Damian's Profiles: 5 Korean war P-51Hs for your enjoyment!&#33

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All!

Taking a short break from Sci-Fi as I get Talos' VA and VE-3s ready for they paintshop ;) So to fill the gap I have some F4Ds for you. The IDF idea came from Martin aka Hatchet who has recently gotten a Ford to build. I basically started with the P-51s camo and then went with the various schemes as worn by the Kfir.

1. 140 Sqn in the P-51's clothes.

F4DIDF140Sqn1.png

2. 113 Sqn in early Kfir colours, the ID triangles were fun. Looks good I think.

F4DIDF113Sqn.png

3. X Sqn, the Guards of Arava, here Kfir greys abound :)

F4DIDFGuardsofArava.png

4. X Sqn, the Smashing Parrots, this is the last scheme worn by the Kfir.

F4DIDFSmashingParrotSqn.png

There ya go! I hope you enjoy them!!

D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All!!!

I've been busy with Talos' VA-3 Invader profiles, man what alot of fun ESPECIALLY deleting my work the first time...duh...

1. First up is VA-115. Still stationed on Earth as home guard unit after Space War I.

A. A retro colour scheme as worn by the units A-6s in the latter half of the 20th

VA-3VA-115.png

B. The all purpose low-viz as worn by the line craft.

VA-3VA-1152.png

2. SVA-32 is stationed aboard the Saratoga II a Guantanamo class stealth carrier which took over from the ARMD class carriers. Saratoga II is stationed at Mars to protect the Helderman research complex/colony.

A. They too painted but the lead bird in a retro scheme initially.

VA-3VA-32.png

B. And again the all purpose low-viz scheme...

VA-3VA-322.png

3. Can't not do some Marine birds now can I?? Both are variation worn by VMA(AW)-224.

A.

VA-3VMAAW-224.png

B.

VA-3VMAAW-224.png

4. Finaly I end with SVA-34 the Blue Blasters. They are stationed on the Independence which patrols out of the New Avalon system.

A. The CAG bird. The tail art is a nod at the units first tail motif durning WW II. It was a pain to make but worth it in the end!!!

VA-3VA-34CAG.png

B. A line bird...

VA-3VA-34.png

There you go I hope you enjoy these new addidtions! Any requests, hints or hatemail most welcome!!!

D

Hi All!!!

I've been busy with Talos' VA-3 Invader profiles, man what alot of fun ESPECIALLY deleting my work the first time...duh...

1. First up is VA-115. Still stationed on Earth as home guard unit after Space War I.

A. A retro colour scheme as worn by the units A-6s in the latter half of the 20th

VA-3VA-115.png

B. The all purpose low-viz as worn by the line craft.

VA-3VA-1152.png

2. SVA-35 is stationed aboard the Saratoga II a Guantanamo class stealth carrier which took over from the ARMD class carriers. Saratoga II is stationed at Mars to protect the Helderman research complex/colony.

A. They too painted but the lead bird in a retro scheme initially.

VA-3VA-35.png

B. And again the all purpose low-viz scheme...

VA-3VA-352.png

3. Can't not do some Marine birds now can I?? Both are variation worn by VMA(AW)-224.

A.

VA-3VMAAW-224.png

B.

VA-3VMAAW-224.png

4. Finaly I end with SVA-34 the Blue Blasters. They are stationed on the Independence which patrols out of the New Avalon system.

A. The CAG bird. The tail art is a nod at the units first tail motif durning WW II. It was a pain to make but worth it in the end!!!

VA-3VA-34CAG.png

B. A line bird...

VA-3VA-34.png

There you go I hope you enjoy these new addidtions! Any requests, hints or hatemail most welcome!!!

D

*EDIT: Screwed up the Panthers should be SVA-35 to 32 :D *

Edited by Damian

Hi All!!

Tonight just for John I have some more VFC-111 goodness. These are the other schemes worn in our world by the units F-5s. I hope you like them!!

VFC-111vf0ahardpoints2.png

VFC-111vf0ahardpoints3.png

VFC-111vf0ahardpoints4.png

Lemme know what you think!

D

Now gentle readers we go back to the Independence in the New Avalon system.

Stationed aboard is SVAQ-136 "The Gauntlets" who fly VE-3 Howlers which are tasked with ECM and ECCM support missions for the carrier and her variable fighters. Note must be made that the SVAQ VE-3s of most U.N. Spacy carrier wings do not mount the modualr radome of the VE-3 as this is usually used for long range sensing, a task which is left to the SVAW radar picket squadrons.

1. The CAG machine of SVAQ-136 has worn some interesting schemes. Two of which are illistrated below.

A.

Here is the tail is seen in a resplendid rising sun, paying homage to the units stationing in Japan in the late 20th to early 21st century.

VE-3EWVAQ-136CAG1.png

B.

The second example of the CAG's tail art is a full colour rendition of the unit's insignia over the whole of the tail.

VE-3EWVAQ-136CAG2.png

2. The line machines are usually for circumspect in their marking although an occasional full colour tail piece is seen in the rank and file.

VE-3EWVAQ-1361.png

3. However the majority of the unit's markings are of the more conventional low visibility variety.

VE-3EWVAQ-1362.png

There ya go! I hope you enjoy them :jaw-dropping:

D

Edited by Damian
  • 2 months later...

Hi All!!

Been a while since I've updated but here's what I've been working on as of late: A fictional SA Navy carrier force!

As the WW II progressed South Africa found a need to beef up her naval air power. The two Ranger class carriers purschased in the late 30's were not enough to meet the Union's comitment in the Atlantic nor the Pacific. To overcome this shortfall of power the Union entred into an agreement with the United States for the purchace of six of the newly launched Essex class carriers. Two where to based in Simonstown for duty in the Atlantic, two in Port Elizabeth for use in the Indian Ocean/Arabian Gulf (and by extension the Med) and two in Durban for deployment to the far east.

The six ships where named for cities in the Union (note HMS during the war, SANS post WWII):

CV-1 SANS Kaapstad

CV-2 SANS Port Elizabeth

CV-3 SANS East London

CV-4 SANS Durban

CV-5 SANS Pretoria

CV-6 SANS Johannesburg

After the war they were updated in line with their sister ships in the USN. The price of this continued support was the leasing of naval facilities around the country for use by the United Sates. With the Korean War starting to hot up the country's carriers found themselves getting ready for combat once again.

Flying from their decks would be the last of the great piston types. The Corsair, the navy took delivery of 12 squadrons of aircraft in the beefed up version of the Corsair for the fighter/attack role. A version of this type would later be purchased by the USMC and France. In SANavy service it was known as the F4U-6.

SANS Pretoria was the first of the SA's Essexes to serve in the Korean theater, 19 Squadron was one of the two Corsair Squadrons on board during the tour.

SANavyF4U-7.png

The other being 17 Squadron.

SANavy28SqnF4U-7.png

There you go :D Comments and crits most welcomed!

With SANS East London's tour the Navy fielded a new variant of the F4U-6, the night fighter F4U-6N. The exhausts and cannon had flame suppressors to hide the aircraft's presence in the night skys of Korea. In line with this a new paint scheme was ordered. Gone was the white under surfaces and in the insginia.

A 14 Squadron machine:

SANavy14SqnF4U-7N.png

And from the same cruise a 18 Squadron machine:

SANavy20SqnF4U-7N.png

Please note that the carriage of night fighting Corsairs meant that either the vanilla model was left at home or one squadron flew the standard Corsair but the ship then did not carry a Bearcat squadron.

Next the attack wings!

Hi All!!

What aircraft would be suitable attack aircraft for the South African Navy? Why the Able Dog of course!!

Tonight I present to you the Attack wing of the Kaapstad ;)

20 Sqn

SAN20sqnAD-2.png

21 Sqn

SAN21sqnAD-2.png

And

22 Sqn

SAN22sqnAD-2.png

The fighter sqadrons are just about to be equiped with jets so stay tuned :D

D

For tonight we're joining the fighter squadrons on board the SANS Port Elizabeth, South Africa's first carrier to launch jets into combat.

1. 1 Squadron "Prima Pugnatis"

SAN1sqnPanther.png

2. 3 Squadron "The fighting ######" aka "Yellow dicks" to others...

SAN3sqnPanther.png

3. 7 Squadron "The Dogs of War"

SAN7sqnPanther.png

I hope you're not too disapointed Greg :D

D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All!!

Sideshowbob aka Matt asked about a SB2C Helldiver in my SAN day scheme. Here she is in 20 sqn markings:

SANavy20SqnSB2C-5.png

And the same aircraft in the little used "Atlantic" scheme:

SANavy20SqnSB2C-52.png

Comments and crits always welcomed!!

D

Hi All!!

Only one for tonight/this morning :)

I've been working on this profile blank this week as this airframe is one of my favorite varieties of my favorite prop plane. I give you the AD-5 aka A-1E in later life!!!!

This is Yellow Rose flying off of the Port Elizabeth, she forms part of the 24th Attack Squadron:

SAN24sqnAD-5.png

Hope you like her!

D

Hi All!!

Tonight we'll be looking at the roles the S-2 family played in the South African Navy. For an overview of the S-2 and related airframes one can see here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-2_Tracker

1. First up is the ASW S-2E Tracker from 48 Sqn. This machine is the Sqn leader's bird which is reflected in the banding on the engine nacelles.

S-2E48SqnSqnleadSANavy.png

2. Next is E-1 Tracer from 41 Sqn.

E-1Tracer41SQnSANavy.png

3. Here we have a C-1 Trader COD plane.

C-1ATraderSANavy.png

4. Finaly we have have a TS-2A crew training plane. Note this is a C-1 conversion and is used for flight crew training. ASW crew members are trained on converted S-2A airframes which are designated TS-2B.

C-1ATrainertrainingsqn4SANavy.png

Hope you enjoy them :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All!!

Well, someone asked what those Tracer I did earlier were controlling. Well here they are F-8s!!! :thumbsup:

As the 60's started the South African Navy adopted a rationalised system in its squadron designation. Fighter squadrons became FS-XX, attack squadrons AS-XX etc etc. Individual aircraft in the squadron were allocated a 3 digit tail code which had the last two numbers repeated on the nose. Squadron lead aircraft where designated X00 each aircraft following there after.

The colour scheme which had been upto now a unified RLM 62 grey was split into an Atlantic scheme of RLM 75 and and Indian scheme of medium sea grey.

1. FS-11 "Thunderbolts" off of the SANS Johannesburg, is an example of the Atlantic scheme:

F-8ESANAtlantic11sqn.png

2. FS-16 "The Vikings" is another Atlanitc schemed F-8E:

F-8ESANAtlantic16sqn.png

3. FS-7 formerly "The Dogs of War" now "The Wolves" shows off the Indian scheme. This aircraft being the squadron leader's machine is more embelished than a line machine:

F-8ESANIndian7sqn.png

4. FS-4 "The Dark Sheep". Another Indian scheme machine. The fighter squadrons stationed off of the SANS Durban decided to adopt the names and shield colours of Zulu warrior clans from the Kwazulu-Natal region. Hence the name and the tail colouration. Included is the shield on which it is based:

F-8ESANIndian4sqn.png

There we go! Crits and comments always welcomed!!!

D

Hi again!

Just a quick follow up before I begin the process of getting the next series of profiles ready :)

When the US cast around for allies in its growing war in a little south east asian country South Africa agreed to lend a hand with both financial and military aid. Dispatched to the region were two carriers and the pathfinder units of the SAMC.

1. FS-6: "Clouds of the Sky". As with the other fighter units aboard SANS Durban FS-6 sports zulu colours. On a side note Cpt. J. Weideman who scored a kill in Korea went on to score 4 more kills (two in one engagment) in the skys of Vietnam making him one of only a few naval aces to come out of that war:

F-8ESANIndian6sqnvietnam.png

2. FS-14: "The Reapers". Full colour tails were the order of the day. This machine displays two kills:

F-8ESANIndian14sqnvietnam.png

There ya go :)

OK I lied :thumbsup:

Some more F-8 love coming your way now!

1. FS-15: "The Crusaders". They kept their name the same when they transfered over to their new mounts.

F-8ESANIndian15sqnvietnam.png

2. FS-4: "Dark Sheep". This is their CAG machine. The colours and patterns are based off of traditional zulu beadwork. Was quite fun and challenging getting ti to look zulu, but then I'm a whiteie so thie is probably completly wrong :)

F-8ESANIndian4sanCAGvietnam.png

Martin points out it looks like the SA flag didn't notice it till after he mentioned it, I'm some sort of genius!!!

D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All!!

I'm warming up my A-4 profiles to plunge on with my SA Navy theme after my SAR-a-thon. But I thought I'd warm up with a non SAN bird. Something Danish :thumbsup: This is for Martin. Its an A-4F from ESK 730...

A-4FRDAF.png

Enjoy!

D

Hi All!!

Well the SAN A-4s will have to wait till another night :monkeydance: I've been busy on RDAF, RAF and FAA A-4's. I hope you enjoy the following profiles!

I'll start with the RDAF experimental schemes, this one was dreamed up by Martin aka Hathcet, basically one removes the light green from the Euro-1 scheme and replaces it with a brown:

1. Excammo 1:

A-4FRDAF2.png

2. Excammo 2: Gone with a darker brown on this one :

A-4FRDAF3.png

3. SEA styled camo. Why? Because it looks good on anything:

A-4FRDAF4.png

You'll also notice I've changed the font and decreased the size of the unit emblem. Thanks to Martin for all of the above!!

Now we move on to the RAF's A-4s.

Up for display we have a machine from 51 Sqn showing off three of the schemes worn by the type in RAF service.

1. First up is the original 3 tone scheme:

A-4ERAF51SQN1.png

2. Next is the 2 tone wrap around:

A-4ERAF51SQN2.png

3. And the above scheme "winterised" :

A-4ERAF51SQN2winter.png

To complete this eveing's (well morning here) posts I give you the FAA A-4s :cheers:

1. 899 Sqn with a hi demarcation:

A-4EFAA899SQN2.png

2. 899 Sqn with a low demarcation:

A-4EFAA899SQN1.png

3. 899 Sqn prepped for the Falklands campaign. All hi-viz markings were over painted and black ID numbers applied:

A-4EFAA899SQN3falklands.png

4. 899 Sqn post Falklands. Here the machine boasts a EDSG canopy on a MSG overall scheme:

A-4EFAA899SQN4.png

5. 899 Sqn. In the 90's a wrap around disruptive pattern with DSG and MSG and lower viz markings:

A-4EFAA899SQN5.png

BONUS:

These two 800 Sqn machines were done so I could see the difference in the roundles to the 899 machine and to try out my self drawn 800 fin art :)

A-4EFAA800SQN2.png

A-4EFAA800SQN1.png

Well there you go I hope you've enjoyed that :) And and all comments and crits welcomed!!

D

• 3 months later...

Hi All!!

Well time to get back to what-ifs!! This mornings offerings are some Korean war P (or F is you prefer)-51Hs.

1. 12th FBS USAF

P-51H-5-NA12FBS18FBG51.png

2. 39th FBS USAF

P-51H-5-NA39thFBS51.png

3. Korean Air Force

P-51H-5-NAROKAF.png

4. 77 Sqn RAAF

P-51H-5-NARAAFKorea.png

5. 2 Sqn SAAF

P-51H-5-NA2SqnSAAFKorea.png

There we go! I hope you enjoy them!!!

D