Aftermarket resin cockpits

I am still prety new to the forums here. I have been reading up on how other people customize certain model kits. I have read of some people using aftermarket resin cockpits. 1.What is the purpose? Do they give a more accurate depiction of an actual 1:1 cockpit? 2. Could anyone recomend a manufacturer that makes quality 1:48 scale F/A-18D cockpits, specificaly for the Has. VMFA(AW)-242 model kit.

Thanks.

Resin isn't necessarily more accurate, but the resin manufacturer has the ability to reproduce much finer detail than can be done in plastic by the model manufacturer.

Edited by DonSS3

Resin sets be it cockpits, engine exhuasts, wheel bays and so on are more highly detailed tahn the kit supplied items. They add that extra bit of wow to kits that sometimes lack detail.

Good makers are Aires, BlackBox, Cutting Edge, QuickBoost, True Details, Neomega, Paragon to name a few. For the F/A 18D I think BlackBox do one maybe Aires as well. Google search F/A 18 Resin cockpit and see what comes up.

Just don't expect a resin cockpit (especially if it's Aires) to be a drop-fit replacement for the kit parts. Many require relatively extensive modification to the kit in order to be installed.

J

Neomega cockpits are pretty much a drop-fit. Their instructions sometimes forget to tell you how much of the kit you may need to remove, but that's to replace rubbish bits that the resin set improves on. What you rarely have to do is shave the plastic and/or resin to transparency before it'll fit.

Also they're quite a good price.

Neomega cockpits are pretty much a drop-fit. Their instructions sometimes forget to tell you how much of the kit you may need to remove, but that's to replace rubbish bits that the resin set improves on. What you rarely have to do is shave the plastic and/or resin to transparency before it'll fit.

Also they're quite a good price.

Instructions? In a Neomega pit. HA!

They are very nicely done though.