When I enlisted, there was an E-10. Each branch of the service had one. They were that particulars service branch leading enlisted man and were stationed at the Pentagon. The Navy's E-10 seemed to mostly corpsman during my time.

Sorry, Paul, but that's bad scuttlebutt. There is not, and has never been, an enlisted rank of "E-10". The Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, Sergeant Major of the Army (as well as Command Sergeant Majors), Command Master Chief Petty Officer, Fleet/Force Master Chief Petty Officer, Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy and Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force are all E-9s. They rate extra pay, true, but that is special duty pay no different in principle from, say, flight pay or jump pay. Their base pay is the same as any other E-9 with that time in service. None of the positions above are ranks one is promoted to. A First Sergeant is promoted to Sergeant Major. A Sergeant Major is <i>appointed</i> Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps. All the other branches are the same. Now it never hurts to <i>think</i> of the top enlisted man as being "E-10", especially in his presence, but he isn't such in fact.

Lt Cdr, (04), USN-R TAR(Ret), HCS-5, Plank owner when the Firehawks first stood up in 1988. Replaced HAL-5, when the primary mission was changed to Combat Search Air Rescue, (CSAR)NAS Pt Mugu California. When the first HH-60H arrived from Sikorsky, of course it broke. For a CDU, (Central Display Unit) which we had the only 3 that existed at the time. So we were down for about a month before TRW fixed it. By the way the Seahawk was brand new and yes it had the new car smell.

Before becoming a rotor head, I started in the F/A-18 community, VFA-303 Goldenhawks, NAS Lemoore and VFA-305 Lobos

out of Pt Mugu, all reserve units before my final tour with HCS-5. A great time good people, excellent shipmates. Imagine flying in a helicopter and I was getting paid for it????

Chuck

Fly Navy

Edited by uscusn

Well , that expalins why everyone was jumping so fast to attention. :thumbsup: Command sergeant major. Thats like our Regimental sergeant major of the entire Canadian forces. I was far to young to be even a regular CSM yet alone to be addressed as god. Thats a good 3 ranks above what they should have listed me as.

That must have been a joke - there is no E-10 in the US. The enlisted rank structure tops out at E-9, which is Sergeant Major (or Master Gunnery Sergeant) in the only branch of the US services that mattered. :popcorn:

I think he meant GS-10...I wanted to be a Marine too, but I couldn't pass the physical at MEPS. My head wouldn't fit in the jar.

I work for the Navy as a civilian ABF. Does that count? :woot.gif:

I would love your job! You bet that counts. How'd you get the job? Were you prior service? When I retire, (which is still a long way off) I would love to do that.

When I was on active duty and the reserves we had civilian's who worked the transient line at Miramar and Glenview. Every so often I get back to Miramar and I've been to Oceana several times and they have the same guys. That would be the cats ***! Are you a GS rate?

Naval Flight Officer 1320 now a 1325

S-3B's (VS-21, VX-1)

B-1B's for a bit

P-3C's in the Reserves (VP-64, VP-92)

Some other non-Navy work in an unmentionable capacity in the GWOT for the last 2.5 years.

Currently sitting in my soul-stealing cubical at NAVAIR/NAS Patuxent River as a civilian GS (sorry, NSPS or whatever we are called now).

Still in the Reserves at Second Fleet JFACC looking like I am going to get a promotion....guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

Haven't totaled up my logbook in a bit.... guess over 3K hours...about 1,500 of that is green ink.

Working on a 1/48 F-8J Crusader in USS Hancock Vietnam markings. If you don't own a Hasa F-8 kit yet...go buy one, they are terrific.

r/

Atis

I wanted to be a Marine too, but I couldn't pass the physical at MEPS. My head wouldn't fit in the jar.

Yeah, yeah - you know, I thought about joining the Navy too - but something about bell bottoms with your name on your *** told me Navy fashion wasn't for me. :thumbsup:

No, seriously, actually it was that the Navy recruiter would not let me sign up unless I enlisted as a nuke tech. AND he wanted me to request sub duty. No way I'm playing with stuff that glows in the dark in a tube 100 feet under water. Ain't happening.

No, seriously, actually it was that the Navy recruiter would not let me sign up unless I enlisted as a nuke tech. AND he wanted me to request sub duty. No way I'm playing with stuff that glows in the dark in a tube 100 feet under water. Ain't happening.

It ain't no thang...

Edited by parche

Nuke EM2 transferred to OCS then as Nuclear Weapons Officer SSBN's. SSBN-634. Went to shore duty, RIF in '83 as O-3. Stayed in reserves. retired '90. Still an O-3, to many bodies and not enough slots. No hard feeling to the NAVY for RIF, was actually a blessing due to parents health and having to been around to help them.

Son is now in the NAVY, AC1. Proud of him. :thumbsup:

Wayne

How'd you get the job? Were you prior service?

When I was on active duty and the reserves we had civilian's who worked the transient line at Miramar and Glenview.

Are you a GS rate?

Nope, I just happened to be the right guy in the right position at the right time. The Navy went so far as to advertise locally in the newspaper, something that is almost unheard of.

We run ALL fueling here at Lemoore, as well as LOX and Fuel Farm, and Airfield Fuels QA. We also run the Transient line and the Air Terminal. We are all civilians, but trained through the Navy to do all the jobs, so we are a combination of ABF/ABH, with plane captain duties as well, for working the T line. About the only planes we do not PC for are the C-130's.

Alas, I am not a GS, but rather a WG.

Tell ya what though, while I have made better money elsewhere, I totally love my job! :thumbsup:

LCDR, Pilot type, 1992-2006. Operationally flew the SH-60B and the E-2C. Currently working as a contractor in the E-2 Program Office and working my way back into the Reserves flying the E-2 again.

Spongebob

Long drive to Atlanta. They are still down there right?

Atis

LCDR, Pilot type, 1992-2006. Operationally flew the SH-60B and the E-2C. Currently working as a contractor in the E-2 Program Office and working my way back into the Reserves flying the E-2 again.

Spongebob

On that topic, I still think the "Fighting Escargots" might be the best squadron name EVER.

On that topic, I still think the "Fighting Escargots" might be the best squadron name EVER.
That is cleaver, but I'll take the "Pukin' Dogs". Use to stand on the flight line and look at their aircraft and think, "This had to thought up one night in Olongapo" Edited by Huey Gunner
That is cleaver, but I'll take the "Pukin' Dogs". Use to stand on the flight line and look at their aircraft and think, "This had to thought up one night in Olongapo"

Actually, it was coined by one of the pilot's wives back in 58 when she saw the tail insignia and remarked that it looked like a "Pukin' Dog" instead of a Griffin. :woot.gif:

Reddog :bandhead2:

Actually, it was coined by one of the pilot's wives back in 58 when she saw the tail insignia and remarked that it looked like a "Pukin' Dog" instead of a Griffin. ;)

Reddog :thumbsup:

Been a few years since I read the article in Hook, but it might just have been a wife from another squadron which makes it even funnier.

Of course, this from someone who wasn't even liked by the wives in his OWN squadron...

That is cleaver, but I'll take the "Pukin' Dogs". Use to stand on the flight line and look at their aircraft and think, "This had to thought up one night in Olongapo"

Mmmm....Olongapo! The land of LBFM's, San Miguel, the peso show and Monkey meat! I feel bad for our Sailors and Marines that have never experienced the bus ride from Cubi to the main gate and all the wonders of the PI...I certainly am glad that I made it their before Pinatubo blew up.

On a side note, it's great to see so many Airdales in here; aaand the black shoes are welcome too.

• 1 month later...
I was a Surface Warfare Officer and retired as a LCDR in '97. Spent most of my life as an operations officer in one form or another. My last sea tour was XO on the USS Kirk (FF-1087) then decommissioned her as part of the peace dividend. Over my career I did tours on;

USS Nashville (LPD-13)

USS JA Furer (FFG-6) The steel steam kind; not the high whinnin' aluminum kind.

USS WM Pratt (DDG-44)

USS Long Beach (CGN-9)

USS Kirk (FF-1087)

I did staff tours at:

NAV Base Charleston SC

AF South Naples IT

COMPHIBGRU TWO

More than you wanted to know.

you wouldn't have happened to have been the Chief engineer on-board the 'ville would you? 2003?