Just got my Kinetic F-16DJ/DG lots of photos

I think the IPs need help. They are tiny and the detail isn't that good on them, partly because they are so small. They look a lot better on the instruction sheet than they do on the sprue.

Definitely

Stephen

It will be interesting to see the comments about the fit of some of the parts since there is a little modeling required in the following areas: Intake bottom - a small gap when joining the two sides; fin (terrible ejector marks destroy what should be tight seam on the leading edge); exhaust (too many poorly placed sprue attachment points, exhaust tube needs beveling to insert into "housing"; fit to fuselage not flush). Note that some fit issues are peculiar only to the single or two seater parts:

FitChallengescrop-1.jpg

Not being a plastic model engineer, it's hard for me to understand why the Kinetic folks have put so many sprue attachment points on edges or why the ejectors can't be located on less "intrusive" locations where the excellent surface detail isn't wiped out. Seems like the Mad Riveter has been chased away by The Mad Ejector.

Certainly not the precision fit/engineering of the Tamiya kit, but nevertheless an outstanding effort on Kinetic's part.

Gene K

Ejector marks and ejector dysfonction are classic first batch problems in mold injection.

They' ll be solved in the next batch.

The exhaust ring injection points 'one is more serious, some material must be added.

But there's corrective actions.

The gap in the MCID intake "cover" 's got lot of c.a possbilities. Light like change temp° settings, strong like take so material.

Ejector location depends on the part location in the mold and his aspect ratio.

For the left half-stab, the problematic ejector can be relocated on the left, there's enough space.

Why the exhaust has so much injection points?

Because it's a relatively big piece and worst, it's circular:

- with 1 i.p, you will have a huge mold seam at the opposite side(visible) or will have to modify temp° settings.

- with 2 i.p, you will have 2 less visibles mold seams and warping.

etc.

- with 4, the piece is in "rheological equilibrium".

The 4 connections points inside, are here to prevent short shots and to help the injection.

Edited by shion
Ejector marks ....They' ll be solved in the next batch.

Thanks for that reply, Shion. I assume by your obvious expertise and knowledge of the kit's production, that you're associated with (or have ties to) Kinetic . If so, am really impressed that the company is keeping contact with us modelers. Hopefully such efforts will result in more great kits -- and of course a loyalty to the company that helps it prosper.

For the left half-stab, the problematic ejector can be relocated on the left, there's enough space.

That piece has been my biggest challenge in fitting the kit, so I'm glad to hear it will be remedied! Hopefully when the ejectors are moved, the step between the parts will also be fixed.

Again, thanks very much for the reply, Shion. I'm certainly looking forward to the next issues of the Viper - the "corrections" you mentioned will improve an already impressive kit.

Gene K

Thanks for that reply, Shion. I assume by your obvious expertise and knowledge of the kit's production, that you're associated with (or have ties to) Kinetic . If so, am really impressed that the company is keeping contact with us modelers. Hopefully such efforts will result in more great kits -- and of course a loyalty to the company that helps it prosper.

That piece has been my biggest challenge in fitting the kit, so I'm glad to hear it will be remedied! Hopefully when the ejectors are moved, the step between the parts will also be fixed.

Again, thanks very much for the reply, Shion. I'm certainly looking forward to the next issues of the Viper - the "corrections" you mentioned will improve an already impressive kit.

Gene K

No, I'm not associated with Kinetic.

I'm just a plastics engineer, who deals with this kind of process troubleshootings and defects every day. :lol:

If you want to get a superdetailed cockpit then yes it is but out of the box the cockpit looks awesome, I would only add aftermarket seats and then you would have a great pit.

Erick,

Outside of the seats, is the Aires pit really that much better than the kit's?

Gene K

Will take some tonight Erick

Man that looks great! Any chance of some side profile pictures of the front fuse, Erik? Kinetic and Tamiya. Thanks.

Chuck

How does the WAR HUD look? I am really inerested in seeing it up close, ....

This is the best I could do considering how small the part is. Not having seen the real thing, I can only judge against photos, so I'll let the experten comment further.

WarHudSmaller.jpg

Gene K

any feedbacks?

I glued some parts, some thghts:

cons:

- yes it's not a Tamiya-easy build kit.

- some location tabs don't help, you'd better chop them off (on the CBU-87 and others)

- vertical tab assembly, I finally use surfacer and masking tape to reduce the step, location tab is useless too.

pros:

- details everywhere, I really fond of the late-type MLG wheels.

To be continued.

I saw AM kit an hour ago and must say, that Scott was right with a shape of fuselage between flaperons and hor. stabilizers... That shape of line coming from main wing to elevator is almost straight, which is not accurate. But it´s not totaly wrong 90deg right angle, just a too little angled and curvy.

Comparing to Tamiya it seems like that, but I have to say, that parts was in the sprue, so it was not so easy to see - I don´t think it is a big deal...

Why compare it with the Tamiya kit?

It's a replica at 1/48 scale of the f-16 or a full-scale replica of the Tamiya kit?

Habu provides a really handy and valuable material: link

See fuselage section edge between 450 and 525.

Are you able to find a angle/vertical at 450?

On the Kinetic kit, it's the same thing.

Tamiya kit isn't a paragon of truth.

Why compare it with the Tamiya kit?

It's a replica at 1/48 scale of the f-16 or a full-scale replica of the Tamiya kit?

Habu provides a really handy and valuable material: link

See fuselage section edge between 450 and 525.

Are you able to find a angle/vertical at 450?

On the Kinetic kit, it's the same thing.

Tamiya kit isn't a paragon of truth.

Well, for me - Tamiya is really ACCURATE kit. So with TAMIYA I am comparing any kit available - its logical.

I was not able to compare it together, so if you have this opportunity, plus Habu´s drawing, and you are telling there´s not a problem - just throw away my post.