VMFA-314 Black Knights VW-00 165188

Thanks guys, you are too kind, and to answer some questions, that "background" is actually a flat rubber roof...I wish I could take credit for the "weathering", because it turned out pretty O.K.! Also, the toughest part of this was doing the drawings, from somewhat limited reference photos-I think the simple techniques I used here could be done (maybe better) by anyone , with the proper motivation...

Dave, that is too cool of you! You were a big inspiration for this build-when I read that you were doing a comprehensive sheet on this aircraft (as well as the "digital" AH-1W), I literally jumped out of my seat at the computer, grabbed a cold one, and drank a toast to 'ya! Thanks! That knowledge also meant that no matter how bad I screwed up, I'd get a chance to do it right, eventually! Please let me know what the guys think...I wish I could've put the names of the Marines who actually painted the real one on the FLG door...I just couldn't make 'em out! -Rob

Wow, thanks! I really appreciate that, guys!

John T.-I've checked out some of your builds here, and all I can say is...I hope I'm that good at this, someday!

Ken-I love your in-flight builds, esp. your "9-11 first responder" Eagle...I considered doing this one "going wheels up" (to showcase Academy's excellent landing gear), but talked myself out of it. It was really cool to see someone else pull it off so succesfully! (p.s.-I bet that base in the very last photo looks "familiar"... :woot.gif: )

Dave (Sig Sauer & Son)- Your encyclopedic knowledge and beautiful photography are definitely one of the highlights here on ARC-I am constantly inspired and amazed at the stuff you so routinely share with all of us! Thanks!

-Rob

Ken-I love your in-flight builds, esp. your "9-11 first responder" Eagle...I considered doing this one "going wheels up" (to showcase Academy's excellent landing gear), but talked myself out of it. It was really cool to see someone else pull it off so succesfully! (p.s.-I bet that base in the very last photo looks "familiar"... :) )

thanks Rob - you could put your Hornet on a trash can base, and overall it would still be much better package than I could do :lol:

Thank you all for the encouraging words! I have seen such amazing work by so many of you & I'm really glad you liked what I did.

-Steve F., Thanks & great job on 9 years of one of the best websites around! :thumbsup: & :cheers: ! (If I had only discovered this place sooner...!)

-luke, if by "interested in learning about this scheme and the project behind it" You mean the actual (1:1) aircraft (I'm assuming you do), all I know for sure is that they painted it around the same time as the MARPAT (digital) camo was first introduced to the Marine Corps.. I would love to know more about the conception, design, and execution of what must have been a marathon project, most/all of it (I'm guessing) done during "off" time by the air crew involved. If you find anything more, please let me know...I'm kinda' "interested", myself! :D

Thank you all for the encouraging words! I have seen such amazing work by so many of you & I'm really glad you liked what I did.

-Steve F., Thanks & great job on 9 years of one of the best websites around! :thumbsup: & :cheers: ! (If I had only discovered this place sooner...!)

Thanks very much, but Steve B. deserves all the credit for the day to day operations around here - these days, I just help out where I can. ;)

I have to say, it's not just the build...the photography is outstanding. In fact, if you were to Photoshop the mounting stand out of some of the photos, you'd swear that the pictures came from Fence Check or Airliners.net. This one in particular was one that I found very striking; I hope you don't mind that I took the liberty of taking the brass rod out of the image to illustrate my point:

awaykeep2.jpg

Once again, an amazing job all the way around. I look forward to seeing what you're planning for your next project. :D

Thanks again, Steve! If you get a chance, check out some of the other photos that Geedubulyer was so kind to "fix" a little way down page 1 of this thread- (and thanks for "doctoring" one yourself, of course! Looks great!) Hopefully, the next time I post some "in flight" photos, I will at least have a "passing" knowledge of how to do this myself. :thumbsup: -Rob

Edited by Rraab

Great minds think alike Steve. :P

Here are the remainder of the original "In-Flight" shots with the pole removed.

another1a.jpg

away2a.jpg

flybya.jpg

keeper1a.jpg

keeper6b.jpg

keepera.jpg

I think it is safe to say that the popularity of the actual model is unaffected by the PS pics so I hope you enjoy these Rob.

Personally, I re-visit this thread on a daily basis. If there was such a thing as The ARC Oscars, this would get my vote as "Best In-Flight model, 2008" :D

OUTSTANDING!

;)

Edited by geedubelyer

Dude, just saw these photo and my jaw fell to the ground. If this is what you can do after 25 years off modeling. I can't even imagine what will be coming out of your kitchen if you did this on regular bases. Hands down by far the best digi-camo paint job to this day... :D and all this in 3 months...wow!!

Mike