IDF/AF Group build Widgeon

A float plane in the IDF/AF? Actually, yes. Two Grumman Widgeons were given to the fledgling IAF in 1948. They were used as transports for a short time.

So why something like this? Well, I thought it would be different and unique. Besides, how often do you see flying boat in desert camo.

So, here is what I'm starting with. An old Airfix 1/72 Widgeon kit. I played with this a little previously, so the wing has been glued together. But it will require some scratchbuilding for the interior, which fortunately won't be very visible, so I can keep it simple.

100_3121.jpg

Let the fun begin.

Ed

Edited by ed_s

Here is the fuselage with a quick coat of gray for the interior. You can see the putty on the engines. It looks like it will need a bit to fair the engine into the wing.

100_3131.jpg

Here it is with the fuselage glued together, puttied and sanded along with the wing. You can see that I put in some interior, but then I realized that once the wing is in place, you can't see anything inside anyway.

100_3143.jpg

Ed

Finally got a chance to get something done on this. Here it is fully assembled and ready for painting. Just have to mask the clear parts and it gets a coat of primer. Hopefully in the next day or two. The wing floats took a little work. The struts in the kit didn't fit the holes in the wing or float very well. So I filled the holes with styrene rod. Cut the struts flush. Then drilled out the wing, the floats and the struts with a #75 drill and put in some short pieces of wire to hold it together.

100_3156.jpg

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

RKic, sorry, I didn't take any photos of how I did the struts.

Here is the model at the current stage of work. The underside has been painted gray and has been masked off. The upper side has the first color of dark tan. It will soon be masked for the green.

100_3166.jpg

Ed

Here are some progress pics.

This is with the brown masked and green applied.

100_3171.jpg

And here it is unmasked. It needs to sit for a day and then I can get on a gloss coat and start decaling it.

100_3173.jpg

Ed

Here it is with decals applied. It has also had a light coat of a lighter shade of green and brown sprayed unevenly on the upper surfaces to look like fading. Next step is weathering.

100_3181.jpg

Ed

• 2 weeks later...