Kiowa Warrior 10th Mtn.Div

Thanks John, i did have slight problems with the flush section of the doors, but u tackled it from the inside part by sanding and contionuing of the slotted part. Then everything fell in right as it was supposed to. I did however broke a little piece of the top of the port door by accident, but i managed to fix it up. More pics in a few days!

Merry Christmas!

I did some small stuff here...

The wiring for the hellfire launcher: I'm not too sure where the 2 thinner wires go to so i winged it. Are they supposed to connect somewhere in the UWP?

P1010001.jpg

P1010002-4.jpg

Some details on the bottom, not yet done

P1010006-7.jpg

I wired the IR jammer

P1010004-1.jpg

and added the huge cable running down the canopy... Anyone have a picture of the small hooks used to store helmets on?

P1010013-1.jpg

And I have a question for mr.Werner: i had a hard time getting along with the MPLH landing gear. I think the UWP's i made are a little bent and crooked so it just didn't have the correct look. The hellfire launcher was almost on top of the gear struts and the whole airframe was very high. So i opted to use the ordinary landing gear set. Is there a chance a Kiowa Warrior with MPLH gear will swap for normal ones once on deployment or something like that?

MarioK

That's really looking good. I believe the answer to your question about switching back to the normal skids from the MPLH gear is yes. It could be switched back, sure Floyd can add more. Did you use the kit UWP's? Wonder why it didn't all line up?

Chuck

Mario,

What a great job!! You really kicked butt on the wiring going to the pylons. Much better than mine. What did you use for the connectors? I tried to thicken the ends of mine with superglue to simulate the connector plugs but I like your approach a lot.

I can't wait to see your KW with some paint on it.

John

The wiring for the hellfire launcher: I'm not too sure where the 2 thinner wires go to so i winged it. Are they supposed to connect somewhere in the UWP?

and added the huge cable running down the canopy... Anyone have a picture of the small hooks used to store helmets on?

And I have a question for mr.Werner: i had a hard time getting along with the MPLH landing gear. I think the UWP's i made are a little bent and crooked so it just didn't have the correct look. The hellfire launcher was almost on top of the gear struts and the whole airframe was very high. So i opted to use the ordinary landing gear set. Is there a chance a Kiowa Warrior with MPLH gear will swap for normal ones once on deployment or something like that?

To answer your questions. The wiring on the Hellfire Launcher with the two thinner wires is perfect. They go into the airframe just like you did it. It is the same on both sides.

Page33-4.jpg

The small hooks as you requested. Same hooks as have been in use forever.

MMbeanies.jpg

I tried to show in the book that the UWPs are actually angled. This will probably be the problem with the Hellfire and MPLH gear. I also think the UWP is not as vertical as it should be either. Not sure about the airframe being high. I had the actual struts measured and nailed the measurements. As for changing back and forth, that happened all the time. The units determined what gear to use. We, as crew, would rather have the regular gear as it was significantly lighter and to us seemed more crashworthy. If you were being deployed by aircraft we would keep the MPLH gear on. I really was hoping to see this baby with MPLH. Oh well.

As for the bent and crooked the white metal easily can be straightened. I tried my best to package them so they wouldn't get bent in shipping. Use a straight edge to get the straightness back. It really is easy if you go slow. I really wanted to have actual tubing in the sets but all the people I talked to about casting it said no way. If I did tubing the cost would be at least twice as much because I would have had to hand make every vertical strut. Lots of work on my part to ensure they are all perfectly the same.

It is looking great and I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like.

Floyd

To answer your questions. The wiring on the Hellfire Launcher with the two thinner wires is perfect. They go into the airframe just like you did it. It is the same on both sides.

Page33-4.jpg

The small hooks as you requested. Same hooks as have been in use forever.

MMbeanies.jpg

I tried to show in the book that the UWPs are actually angled. This will probably be the problem with the Hellfire and MPLH gear. I also think the UWP is not as vertical as it should be either. Not sure about the airframe being high. I had the actual struts measured and nailed the measurements. As for changing back and forth, that happened all the time. The units determined what gear to use. We, as crew, would rather have the regular gear as it was significantly lighter and to us seemed more crashworthy. If you were being deployed by aircraft we would keep the MPLH gear on. I really was hoping to see this baby with MPLH. Oh well.

As for the bent and crooked the white metal easily can be straightened. I tried my best to package them so they wouldn't get bent in shipping. Use a straight edge to get the straightness back. It really is easy if you go slow. I really wanted to have actual tubing in the sets but all the people I talked to about casting it said no way. If I did tubing the cost would be at least twice as much because I would have had to hand make every vertical strut. Lots of work on my part to ensure they are all perfectly the same.

It is looking great and I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like.

Floyd

Floyd -

Thanks for those pictures, they are pretty helpful. Any interest in providing resin stuffed doggies for installation on the glareshield? Sure to be a unique modification. Although I have heard rumors that newer KW's are being equipped with M-63A4 "Bobo the Clowns" .

On another note, is are the weapons pylons painted a different color than helo drab? It almost looks like they are black. I never noticed this before.

John

Floyd -

Thanks for those pictures, they are pretty helpful. Any interest in providing resin stuffed doggies for installation on the glareshield? Sure to be a unique modification. Although I have heard rumors that newer KW's are being equipped with M-63A4 "Bobo the Clowns" .

On another note, is are the weapons pylons painted a different color than helo drab? It almost looks like they are black. I never noticed this before.

John

OK enough with the cow jokes. LOL I think they were a fund raising thing. This cow flew in Iraq, now support a soldier. LOL I forgot to mention photo provided by Mark Martin. Maybe they were a hearts and minds thing.

The weapons pylon is painted helo drab. That one is at the school house and as such has been subjected to many indiscrections. LOL It is just newer than the helicopter that is all. Same color.

Floyd

Thanks everyone... it's still lots of work to get this bird done. As for the connectors, John i used lead wire 0.3 mm for the wiring, and 1 mm for the actual connector. I just glued those two together and added a bit of white glue to get the curvature between them. I don't see how could one make a rubbery type connector as those on the real bird... will have to try on another Kiowa :D

I tried to fit the wiring with the glare shield and the canopy without losing a good tight fit, and now i see there are 2 cables going round that thing... oh well i'll try getting that a bit later along with those helmet hooks B) expect more pics soon

Don't get me wrong, the MPLH set is great. It's accurate and fits the bill well. It was my doing that made the bad fit with the UWP's. Somehow they are bent inwards, and i'm a bit worried about bending them without breaking everything on them... As for the height, it's just different seeing them instead of the regular ones, my opinion that's all. The set is great and a must have. Now that you've got me fired up again, I may try to set them up again.

Are there any advice on cleaning up the white metal better than a sanding stick?

Oh yeah... the cows are a nice touch... you scout pilots REAAAAAAAALYYY look tough don't ya :D

P.S. one other question. I've got 5 IR lights down where they supposed to go (2 on the nose, 2 on the fuselage sides, 1 on the bottom edge) and where does the 6th light go?

Edited by MarioK
Are there any advice on cleaning up the white metal better than a sanding stick?

Oh yeah... the cows are a nice touch... you scout pilots REAAAAAAAALYYY look tough don't ya ;)

P.S. one other question. I've got 5 IR lights down where they supposed to go (2 on the nose, 2 on the fuselage sides, 1 on the bottom edge) and where does the 6th light go?

To maintain a circular crosssection on the gear or anything else for that matter I suggest Master Caster Sanding sticks. Here is the link: http://www.mastercasters.co.uk/5.html These things are great. You literally can't sand a flat spot no matter how hard you try. They are a little large is thier only downside. First use a knife and scrape along the seam with the backside of the knife, Non-cutting edge. Go slowly and then sand. This method also works for plastic mold lines.

We are tough. Grrrrrr. LOL :thumbsup:

The other IR light goes on top of the tailboom aft of the gearbox. Back by all those wires you added to the tail. If you have THE book just look around the tail light. If not let me know and I'll upload a photo.

Floyd

Thanks everyone... it's still lots of work to get this bird done. As for the connectors, John i used lead wire 0.3 mm for the wiring, and 1 mm for the actual connector. I just glued those two together and added a bit of white glue to get the curvature between them. I don't see how could one make a rubbery type connector as those on the real bird... will have to try on another Kiowa :thumbsup:

Looking nice. Thanks for the tip.

What did you use for the bands on the wires around the canopy and launcher?

Edited by Tank

Thanks Floyd, I didn't have THE book with me, but i figured something alike. Thanks for the tip on those sanding sticks, they will come in mighty handy...

Tank, i used AIZU micron tape: it's similar to tamiya masking tape but cut to very thin strips of 0.4 mm and something wide. Great for making such bands

aizu2001-1.jpg

Thanks Floyd, I didn't have THE book with me, but i figured something alike. Thanks for the tip on those sanding sticks, they will come in mighty handy...

Tank, i used AIZU micron tape: it's similar to tamiya masking tape but cut to very thin strips of 0.4 mm and something wide. Great for making such bands

aizu2001-1.jpg

Tanks Mario.

Here's a little something i made today:

Since the kit detectors were lacking all detail I added some form small bits of styrene and streched sprue

P1010001-1.jpg

P1010002-5.jpg

As i understand the small bar thingie goes on the upper and the lower part of the detector and goes on the opposite sides when on the other side of the fuselage

I don't know if i got that right though

Also i added small bits to the Hellfire launcher - again styrene and streched sprue :rofl:

P1010003-2.jpg

And one for fun.... ok and to see if i got the seams correctly :lol:

P1010004-2.jpg

Here's some more progress;

I added the .50 cal on the left side

P1010002-6.jpg

It's still a WIP so i didn't add all the wiring and the details yet. I did add the triangular thingie on top of the UWP (a wire cutter?) and the boresight upfront. It's not the most accurate thing but it will do for now:

P1010003-3.jpg

P1010011-3.jpg

P1010010-1.jpg

I added some plumbing to the Hellfire launcher as well :

P1010008-2.jpg

as well as started to wire the tailboom

P1010014-3.jpg

So much for now,

Cheers, Mario

Thanks, the photos make every mistake i make seem a lot worse than i'd like to think they are :thumbsup: There's a boatload of detailing opportunities on this model, and I didn't touch 5% of it all. Guess i'll need to make another one :woot.gif: