VMFA-314 Black Knights VW-00 165188

Hello ARC'ers, and Happy 9th! AWESOME website.

I'm new here (obviously), so, by way of introduction, I thought I'd show some photos of a recently completed project, my second since getting back into model building (after 25+ yrs....Yikes!). It began as a simple OOB build, but soon turned into the "experiment" seen here.

I used:

- Academy kit (original release)

- Black Box interior and exterior sets for late "C" Hornet.

- Eduard canopy details and cockpit placards.

- Gunze acrylics, Testors & MM enamels, Alclad laquer.

- Promodeller dark wash, MIG pigments (vietnam dirt), black artist's chalk.

- Tamiya 40mm tape (1/2 roll),Tamiya fine gray primer, putty & polishing compound (fine).

Markings were sourced from Superscale, MAW, kit decals and Wordperfect, photoshopped, and inkjet printed on Expert's Choice clear & white decal paper. Helmet plume and lance were hand drawn, scanned, and 'shopped in with the rest.

Reference photos from: http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.sear...5188&submit, http://www.warbird-photos.com/gallery.php?Airshow=2004-MCASMiramar and http://www.warbird-p...5-d1/index.html..

* Huge thanks to aviation photographer ('par excellante') Britt Dietz for posting the photos included in the last two links - go to his website( warbird-photos.com) to see more ...Thanks, Britt!!

Photos were taken outdoors on a July afternoon, when the model was barely completed. I had not yet added the canopy frame warning stencils, replaced the HUD camera (where DID that go? Hmm...), the upper intake support "struts", and/or done various touch-ups/additional weathering, as well as lowering the pilot figure in the seat so he doesn't look like he's sitting on a phone book! Other than that, I'm callin' it good, at least for now.

:cheers:

Hope you enjoy the pics! -Rob

frt7.jpg

keeper2.jpg

formation1.jpg

keeper3-1.jpg

awaykeep1.jpg

inflite1.jpg

flyby.jpg

Edited by Rraab
That is freakin awesome!!! :rolleyes:

Eric

Thanks, Eric!

starboardupedit.jpg

keeper2-2-1.jpg

*Edit for added pics * - these were taken in 2008, and I 'shopped' out the support rod in 2011.

Edited by Rraab

Holy Smokes!! :o What an intro!

That's the first time I've seen anyone Photo-Shop a pole into a picture! :thumbsup:

Man!, that is a splendid build and marvellous cammo job.

I'm now speechless............. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Oh, yeah, BTW....welcome to ARC.

I hope to see much more of your work here. :rolleyes:

Holy Smokes!! :worship: What an intro!

That's the first time I've seen anyone Photo-Shop a pole into a picture! :blink:

Not any different than what you do Guy. Taking pics of real airplanes and trying to pass them off as your own model. Shame Shame Shame.

Okay. I'll stop now. In reality, I'm just jealous of you both. There's no way one of my models would ever be mistaken for a real plane, no matter what the background was.

Great job on the model. It looks very impressive, especially considering it's your second one in 25 years.

Welcome to ARC as well.

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801

WELCOME Rraab to the ARC forum..I hope you enjoy it here.. :salute:

HOLY MOLY !!!! And what an introduction and entrance you have made ....

It is the MOST BEAUTIFUL model that I have seen here for a LONG time...

what you have done and achieved is truly AMAZING... :blink: :worship:

its AWESOME....Please show us more of your work ... if this is the first of many that you have

built, I betcha that others are just as GORGEOUS...

HOLMES. :salute:

<...> That's the first time I've seen anyone Photo-Shop a pole into a picture! :worship: <...>

My thoughts exactly! :blink: An absolutely spectacular build! :salute: Without the pole it would be impossible to tell whether it's a model or a real aircraft! :salute:

:whistle:

inflite1.jpg

awaykeep1.jpg

well,.....someone had to do it! :wub:

(Rob, please let me know if you'd rather I took these down, I don't want to detract from your gorgeous model in any way.)

*Edit* I've had sooooo much fun with these pics :D

Here's a couple more.....

formation1.jpg

keeper3-1.jpg

frt7.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer
:wub:

inflite1.jpg

awaykeep1.jpg

well,.....someone had to do it! :D

(Rob, please let me know if you'd rather I took these down, I don't want to detract from your gorgeous model in any way.)

Yep Someone had to do it..LOOKS really IMPRESSIVE what you have done...

HOLMES. :wub: :whistle:

Edited by HOLMES

Big thanks to all of you guys for the really nice compliments! I have been amazed by the builds I've seen here, and I probably would have quit (again) after the first one I did last year if it hadn't been for the incredibile amount of enthusiasm, inspiration, and unprescedented sense of humor around this place... model building embodies engineering, sculpture, and a history lesson all in one...not to mention a lot of fun.

Strikeeagle801-If you had 3 months of "laid off" time, as I did , I bet you would come up w/something pretty cool, yourself!

Geedubulyer-When I saw the "off the cuff" photos you posted of your '16, I was blown away just like the time when I met (guitar virtuoso) Allan Holdsworth after a show one night - I just smiled and said, "thanks for the lesson" !

Erick-So did I, I think :blink: ...just kiddin'!... I think...

Edited by Rraab
Strikeeagle801-If you had 3 months of "laid off" time, as I did , I bet you would come up w/something pretty cool, yourself!

Trust me, wouldn't matter. I'd still not be able to come up with something that impressive. I've actually not worked in almost a year because of a work-related injury, and even with a two year old toddler and a three week old infant get a fairly consistant amount of modelling time. That kind of work does not just take time. It takes talent (and a lot of it) and it's obvious you have that talent.

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801

So here's a quick question: Did you have accurate references on the digital camo? Or did you just use the photos you mentioned, and got it "close enough?"

Second, could you give a more step-by-step description of how you did the digital camo? Thanks.

So here's a quick question: Did you have accurate references on the digital camo? Or did you just use the photos you mentioned, and got it "close enough?"

Second, could you give a more step-by-step description of how you did the digital camo? Thanks.

After seeing his work I went to find some pics of the real thing. Amazingly he almost got those thing on the right places! AWESOME! :cheers:

Eric

Rob,

Most all the superlatives have been said by the people above. So I shall just sit here and DROOL all over my keyboard!

I think I will go get out my knitting needles and rocking chair, toss away the model kits and veg away!! I just want to add one word to the above superlatives.....

post-14-1098164226.jpg

Knit one, purl two,

WELL DONE SIR!!!

Jack aka BUGFAN