• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice 'wifs' there guys. Here's mine;-

1/48 Hasegawa TF-104G in fresh livery RAAF markings of 2 OCU, Williamtown, NSW circa 1963-64. This is what the RAAF could of ended up with had they not chosen the Dassault Mirage IIIO. This is how they may have looked early in the piece until they started corroding and required painting like Moritz's TF-104. I was tempted to do the Luftwaffe 'Norm' scheme but with Mirage colours but the NMF got me in the end. I used Humbrol Metal Cote used for the NMF with Tamiya yellow and black for the tail and other markings. Decals from the kit, Southern Sky 2OCU Mirage sheet and 'Daphne' is from the old Roodecal sheet. Tamiya weathering pack used to darken engine area and panels. I didn't want to go too hard and spoil the NMF look so kept it subtle. I hope you like her.

Regards

Andrew

DSC02895.jpg

DSC02896.jpg

DSC02897.jpg

DSC02898.jpg

DSC02899.jpg

DSC02900.jpg

DSC02901.jpg

Cheers :woot.gif: Phantom and Ray. You know I totally forgot that the canopies open sideways not upwards. I was reminded of this today by another friend. But i like it and 'yes' we Aussies have a strange way of changing things off the shelf to suit.

Regards

Andrew

Hi all

Here is my JASDF TSR.2, done in special display markings. Kit is Airfix 1/48 OOB except for the bang seats, which are from an F-4, with a few lumps and bumps from a Tornado and the bits box. More pictures in the thread in the build section. Please feel free to comment.

P1000437.jpg

Howdy all,

Fantastic builds guys, really imaginative stuff!

Mine's not that 'out there', just a repaint (The idea, i must admit, was stolen 100% from C-130CrewChief's F-15 build, Thanks/sorry Curt !!)

Revell Dassault Rafael, straight from the box. colours were whatever looked right to me and decals came from whatever i had lying around (Was going to use the kit decals, but they were all but useless)

Here is the regulation 1 Pic. I'll post more tonight when i finish work...

DSCF0388.jpg

Denzil

• 2 weeks later...

The US wasn't the only country to learn SEAD lessons from the Vietnam war. In the late-1970s and early-1980s, the RAAF conducted a series of experiments aimed at evaluating various SEAD tactics. Although the F-104--the mainstay fighter of the RAAF since the late-1960s--wasn't particularly well suited to low-level strike missions, the RAAF modified a handful of airframes with weapons and ECM suites as a proof of concept. This series of tests--known as Kangaroo Sun--helped prepare RAAF flight crews for the arrival in the mid-1980s of the RAAF's F-16s, which have since been used in numerous SEAD missions.

This F-104AU(G), affectionately dubbed the "Starweasel" by its aircrews, wears one of the many garish splinter schemes used during the Kangaroo Sun tests. This specific airframe wore this scheme in the spring of 1982, during Kangaroo Sun-3.

Build details: Hasegawa's 1/48 F-104G kit, with a modified cockpit (resin seats from an F-4 and a rear instrument panel with photoetched radar screens). Painted with Tamiya colors, masked with very thin strips of masking tape (from jammydog.com), decals provided by Richard at Gekko Graphics, whose profile inspired the scheme.

More photos in the forum below.

IMG_3894.jpg

The Super Hen, based on Revell's 1/48 F-15E, is done!

Hope you like 'er!

DSC05017.jpg

There'll be more pix in Critique Corner as soon as I find time to upload 'em.

-O

EDIT: If you're interested, more pix are posted in the Critique Corner. You can see 'em here

Edited by oortiz10

Northrop P-44B Spitfire, Pearl Harbor, Dec 7, 1941

What if the US Army had accepted an American built variant of the Spitfire into service in time to have a squadron or two based at Hawaii in time to intercept the Japanese attack?

Image024-5.jpg

Alvis 3.1

Edited by Alvis 3.1

He-112 as a movie Spitfire:

What if Germany won WWII and in the mid 60s was making a movie about the Battle of Britain? They'd need something that looked like a Spitfire...so they turned to Spain and used some old Heinkels that kind of looked like Spitfires. With an mostly authentic paint job, they passed the scrutiny of all except loud 12 year olds in the audiences...

Image002-3.jpg

Alvis 3.1

USAAF P-52 Corsair: What-if the P-51 was never developed, and what-if the Army actually bought a Navy fighter?

Seen here is a P-52C-25-NA Corsair of the 328th FS, 352nd FG, flown by Maj. George Preddy. This is how the aircraft appeared in December 1944.

Image021-1.jpg

Alvis 3.1

Well the Orion MR.1A is finished.

Backstory:

Shortly after the end of the the first Gulf War the Royal Air Force decided it was in need of a maratime patrol aircraft to supplement the aging Nimrod. The Ministry of Defence opened up a competition for a tried and tested ASW aircraft, the contenders were the Breguet Atalntic and the P-3C Orion. The contest was won by the Orion and in 1994 the Royal Air Force purchased 3 ex USN P-3C Orion aircraft. These 3 Aircraft were based at RAF St. Mawgan in Cornwall. Not utilised in there intended role, they were used to patrol the English Channel to disuade the Spanish fishing fleets from entering British waters. In May 2006 the Orion MR.1A as it was known, was deployed to Basra with the duty of patrolling the Tigris and Euphrates rivers. However they stood idle for nearly a year until late March 2007 to search for 15 Royal navy personnel that went missing in the Persian Gulf. The Orions were finally passed on to the German Navy in July of 2007.

P1010044.jpg

P1010050.jpg

P1010045.jpg

P1010046.jpg

P1010047.jpg

I figure its still May 31st somewhere in the world so I might be safe!

Finished this a few weeks ago but every time it occoured to me to post it the damn camera was out of juice again! :woot.gif:

So here it is. Started life as the AFV Club F-16A Blk-20 RoCAF kit, but the resin and decals were tossed in spare parts and my 'old rejects' box full of cut-up plane fuselages came out. I was inspired by one particular model in the galleries (don't know how to link to specific pages, the url is the same for individual entries as the index)

No backstory in particular, except that Rafale Wings would increase payload and maneuverability. (bigger and thicker...Wakko, shut up!) Carrying a centerline GEPOD that came from the kit and Kinetic pods/tanks/pylons/bombs.

I'll get more pics up, these were the only decent ones out of the few I managed to shoot off before aforementioned doomed-to-damnation camera ran out of juice.

000_0550.jpg

000_0553.jpg