1/72 Heller Super Etendard in Iraqi service (1983-1985)

Decided to do a strictly OOB Super Etendard to distract myself from my other GB that stalled at the interior (that was supposed to be an OOB :) )

The Gone But Not Forgotten theme is a loaner from France that was used briefly by the Iraqis from 1983-1985 to strike at neutral tankers in the Persian Gulf. This caused quite a stir at that time. The five SuE loaned accounted for at least 22 ships sunk/destroyed during the Tanker War in their short stay with the Iraqi Air Force, before the survivors were returned to the French Navy upon delivery of Iraq's own Exocet capable Mirages F1 EQ5.

This is the only picture I found online (heavily censored but with Iraqi AF insignia and Iraqi flag) was attached to bad edd's build here on ARC forum.

irakisue.JPG

Apparently, the SuE in Iraqi service are flown without national insignia and only had serial/service number marked on them.

ACIG.org has some colour plates of Iraqi Air Force jets. I planned to build no. 66 without insignia.

Visit ACIG.org website

Cheers,

Giles

Salut Patrick!

I love this OOB!

Have flown through basic assembly as a result of enforced discipline not to add any extras.

Building a clean bird - landing gear retracted (no temptation to detail), no weapons (no need to fuss with correct exocet pylon). For my auto piloted "top secret" version,without IP (you can peek at my control stick detailed with a scaled sized red button!). I have painted an Iraqi pilot (that is all you can see really after the canopy is down) and am undecided about the ejection seat.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

Haven't done much on this build for a month. I was struggling to complete my OOB Helicopter GB that has gone totally OTT :worship: , but that is not to be... I shall finish my MD500 nevertheless.

Having flown through basic assembly of the Super Etendard as a result of enforced discipline not to overdo an OOB a month ago, I opted to install an Iraqi pilot on the kit's approximation of a Martin Baker Mk4/6 (that is all you can see really with the canopy down).

IMG_4313.jpg

Primed bird... the cockpit doesn't look too bare once the pilot and ejection seat is fitted :worship: .

IMG_4314.jpg

I drilled out the air brakes's perforation - it (the depth) may not be to scale, but looks a huge improvement over the kit's original shallow pits.

Will be adding a few details (the ejection seat pull rings, etc) and drilling out a few airs scoops/exhaust vents. Then it will hopefully go back in the paint shop over the weekend.

Happy New Year!

Cheers,

Giles

• 3 weeks later...
Will be adding a few details (the ejection seat pull rings, etc) and drilling out a few airs scoops/exhaust vents. Then it will hopefully go back in the paint shop over the weekend.

Now, I know why I couldn't complete my virgin GB in time... :salute:

It's almost two weeks since the last update and zero progress so far... It looks like a rerun unless I do something soon. Should have struck while the iron is hot :doh: and just finish it.

So, here I am in the airport departure lounge, twisting a strand of copper filament between two toothpicks to form the ejection seat pull ring... And, getting weird looks from men in business suits :P . May I get to prime and paint it later tonight ;) .

Giles

• 2 weeks later...

Have not forgotten this...

Just finished spraying the two tone camouflage (using up some Tamiya spray cans bought from Beatties I had for at least ten years that I managed to find in the pile of staff we shipped out to Asia).

Will try me yellowed HELLER decals tomorrow and hopely post pictures before the dateline is up.

Giles

My 20 year old heavily yellowed (I didn't have time to try sunning because of the dateline) HELLER decals worked. The end result was surprisingly acceptable, but you could see the yellowed carrier film :o. And, I did have some trouble with the large piece for the aileron markings.

Here are some shots of the "almost done" Super Etendard... it ain't great, but like my 7 year old daugther said "hey, you finally finished something!"

IMG_4818.jpg

IMG_4820.jpg

This build is "almost totally" OOB. The only additional bits are plastic cards, stretched sprue and copper wire.

I opted to add the Iraqi Insignia (actually these were robbed from Revell's 1/144 MiG-21, but they kinda look OK :salute: ), the version without national markings just look too bare...

I just need to touch up the nose cone (supposed to be in black)...

Giles

Thought it is good form to upload the photographic evidence (already posted at finished thread).

Bird was done less than 6 hours before dateline.

IMG_4830.jpg

IMG_4831.jpg

The final statistics:

1) No aftermarket product was harmed or used in the entire build;

2) It was almost OBB (only plastic card, stretch sprue, copper wire, some "spare" decals from another kit and paint were added).

3) ALL items used (except for the TAMIYA spray cans and copper wires for the ejector seat) are at least 20 years old :woot.gif:.

4) This is my FIRST completed model in 21 years (last one was finished in 1988 before I went to university).

It's been a quick (for me) and fun buid of an "unpopular" kit that could easily have been forgotten after I had gotten rid of my 20 year old stash of my "popualr " teen-series fighter kits (I gave them away when I thought I was done with modeling :doh:, at least it was for a good cause :thumbsup:).

Now that I am back, I might just go out to the nearest LHS and buy myself some new F-14s, -15s,-16s and -18s :whistle:

Cheers,

Giles

Edited by giles

Thanks for the kind comments guys!

Yup, it has been too many year... I am glad I completed something.

This is my second attempt and the first completed one after restarting in November last year :). My first attempt (a HES 500MD for the Helicopter GB) ran out of steam after it morphed from an intended OOB build into atotally out of control OTT build. I tried to stay sane, but could not resist AMS. So, I ended up with a half finished bird with scale thickness windows and doors... and the works (guess work mainly... :whistle:) I will pick it up later in the year after the memory or Future, sanding, re-Future, resanding, re-Future, ad nauseum has faded a little...

Giles