvette over a cliff" ... it's a clear, if allegorical, message to die-hard TOS fans about Abrams' approach to the movie.

There are a couple other allegorical "messages" aimed directly at the other iterations of Star Trek in the movie that have leaked out as well. Scotty being picked up from an "exile" posting he was sent to after inadvertently beaming an Admiral's beloved pet beagle into the ether, for instance.

I really don't like the "new" Edselprise. Mainly for the reasons already listed. Dorsal neck set too far back, secondary hull looking like a 1/2 used toothpaste tube and the strange looking warp nacelles that are set way too back as well. I have no problems with a ship that looks more modern than TOS, or the movies, or even the later ships named Enterprise ... but this one looks way off-balance to me.

I don’t like the new design either, a little too cartoonish for me. I am with someone else who mentioned modernizing or adding more detail to the original. I guess we’ll have to wait to see if the movie is any good. I like action flicks and special effects, but I also like most of the storylines that Star Trek has had, right up through the last movie. I think what has been missing from Star Trek (especially the movies) has been a new and really bad villain.

The last villain to really grab everyone’s attention was Kahn. So I won’t pass judgment until I see the movie and I will probably build the model when it comes out, although it goes better with Galaxy Quest than with Star Trek…

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I started my modeling adventure as a kid doing the good old AMT Star Trek models. I think this new ship and the new "reboot" is interesting and the more I think about it the more interesting it gets. When I first saw the new/old Enterprise I about crapped myself. I immediatly thought about Enterprise and the big pile of crap that show took on good old Genes vision. I hope it's good. Just keep an open mind.........right? I have to admit that I like Voyager and Nemisis. I also think the Enterprise E is awsome!

Curt

I agree...

I just wished I had a time machine, so I could send all the whiners back to the 60's...

I was born in the mid 70's, so was brought up on the movie version of Star Trek. But in my mid 30's, I still can enjoy the original.

Things change. And I like that they do. You can only watch so many re-runs before watching a Space Captain fighting with a ball of wool. Or having sex with a green woman..

Personally as we get closer to the age of Star Trek, I like to see it become more realistic, like the Batman franchise has done with the the Dark Knight. We know Star Trek is not real. But if it gives us two hours of fun, and makes us feel 10 again. Then I don't care hat the big E looks like..

I wish Christopher Reeve still was Superman. But as always, the world changes.. So i gave Brandon a chance and enjoyed him as Superman..

Chris

I actually don't mind the look -- kind of 50s automobile retro when fins, eyelids and big chrome were the rage. Lucas did the same with Phantom Menace, by making the vehicles look more retro. I think the moviemakers' goal is to help you take you back in time by showing design cues that we can relate to from the real world and juxtapose them onto a fictional future.

Also remember that each director/producer is trying to stamp their "look" while making the designs relevant to the current audience. All the Batmobiles we've seen on the big screen look nothing like the 60s TV version based on the Lincoln Futura. That, in turn didn't look like the original one(s) from the comic books. To me, the Batmobile from the Christian Bale movie is more jarring and can't imagine how it could possibly evolve into the TV Batmobile or the Michael Keaton Batmobile from a timeline perspective.

At least they stayed with the basic Enterprise design concept, rather than making it look more like a Imperial Star Destroyer, Galactica or Spaceship Yamato.

• 2 weeks later...
.....and a pair of antlers on the front of the saucer....... :thumbsup:

Don't forget the CB subspace radio and whip antenna.

By the way, I may have been in school when the original series first appeared, but I'm not a whiner. I just know when I don't like a ship's design. Like this one.

By the way, I may have been in school when the original series first appeared, but I'm not a whiner. I just know when I don't like a ship's design. Like this one.

Well, I guess you'll save a few dollars and or, see another film then!

Hey Chris, how are things over there?

Yeah, I'll probably sit this one out. That's why God invented DVDs. I'll pobably catch it one night on a rerun somewhere.