p-47 in Normandy

Okay, long time listener, first time caller.

I found a picture on Google Images taken from a Life magazine back in 1944. It shows a P-47 receiving maintenance in Normandy fairly recently after the landings.

One of the interesting things I noticed was that the propeller hub had a spiral on it?

It's a D model Razorback with a white cowling, bombs under the wings, and full invasion stripes

Also, there's an unusual type of tractor pictured in front of the 'Bolt.

Can anyone direct me to unit, and let me know a little more about this? Also, could anybody tell me what the tractor is?

Thanks much for the help!!!

Scott

I don't know of any unit that used that as a squadron/group id. I found the photo.

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/f?q=N...e0daaffe7b226ac

A few things to note.

Insignia under both wings. Looks like there is the start of a black/white checker board pattern being painted on. Maybe 78th FG? Not sure about time line from when switched from P-47's to P-51's to match up with that time frame. It's not much to go on.

Mike

It looks to me as though the invasion stripes are not on the wing upper surfaces. That dates the picture to sometime in late Summer - early Fall 1944 (based upon the surroundings).

edited to correct spelling (or should I say speeling :thumbsup: )

Edited by Chuck1945

Great photo and one I've not seen before.

I would suggest its a 9th AAF Jug rather than 8th.

The 390th FS 366th FG had black/white cowel flaps as shown here, so it's a good chance its from there. It would also make sense for a 9th AAF to be rearming on the continent at this time which as suggested above is likely to be late summer/early autumn. But I could be wrong !

P

Scott,

I think Pete's nailed it. According to Kenn Rust*, the 366th FG was ashore and established at Advanced Landing Ground A-1 (St. Pierre du Mont) by 20 June 1944. The 366th sported white trim on the cowling and the white band on the tail. And all three FSs in the Group had the spiral on the prop spinner. Most especially, only the 390th FS had the alternately-painted black-and-white cowl flaps.**

Cheers,

M'Dog

* Kenn C. Rust, The 9th Air Force in World War II (Fallbrook, Calif.: Aero Publishers, 1970), p. 87. "B2" was the 390th's code.

** Ibid., p. 199.

Edited by M'Dog
The tractor is a Cletrac M2.....more pictures here.

http://www.philsaeronauticalstuff.com/Cletrac/Cletrac.html

Cool tractor, I just built the one from my B-24 kit. With weathering they look pretty cool. In the pics I notice the big gas bottle on the fender is green. I painted it yellow on mine. Is it supposed to be green? I'll post a pic later.

Re the invasion stripes - the lack of upper surface stripes dates it to sometime very soon after the invasion or after. The upper surface stripes were ordered removed within (IIRC from memory) about 2-3 weeks after D-Day, so the lack of them doesn't do a lot to date the picture for you.

I'd imagine the spinner spiral was most likely a personal thing with the pilot. No USAAF group or squadron of which I'm aware ever used such a thing as an official recognition marking, especially on something as tiny as a hub dome (way different from a Bf109 spinner in size).

J

The other two things I've noticed about this after staring at it for more time than I probably should......

There are large white X's on the wing tank/bomb racks, and it looks like the bombs have had graffiti marked on the ends.

It's just one of the most interesting photos that I've seen in a long time.

Scott

• 1 year later...

I know I digging up the past here.... but I came stumbled across something yesterday...

Remember this image ----

4e0daaffe7b226ac_large.jpg

I came across this yesterday

na-395-a7-x_1_.jpg

its at the bottom of the page of this website

The houses in the background are the same... and if you zoom in on the Life picture you can see the arm of the artwork!

So the Life picture is of "Miss Second Front" A7-X P-47-15-RE S/N 42-76325 Pilot:Louis Vieck (395th FS)

w-395-p47-ms-2-front.jpg

Edited by moeggo

K..bit more research...turns out the P-47B had the "Malcolm" hood grafted on to improve rear sight lines. After some googling( go figure...Google chrome says "googling" is a spelling error!?!?)..this is one of only two pictures I have found of one. pretty cool that you can see it before and after modification. With all this info out now...some one REALLY needs to do a decal set. we have art work, squadron, Unique canopy that shouldn't be too hard to make...I see a winning combo here!!!!!

There were some P-47D Razorbacks that were modified with Malcolm hoods, but the chances of a B model having the blown canopy are fairly small. The only way I'd see a B model having a blown hood would be if it were one of the 5th Emergency Rescue Squadron birds that were used for CSAR duties over the channel. I have, however, seen D models in 1944 that had blown canopies just before the D-25 came into service.

Jon

No P-47B used out of the states. I think he hit the wrong key.

I can't post on Hyperscale ? so can someone post on there for me a reply on the question on K4-S dot that was how the 511 FS marked there second K4-S in the squadron,instead of bar.Thanks.

Nice looking P-47 thats for sure.

Rick

Edited by rpeck

Sorry to get off the subject alittle bit but kq4kpq could you tell me which B-24 kit has a cletrac M2 included I have been searching for one to park next to my B-26 Marauder in 1:48

Thanks

Don923(flylo)