Tamiya Storch

You don't know how right you are! The curvature of the front screen was where the biggest problems lay. I had to do some test fitting and then re-cut some of my masks. Thankfully the majority of the glass in a Storch is flat, so I only had to pull a bit of my hair out!

By the way, Jon, any more progress on the Junkers? It was shaping up beautifully when I last saw progress.

Edited by thom
You don't know how right you are! The curvature of the front screen was where the biggest problems lay. I had to do some test fitting and then re-cut some of my masks. Thankfully the majority of the glass in a Storch is flat, so I only had to pull a bit of my hair out!

By the way, Jon, any more progress on the Junkers? It was shaping up beautifully when I last saw progress.

Hey Thom - yup, the Stuka is nearly finished; I've had some "life-related delays" that had impacted the build but all is back on track now. I'll have pics up in a week or so once the holiday is over and all back to normal. The glass on that puppy was also a bear to mask, and I'm hoping that when I remove the masks all is well. I ended up doing a winter distemper and weathering the heck out of it so it's taken a while (paint RLM70, wait, paint RLM71, wait, future, wait, weather, wait, etc.). The Storch is looking great. Please keep these updates coming and happy Thanksgiving!

Jon

Edited by jcfay

Thanks as ever for the positive replies. Happy Thanksgiving, Jon, hope you managed to have a good day.

Only a little bit of progress this time - I'm dealing with all sorts of fiddly little bits, and have also been scratching my head about how I'm going to approach certain things.

I do, however, have the internal framing done. This has been carried out in the 'wrong' order so I don't have to paint lots of bits and pieces before assembling them - I want to be painting about 3 or 4 internal sections at most, so that the post-paint construction is kept to a minimum.

Storch22.jpg

I've been doing a bit of wiring, and adding the few remaining bits of P.E., too. The inside of the canopy has received a couple of wires to run from the back of the I.P. up to the compass, which will be added later.

Storch23.jpg

The following picture shows a few more little mods - I've added wires for the side console, modified the P.E. swingarm from its original configuration (see earlier posts), and shortened both levers on the I.P.

Storch26.jpg

The final couple of pics show the cockpit/fuse floor section with the port sidewall dry fitted while I work on some of the bits which need to align between the two. The little silver wire runs from the front of the cockpit to a little gauge of some sort on the framing. Not sure of accuracy of that, but it seems likely to have been there. It's not finished yet, of course - it'll get some tape cable ties. You can also see the start of the work on the chains which will run to the roof - I have no idea what these did, apart from possibly changing one of the control surfaces!

Storch24.jpg

Storch25.jpg

As always, thanks for taking a look, comments and criticisms welcomed. Getting close to breaking the paint out!

Thanks everyone, the positive replies really help to keep motivation levels up!

I've actually grown some wotsits and thrown some paint at the thing, after having stalled for a while complaining that I hadn't gone into enough detail. Truth was, I was scared, but no more!

Storch27.jpg

Storch28.jpg

Yeah, I know, the cable running to the rear sort of sticks up at the front - fear not, though, the bulkhead will trap that errant wire when it's installed.

Storch29.jpg

No, those aren't antennae, they're the P.E. chains, just hanging around waiting to be bent into shape, just as soon as the port side wall comes into play.

Storch30.jpg

That little I.P. promises the first reveal of the build - as soon as I'm happy the paint's dry, the little BluTack masks are coming off!

Next up is detail painting (that'll only take a week or two...), before a coat of Future (well, KlearTM in my case), then a wash, some dry-brushing, and finally a matte coat. Then I close this baby up for good!

Edited by thom

Many thanks for the replies.

I've gone into overdrive this weekend, and managed to get all of the interior painting done (with the exception of one small part which hasn't made an appearance yet).

Here's how she's looking:

Storch31.jpg

Storch32.jpg

Storch33.jpg

I'm getting close to the point where I can close up the whole fuse, then get the big hole in the side masked off ready for exterior building and painting. There are a few things to think about before the wings are put together, so we'll see if there are more modifications yet to come.

As ever, thank you for taking a look.

Thom - that looks awesome. Those big windows, too, will let in plenty of light so that all of your hard work will be visible from the outside. What a great kit. Your pics are great too.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Been a week or so since there was anything worth posting - had to dig the thread out of the deep, dark recesses of In Progress! :thumbsup:

I've made some very simple but significant-appearing progress over the last week, but most of my time has actually been spent making tiny little improvements that I'd rather have avoided.

Here's how we're looking overall:

Storch35.jpg

I'm going with dropped flaps and neutral control surfaces. You might be able to see a few patches of green on the top. On closer inspection, they turn out to be Squadron Green Putty!

Storch36.jpg

That's right, I had to break out the filler. The top join for the fuse simply wasn't good enough, and there was a quarter of a millimetre gap between the fuse and the rear end of the canopy. I've been over the construction, and I'm as sure as I can be that the gap wasn't my fault... Still, it's filled and filleted now (plastic card in the gap, putty over the top to smooth things out).

Third pic is just for fun - I thought it looked a bit spooky inside the cabin now that she's closed up.

Storch37.jpg

The final two shots are of the engine. I had to add the ignition wires; they're really obvious on the Argus, but missing from Tamiya's otherwise superb effort. Very messy work on my part, sorry!

Storch34.jpg

Once I'd thrown a bit of paint at it, it looked a lot better, but still scrappy. It's mounted to the firewall now, so I'll do some detail touch-up before the front end gets a mist of matte.

Storch38.jpg

That's all I have for now. Thank you for having a look.

Thanks guys.

Tiny update this time - I've put the front end and mains gear legs together. I've also put the last couple of bits of P.E. on the little, er... oil cooler (?) that sit below the engine - there's a nice little mesh for either end which adds a bit of depth. The front end fit of the kit is pretty awkward - it may be because I've messed around with the construction order, but I'm not actually wholly satisfied with the way it's gone together...

Storch39.jpg

More updates some time close to the end of the year - off to Paris on business and my parents' for Christmas, so no modelling for a good long while.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello all,

Been a long time since I posted any progress on this one, which is entirely due to the fact that it's a long time since I made any progress.

I'd been putting off painting the Storch because it was always going to be an awkward job. Well, this morning, with a free day in front if me, I decided to blitz it. Here's how she's looking now:

Storch40.jpg

Storch41.jpg

Storch42.jpg

It looks so clean at the moment! Don't worry, I'll soon fix that with some careful weathering. I'm not going to go overboard on it, but it'll really benefit from some depth to the paintwork. The only thing that concerns me is the camo scheme - it's per instructions, but the only way you can tell the colours apart is that the dark green I sprayed first got a quick coat of Klear before I masked over the top, so it looks shiny! It looks slightly better in real life than the photos, but not significantly so.

Thanks for having a look.

Tom

Thanks everyone.

I've started the process of weathering it a bit - so far, I've worked on highlighting the ribbing in the wings. The first time I did this it was a bit of a scary process, but I'm getting used to ruining my paintjobs then making them better now...

My preferred method for highlighting (be it ribs or panels) is to go in with quite a well-lightened shade of the base colour:

Storch43.jpg

That looks pretty horrible, so I get a nice thin mix of the base colour again, and using very low pressure and tiny amounts of paint, blend back in. I once tried this effect using a very soft paintbrush and stippling the paint, and it works, though not as well as with an airbrush. Once it's blended, things look a bit better:

Storch44.jpg

I've started the upper surfaces, too. Once all the lightening is done, I'll do a round of dirtying, adding washes here and there. I'm also considering trying something I've never seen done with the glasswork, but I'll keep that under my hat for now...