VMFA-314 Black Knights VW-00 165188

Thanks very much, guys! To answer a couple questions, here's how I did the paint job (and yes , Kev, the linked references were the only ones I had at the time):

Step 1: lots of 'liquid courage', research, and head scratching...

Step2: I enlarged the kit decal placement diagrams (roughly) to scale, and using the zoom function on my computer (to better see the paint job), drew the design, with HB (no.2) pencil, T-square, and 30/60 triangle (rudimentary drafting tools). Then I recopied the drawings at a darker setting, laminated them with clear contact paper, and, using an X-acto knife, cut the masks from the semi-transparent 40mm Tamiya tape, going from darkest (36118 dark gunship grey), to lightest (36375 Lt. ghost grey). Actually, after I removed the masks (of course), I realized that (it appears) this aircraft was painted in 2-tone TPS, then given the MARPAT treatment...an easy fix, 'till I took the three layers of masks off! ( I guess I'm not so patient, after all. Hem.)

As for the ordinance, (or lack thereof ), I didn't want to cover up the paint job, and I've only seen one picture of this jet "fully loaded", and that was with what could be called a "demo" config., for it's debut at a flightshow. (Don't worry, Dan- I have more pylons/fuel tanks etc. primed and ready to go if I change my mind... :thumbsup: ).

Thanks again for the kind words, gentleman, especially in light of all the inaccuracies & "comprimises" I made on this one-you guys ROCK! -Rob

Oops...I misspelled "Ordnance". Sorry! It won't happen again, I swear... :thumbsup: !

-Rob

Oh yeah, Dk. Gunship gray=FS 36081-Doh! (must've been the afformentioned "liquid courage" doing the typing... :woo: )

Edited by Rraab

I counted 7 EGA's, SSgtd6152, and they are all (barely) visible in my photos...as my former Marine boss/drinking buddy used to say (usually after he bought the bar it's tenth round or so! "Improvise, adapt, and overcome").

Seriously, and with all due respect, thanks for taking the time to look at my attempt to do this thing some justice. :bandhead2: :D Semper, Rob

Thanks guys, it means alot coming from people who's work I have admired so much!... and Bob, I know there's no such thing as a "transporter", so how did you guys get my $3 decal sheet frrom SoCal to me so fast? -Thanks! (now I can add those canopy frame stencils!) :bandhead2:

P.S. sorry for the (previous) empty posts, my mistake .

Holy Smokes ! :bandhead2:

Man, great work with, well, you know ... The Paint !

Actually, the whole deal looks great, the details like the pilot giving the "Hang Loose" ...

Going with an "in-flight"display for such a project too, excellent choice ...

And, Welcome to ARC Rob !

Gregg

Oh MAN.......that is OUTSTANDING.!!!

Rob, that is just simply superb.That is the best representation of that paintjob I've seen yet, and on a 32nd scale Hornet no less.

Unbelievable work! :lol: .....and it looks fantastic in those pics Guy photoshopped, talk about looking like the real deal. :whistle:

Amazing. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Jeff.

Edited by Gambler

That is very kind of you guys! I thought Guy's photoshopping looked really cool too...I guess I got some more learnin' to do in that dept.! Gregg, thanks again for answering my question about "margins" in forum FAQ...part of my problem was just simply knowing how to use the "return" key! I guess I should try typing more than just a few quick emails, then I would know this stuff! :cheers:

That's where I seen your sign in name Rob ... :D

Sorry I couldn't place it earlier ...

Glad I could help in a small way and it looks like you have the "Posting pictures" thing down now ...

Again, Beautiful Hornet ... :bandhead2:

Gregg

Wow....

Seriously - having looked at untold thousands upon thousands of aviation photos over the years, I've gotta say that's one of the absolute best and most seamless display of model building / photography I've ever seen... The background is simply perfect...

Wow....

:lol: