Cranked Arrows Over Afghanistan: F-16F with OEF loadout.

1/48 Hasegawa kit w/ATTIC F-16XL two seat conversion. More details to follow....

--Will

Great idea Will!

I got a few of the 1/72 Monogram kits for a similar idea, was thinking of trying to make a single or two seat version for Wild Weasel duty (ala F-16 CG/CJ) or maybe even a navalised two seater. I also was thinking of trying to fit some of the conformal tanks to the XL and putting it in Israeli markings.

No cockpit, but if you paint the inside of the canopy aqua blue or black you'd never know the difference. Gear up and in flight and you're good to go. Or, you could always try to scratch build a pit and some gear details.

Already getting there! Flaps are being modified to Fowlers, leading edge slats will be added, canopy positioned open, nose gear and doors modified, air brakes will be added, various other things...

Swiftwork.jpg

Already getting there! Flaps are being modified to Fowlers, leading edge slats will be added, canopy positioned open, nose gear and doors modified, air brakes will be added, various other things...

Swiftwork.jpg

You don't waste any time, do you? :thumbsup:
Great idea Will!

I got a few of the 1/72 Monogram kits for a similar idea, was thinking of trying to make a single or two seat version for Wild Weasel duty (ala F-16 CG/CJ) or maybe even a navalised two seater. I also was thinking of trying to fit some of the conformal tanks to the XL and putting it in Israeli markings.

Thanks Jason :)

I too am thinking of throwing on the conformal tanks so I can avoid using the wing tanks. When using them they actually take away three weapons pylons per side. That's 6xGBU-38's or -12's :P

I am also leaning towards using the avionics spine, but haven't committed to that yet. I will lay out more details when I make the build thread.

BTW - your idea of a Wild Weasel/SEAD XL would be cool!

I'll be doing my F/A-24A STINGRAY single seater that will look something like my drawing below. ALOT has changed since I finished up the drawing, like thrust vectoring and the wings have been flipped over. :)

If I still have time, I'll do a Edwards AFB Test Flight F-22A in the Orange & Cream scheme.

Edited by Midnight Storm
I am in with a Italeri Eurofighter converted to USN standards. I will be using spare parts from a Testors F-18 to Navalize it. I also will be building a Airfix Buccaneer as USN.

This will be cool. any thoughts about increased wing/canard area?

One of these two, both if time allows:

Photo58.jpg

Yes, it's mirror image and the color stinks but that's what Photo Booth allowed tonight........

The theory is that high tech materials such as carbon fiber, high strength aluminum alloys, and certain computerization was available at the time of manufacture or shortly thereafter coupled with an extensive bit of neglect coupled with a serious, organized smuggling effort circa 1924-9. So Rat Rod-meets-Steampunk-meets-Prohibition era bootlegging-meets-high tech.

It's an excuse to get me out of rigging, have a bit of fun, and be entirely spurious but in a somewhat recognizable way. There are some real wood veneers in the supply bin that are significantly less than .005" thick that have weathered heavily that just may get used.

We've got a very large move happening in the next few months which will take priority but hope to simply participate.

Daryl J.

Edited by Daryl J.

The steampunk connection hopefully is limited to onboard computers and a steam powered refueling bowser that carries a fine tank of white ethanol, of course made up in the hills rather than by fully regulated production. Although boiler plate would look great on the cowl and front of the fuselage, it would be toooooo heavy. Hopefully the

Fokker defines light weight with a significant carbon fibre content.....overlaid with some laminated aluminum and heavily weathered linen in appropriate places of course.

Daryl J.

Edited by Daryl J.

Okay, update for my builds. Thanks to Kagetachikoma, I've got a Revell 1/72 MiG-31. I pose to you the question, what if the USA had a few defected MiG-31s, reverse engineered them and put the MiG-31 into production as a Wild Weasel? Maybe loaded up with HARMs for enemy radar stations and AMRAAMs and 'Winders for self defense.

Okay, update for my builds. Thanks to Kagetachikoma, I've got a Revell 1/72 MiG-31. I pose to you the question, what if the USA had a few defected MiG-31s, reverse engineered them and put the MiG-31 into production as a Wild Weasel? Maybe loaded up with HARMs for enemy radar stations and AMRAAMs and 'Winders for self defense.

With the foxhounds huge radar and loadout capacity i think Pheonixes on the udnerside would be better, with four HARMs under the wings and a 'Winder rail on each wing fence.

It doesn't count as far as the GB is concerned, but I'm almost finished with a Star Wars ARC fighter in Luftwaffe colors. I figured that the Germans bought the F-4 and a few other aircraft from other countries, so in a couple hundred years they'd probably buy an ARC from the Empire. :)

I'm planning to fix it up in an airshow setting with a couple of guys outside of the fence as the ARC flies over them.

I'll try to think of something for the actual build later on.

John

With the foxhounds huge radar and loadout capacity i think Pheonixes on the udnerside would be better, with four HARMs under the wings and a 'Winder rail on each wing fence.

That's not a bad idea. I'm thinking 4 Phoenix missiles on the fuselage stations, 2 HARMs on the outboard wing pylons, and drop tanks plus 'Winders and AMRAAMs on the inboard wing pylons (think F-15 pylons). Now I just need to get hold of some weaponry!

That's not a bad idea. I'm thinking 4 Phoenix missiles on the fuselage stations, 2 HARMs on the outboard wing pylons, and drop tanks plus 'Winders and AMRAAMs on the inboard wing pylons (think F-15 pylons). Now I just need to get hold of some weaponry!

That F-15 wing-pylons idea is really good, but too much drag and mach 2.8 drops to mach 2.2 or 2.0, along with fuel economy.

That F-15 wing-pylons idea is really good, but too much drag and mach 2.8 drops to mach 2.2 or 2.0, along with fuel economy.

Yeah, but after the modified-Phoenix and the HARMS are fired, you'd have a lot more speed due to less drag.

What do you need specifically for weapons? I've got quite a bit of various missiles and bombs in the spares box.