Ummm, what happened to the pinned Viper FAQ post?

If you're desperate google the title and get then cached page. One thing about the web, once it's up you really can't get it down. Otherwise try Hyperscale, it's there.

Edited by a4s4eva
If you're desperate google the title and get then cached page. One thing about the web, once it's up you really can't get it down. Otherwise try Hyperscale, it's there.

Unfortunately, my cached page was toast long ago. Do you have a direct link to the Hyperscale version? I've tried to navigate that site but it's very chaotic and hard to find things.

Thanks.

if i were to guess, i think that ab decals scott noticed a possible problem with the tail end of the kinetic viper. think in the asking what others thought, saw as they looked at the sprue shots, or were recieving theirs in the mail, if that part actually had the close to correct angle. looking at the pictures of the kit, it did look iffy. unfortunately alot of people jumped his butt. know the wait has been frustrating, but i do feel he had a valid point and instead got treated like a total turd. somewhat feel like he should be owed an apology, as all he was really tring to do was protect us as consumers. i would like to know what is right, and not right about the kit before i buy it.

if i were to guess, i think that ab decals scott noticed a possible problem with the tail end of the kinetic viper. think in the asking what others thought, saw as they looked at the sprue shots, or were recieving theirs in the mail, if that part actually had the close to correct angle. looking at the pictures of the kit, it did look iffy. unfortunately alot of people jumped his butt. know the wait has been frustrating, but i do feel he had a valid point and instead got treated like a total turd. somewhat feel like he should be owed an apology, as all he was really tring to do was protect us as consumers. i would like to know what is right, and not right about the kit before i buy it.

Ditto. I think that often times we forsake him, Jake, and the others that know what they are talking about on the boards. They are just trying to help, and until WE realize this, and quit jumping them for it, then it's very likely they are not going to be as willing to participate.

The main point should be this: If you are one of the people who want an uber-accurate, absolutely as close to perfect as possible model, then listen to what these guys say, and correct the things that they tell you to (or not buy the kits that they say are off at all) accordingly. If you don't care about how accurate it is...if you're one of those "looks like a _____ to me" people, then great! Disregard the post and build it how you want to. No further comment is necessary. Just because this stuff does not help you, does not mean it will not help others.

I'm glad that the FAQ is still up on Hyperscale, but it saddens me that we "lost the privelege" of having it on here for us to see. I don't go to Hyperscale, so it's not readily available to me now. I feel like the many are being punished for the sins of the few. That's not fair to Scott to have to feel like he needs to take this stance, and it's not fair to me and others that did nothing wrong.

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801
They are just trying to help, and until WE realize this, and quit jumping them for it, then it's very likely they are not going to be as willing to participate.
I've been bitten a few times for making comments. :thumbsup:

Now I'm trying real hard not to participate but I occasionally slip...

Double ditto!! I saw some one call him a "uber rivet counter" whereas if that person actually Read Scotts post he stated this is what he Thinks may be a problem. Also it wasn't a small anal detail, but a major shape problem with the airframe.

I know a lot of posts were humorous or at least tried to be, but some people can't understand that different people want different things in there models and went personal. That is sad because in the long run this is just a hobby for the vast majority of us..

Sorry I will get down from my soap box.

It's a sad day when really valuable aircraft information gets removed due to people jumping someone's butt over their posting of valid points of view.

So much for the "discussion" part of our "Air Discussion Forums".

A "healthy debate" is the various merits of each kit. Unfortunately, its tough to "debate" quit whining and just build it" or "can't you just be happy they made it". That's not debate, that's posturing.

"Healthy debate" is fun, informative and part of the normal learning process. Having some yahoo e-mail you and blather on about what an a-hole you are because you are picking on his new "favorite" kit is not so much fun.

Personally, I think it was the obnoxious e-mail from the yahoo...

I'm interested in accuracy. More often than not I take it into account when I purchase kits. Frankly, If I can't be a great modeler, at least I can start with the most accurate kit possible. Because of the above incident, I've been thinking that I need to go out an actually join a club because I'm developing the opinion it is impossible to discuses accuracy over the web. I'm thinking it is something that is best done face to face, real time. Like some other type of sporting events :thumbsup:

I have to admit, I can’t say I’m firmly in the “accuracy†camp or the “it looks like a ____†camp. I guess that makes me a little two faced. On rare occasions there have been individuals that when commenting on accuracy, come across as self serving or arrogant. That type of post can push me to the “it looks like†camp. For the folks that can explain the flaws, but do it in a way that shows reverence for the subject I always eagerly read & heed. On other occasions, I’ve stared at all the pictures and the squiggly lines, but I still don’t see were the inaccuracy is. When that happens, what else can you do…you are in the “it looks like a ____†because to the best of your photo/post interpretation abilities, it really dose “look like a ____ “

But I truly believe that the yahoo above was way out of line.

Edited by Sabre Freak
Personally, I think it was the obnoxious e-mail from the yahoo...

Personally, I believe you are wrong. Getting an email from some yahoo is easily dismissed as the acts of an idiot. What is worse is when a whole pack of wolves let themselves loose and try to stamp out any critisisim.

I'm interested in accuracy.

Accuracy doesn't just "happen". It takes a dedicated group of people - people who want to do things as good as they can make it - and preferably better than the opposition. Kinetic had the opportunity to study the Tamiya kit and countless pictures on the web - of which there is an abundance. There really should be no exuses to get things noticeably wrong.

Because of the above incident, I've been thinking that I need to go out an actually join a club because I'm developing the opinion it is impossible to discuses accuracy over the web.

Yep. Sadly I agree with you there. And the discussion forums will be poorer for it if they don't actually allow discussions to take place, merely becoming an outlet for a slap on the back and "atta boys".

I'm thinking it is something that is best done face to face, real time. Like some other type of sporting events :cheers:

I'd love to visit the occasional baseball game, but that is not easy from these neck of the woods. Similarly a discussion in my local model shop is not going to give the information to you. It's not really practical for me to jump on a plane to see Dave Roof to get his view on the Academy Hornet. The web can broadcast this information far more efficiently.

To often I want to post "Shut up and build it" to the self serving accuracy hounds that post just to show how great they are.

So it is a fight against *perceived* snobbery then... You think that because someone points out mistakes, they know something you do, and in order to elevate yourself, you tell them to shut up? Believe you me, I have seen some posts where the poster seems too full of themselves for their own good, but I can't say I have seen this attitude in posts where one tries to discuss facts and merits about a model kit release.

Jens

Edited by jenshb
And I have to admit, I'm all over the map on this one. To often I want to post "Shut up and build it" to the self serving accuracy hounds that post just to show how great they are.

I don´t think he wants to show anythink like you are saying - a lot of modellers are interested in accuracy - for a LOT of modelers is accuracy of built model at first place - these people (I am in this group) are VERY obliged for a skilled view of people like Scott. They are the main reason I am visiting ARC Forums.

Thats my point of view.

It's a sad day when really valuable aircraft information gets removed due to people jumping someone's butt over their posting of valid points of view.

So much for the "discussion" part of our "Air Discussion Forums".

I'd got exactly the same treatment in an another board about Kinetic, for the simple fact that I'd introduce the kit in a dedicated topic.

At first, posts like "it's a horrible dupe" "chinese companies don't know how to innovate".

Some people explain how grainy the model was because they saw that on the testshots.

In the end, I received injurious mails and the topic was closed.

Different approch, same treatment. :cheers: