Those top shots would be very helpful if you could find them. The link you provided is very helpful. I noticed that the picture of 75072 in the hanger has the ECM antenna on the tail boom. Do you know if this is an exception or did any other 125th aircraft receive this upgrade?

It would be the exception; the tail antenna was not typically fitted to A and B models.

Regards,

Murph

Those top shots would be very helpful if you could find them. The link you provided is very helpful. I noticed that the picture of 75072 in the hanger has the ECM antenna on the tail boom. Do you know if this is an exception or did any other 125th aircraft receive this upgrade?

excellent eye! I didn't notice the addition until I uploaded the photos

It would be the exception; the tail antenna was not typically fitted to A and B models.

Regards,

Murph

thanks Murph

Here's a high res of the back of F-15C 78-0543, which also shows many other details nicely

F-15_102ndFW_BBB_7788.jpg

So inquiring minds still want to know - when is somebody going to do a 1/48 scale A/C canopy turtle deck with some detail in it to replace the un-detailed kit part, and make redundant the less than worthless 1980s Verlinden PE set that doesn't fit for crap and is like putting together a Chinese puzzle?

Mike & Mike??

:lol:

J

Thanks for the info. I am building a Florida ANG bird form the Hasegawa kit and the TwoBobs decals and was not sure if I needed to modify this area or not. Pictures of this part of the aircraft seem to be difficult to come by. This one, although not totally clear, seems to back up your information since it still has the original fairing. I have Jake's book and it is excellent, but it doesn't really address this area.

Thanks again to everyone who assisted with this.

Which FL ANG bird are you doing? I have shots from their participation in Red Flag this summer...not sure if any will help but if you let me know the number of the particular one you're doing I can take a look... :thumbsup:

Little bump aft of radome is your biggest exterior clue that it's an AESA V2 jet also.

The Band 3 "bump" is an upgrade to the ICMS, not related to the AESA. There are two: one on top and one below, just aft of the radome. Nearly the entire fleet of Cs have this, but no Ds.

Jake

Edited by jmel
Which FL ANG bird are you doing? I have shots from their participation in Red Flag this summer...not sure if any will help but if you let me know the number of the particular one you're doing I can take a look... :bandhead2:

I was planing on doing 76033 from the Twobobs sheet, but if you have pictures that include crew names and tail numbers that would certainly open the possiblity of doing a differnt aircraft. Thanks in advance.

Also as a side note?

MSIP B's and D's dont have the right side tail boom that MSIP C's have. They retain the pointed tips ala the vast majority of MSIP A's and B's. Also, your milage may vary on them having tail booms at all..as sometimes inexperienced pilots or student pilots will drag the tails on the runway, grinding them down and necessitating a sheet metal replacement..which is almost always just a blunt, square piece of metal. Sorry about the pic quality, it was insanely smokey that day due to the California wild fires and the heat (95+ degrees)

He's a pic of a Kingsley D, 78-569, that still has its tail booms, note the lack of the antenna:

P8210075.jpg

The Band 3 "bump" is an upgrade to the ICMS, not related to the AESA. There are two: one on top and one below, just aft of the radome. Nearly the entire fleet of Cs have this, but no Ds.

Jake

Not related to AESA is right but it's a visual clue that the jet has it.

MSIP B's and D's dont have the right side tail boom that MSIP C's have. They retain the pointed tips ala the vast majority of MSIP A's and B's.

Jonathan,

That is incorrect. Ken posted links to three pictures on the first page of this thread of a D model "tub" with the antenna (post#5), and I also posted on the front page an explanation for it (factory delivered MSIP versus depot modified MSIP). There have been exceptions, as should be expected on jets that average around 25 years in service to begin with and which have served in both the active duty and Guard with their differing funding programs.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
Not related to AESA is right but it's a visual clue that the jet has it.

No, it's really not. Nearly the entire fleet of Cs have the ICMS Band 3 upgrade, with the exception of those jets at training squadrons at Tyndall and the Weapons School. The two aren't related. Not all jets with AESA have the Band 3 nodule, and not all jets with Band 3 have AESA.

Jake