I believe it was 553 at the final count.Certainly an epic display and a well done to Ted Bayliss who organised it as well as all the guys who contributed a model. I built two and I'm glad to have been part of it.

Stephen

Hi All

The total I have is 1/72nd scale 543, 1/48th scale 11, 1/32nd scale 6, 1/144th scale 1, and 2 of Hasegawas egg planes, which were very cute.

It was a wonderful weekend with a lot of good comments (and 1 or 2 why did you bother type comments), most people being impressed with the size and quality of the display.

There were more than 35 contributors, for which I owe great thanks (all contributors received a special commemorative key ring, so they can boast about their achievement in the future, which was kindly donated by Squadron Prints.

We even had 4 Phantoms travel all the way from Pittsburgh. Thanks Bill, I trust the mid air refuelling (from the drinks cart) was successful.

In late December I will be redoing my web site (www.500phantoms.com) to show a picture of all the models.

The IPMS(UK) committee are to be thanked for allowing us the chance to do this.

Many thanks to all who participated, sponsored, and enjoyed the display.

Ted Bayliss

Hi All

The total I have is 1/72nd scale 543, 1/48th scale 11, 1/32nd scale 6, 1/144th scale 1, and 2 of Hasegawas egg planes, which were very cute.

It was a wonderful weekend with a lot of good comments (and 1 or 2 why did you bother type comments), most people being impressed with the size and quality of the display.

There were more than 35 contributors, for which I owe great thanks (all contributors received a special commemorative key ring, so they can boast about their achievement in the future, which was kindly donated by Squadron Prints.

We even had 4 Phantoms travel all the way from Pittsburgh. Thanks Bill, I trust the mid air refuelling (from the drinks cart) was successful.

In late December I will be redoing my web site (www.500phantoms.com) to show a picture of all the models.

The IPMS(UK) committee are to be thanked for allowing us the chance to do this.

Many thanks to all who participated, sponsored, and enjoyed the display.

Ted Bayliss

Great work by you Ted

Stephen

With all the 1/72 why do poles show 1/48 as the most popular? Must be Washington politics. :popcorn:

Because 1/48 fans need to be more vocal to compensate their lesser numbers. :whistle:

Fantastic display of a fantastic aircraft. I will definitely go next year if I'm still in this country and who knows, maybe contribute 1 or 2 myself.

... why do poles show 1/48 as the most popular? ...

Couldn't speak for poles, but I think Czechs are 50/50 on the issue ... :P

Michael (My 1:72 41 Sqn FGR2 is in there somewhere)

Simple answer to the 1/72nd / 1 48th debate is SPACE! In the US, most houses are at least 50% bigger than UK houses, so there's plenty of space for displaying models... My "transport" box is an ex 28" TV box and I've got something like 70 models in it at present - I can't imagine how I'd transport the same models if they were 1/48th!!

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for all the comments.

I haven't had a chance to see this topic since my last post as I have been bobbing up and down in the Clyde estuary doing some sea trials.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the people who helped with the display, especially Phil Butler, and Mr and Mrs Brewster, who were absolutely magnificent with their great assistance, and all the contributors of models to the display.

Phil and I spent about 4 years planning and scheming to get there, and after a lot of doubts about how successful we would be, the modellers in the UK (and other nations as well) stepped up and did this magnificent display. I believe we showed our 3 American friends where to go to get a good display. I'm sure the next show in Pittsburgh will seem tame to them, but it was great to see them, and for at least one of them to bring his 4 Phantoms across the pond.

The keyrings also went down very well, many thanks to squadron prints (www.squadronprints.com).

And to those who asked, no I'm not going to do it again next year.

Best regards to all

Ted Bayliss