1/48th Spangdalem A-10 Warthog

Gorgeous, Shaun. Easily one of the best Hog models I've ever seen.

Jake

Were not quite there yet, but its getting closer.

I'm thinking of maybe placing the model in a diorama, I got a few bits I could add to the scene.

Thanks for the encouragment folks, may this will kick start me back onto the project.

Shaun.

Edited by ShaunBD
  • 4 months later...

After another break from the model, I restarted work on the project again this week.

Spent the past few days detail painting and adding small details the may have been broken off earlier.

The various sub assembleys have now been finshed and are waiting for matt coating.

The model is allmost ready for the final flat coat, just got to add a few more decals (wing shields to sides of fuselage) and finsh a small bit of detail painting.

If you compare the prevous update photo, you can see that I've toned down the anti slip walkways panels now as the black panel looked to stark against the gray paint.

tonedownwalkway2.jpg

tonedownwalkways.jpg

Stores ready for matt coat.

Weapons.jpg

Getting closer to the finish now

Shaun.

Edited by ShaunBD

Been playing with the underside weathering and I think were allmost there now. Do you think the back end is dirty enough?

dirtybackend.jpg

The Aires ACES seat is painted, Just got to add the RBF flags and safety pins before dropping it into the cockpit.

A-10ACESseat.jpg

Shaun.

Edited by ShaunBD

wow that weathering is pure madness.i love the look of the dirty and used ac.i am planing on building an a-10 in 72 but with the markings of a a-10 that landed damaged by an Igla shoulder mounted A-A missile in macedonia during the 1999 war against yugoslavia.

Glad your all still following the build.

I'm still playing with small areas of the weathering.

I was not happy with the colour of the AfterBurner decals for the formation light strips once the airframe has been weathered, they were way to yellow and bright. I tried toning them down and failed to cover the bright yellow with pastels.

I then came up with a great idea, I had some Tamiya tape that had slight matt black over spray from another project. I cut strips from the spare used tape and placed them over the decals with excellent results.

Here is a before and after photo of the strips, the model looks a lot better now with the dirty tape strips in place.

formationstrips.jpg

Shaun.

Edited by ShaunBD
  • 2 weeks later...

Got a bit more done, allmost there now.

The model now sits on its own legs and I've added the remaining pylons. Looks like 70g of lead was plenty with no hint of tail sitting.

wheels-1.jpg

Spend the weekend finishing the detail painting and adding a few more parts and small details.

Hobby boss has chosen to ignore the balance weights for the split airbrakes,so I've added the detail myself. I made these from cutting a helicopter tail rotor blade up and using plastic card. Hobby boss have also missing the slot that the balance weight passes though with the upper airbrake is extended, Its too late now to fix this detail.

balanceweight.jpg

Were about 98% done now, just got to finish the RBF tags and glue the stores and flaps on.

Shaun.

Edited by ShaunBD
  • 2 weeks later...