P-39Q Tuskegee Airmen

Here's my Academy 1/72 scale P-39Q with some improvements. The cockpit and rear decking were detailed from Eduard PE and scratch, landing gear/gear doors got the same treatment and I replaced the awful main wheels with ones from my spares box. I also fixed the nose gear by moving it to the very front of the nose bay and I made a new forward nose gear door from thin plastic card. I added nose guns from metal tube and drilled out the nose cannon barrel and engine exhausts. A small "splitter" was added to the engine air intake and I got rid of the silly looking drop tank belly shackle and re-scribed that area. Finally, I re-shaped the gun vents on either side of the nose. This a/c served with the Tuskegee airmen in Italy in 1944. Decals are Aeromaster and paints are acrylics with pastel and MIG Pigments used for most of the weathering. The paint chipping was done using a silver Prisma Color pastel pencil.

p39done1.jpg

p39done2.jpg

p39done5.jpg

p39donebelly.jpg

Joe Youngerman

Edited by WW2nut

Thanks Ken! I highly recommend the Prisma Pastel pencils. You can get them at any art or craft store. I got the technique from studying Steve Hustad's work. He is an amazing modeller and has some really great weathering techniques. I think you can google him to see some of his work.

Joe

Thanks Ken! I highly recommend the Prisma Pastel pencils. You can get them at any art or craft store. I got the technique from studying Steve Hustad's work. He is an amazing modeller and has some really great weathering techniques. I think you can google him to see some of his work.

Joe

thanks for the tips Joe