Lockheed SR-71/YF-12 Blackbird

I posited this in the builders' thread, but I thought I'd inquire here. Does anyone know any details concerning changes to the SR-71 RSO station? The most common configuration I've seen is this one:

2u6jlw1.jpg

Another is depicted in various kits, which have an elliptical-shaped display in place of the top rectangular one. Any idea if this was a change to the whole fleet, and if so, when was it implemented?

I posited this in the builders' thread, but I thought I'd inquire here. Does anyone know any details concerning changes to the SR-71 RSO station? The most common configuration I've seen is this one:

2u6jlw1.jpg

Another is depicted in various kits, which have an elliptical-shaped display in place of the top rectangular one. Any idea if this was a change to the whole fleet, and if so, when was it implemented?

I believe that is the final configuration before retirement. The kit depicts an earlier era, IIRC.

Jon

Mark,

Great comparison! I'm wondering, though. A-12 60-6925 at the Intrepid has the fairing in front of the windscreen like the SR-71s. Is that a late mod, or was it just stuck on there after it was retired?

Jon

From what I've read, the fairing was fitted to all active Blackbirds; had to do with friction heating IIRC. The one in the picture I posted doesn't have the fairing as it is serial# 60-6924, the first A-12, and was never used operationally.

HTH

:D

I believe that is the final configuration before retirement. The kit depicts an earlier era, IIRC

Indeed, but when was the change made? For that matter, are there any good photos showing the earlier configuration?

Should see the paint scheme on the bird at the museum in Eglin - Gloss Black. When I was there a few years ago it was pealing and needed a new coat.

Mark

Unfortunately, since the "Director" there does not want to comply with federal environmental standards, he gets his paint from the local hardware stores (house paint)! ;)

The "new" paint schemes really suck!

Larry

Unfortunately, since the "Director" there does not want to comply with federal environmental standards, he gets his paint from the local hardware stores (house paint)! ;)

The "new" paint schemes really suck!

Larry

Really, house paints?

There is a museum here in Illinois that paints theirs with water tower paints specially mixed to match the colors needed. It seems to hold up rather well. Wonder what they will do when they need to repaint their TPS based Tomcat?

Mark

• 4 weeks later...