Vietnamese Flankers

I was in Denang two summers ago and that is one of their large air bases too. They had all of these fighter revetments but they were covered by concrete bunkers and all of the doors were shut. I wondered if they had any Flankers! I would have killed to see any kind of MiG or Sukoi. I did see two Hormone's flying around as the sun was setting, but that was all. I think that these pics are really cool!

There are some good shots of the complex structure in the 2-seater's canopy. Those of you trying to model it for the trumpy flanker may find them useful.

Cheers,

Terry

The structure inside the canopy is the rail for the blind flying hood that covers the front cockpit - so that the trainee pilot has to use his instruments.

The first few shots are of a Su-27UB two-seat trainer (same as Trumpeter's kit) with side number 8523 - check the single nosewheel.

The other shots (8532 & 43 etc) are Su-30MK2Vs - note the larger fin & twin nosewheels.

They are similar to the Chinese Navy's Su-30MK2s

Can't understand Russina but sounds good!!!

Sounds like they are singing in Vietnamese to me - definitely not Russian - (or even Russina :lol: )

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
The structure inside the canopy is the rail for the blind flying hood that covers the front cockpit - so that the trainee pilot has to use his instruments.

Ken,

Can the blind hood be removed? If so then it'll save me the troubles of scratch building that thing.

Thank you.

Terry

Ken,

Can the blind hood be removed? If so then it'll save me the troubles of scratch building that thing.

Thank you.

Terry

Yes - its a removable frame on which they hang the curtain.

It's only fitted when they are doing blind-flying training - so in most pics of Su-27UBs it isn't there.

I guess you could fit it, then fit a curtain over the front seat - save having to detail the front cockpit ! :thumbsup:

Ken