Having almost lived The ARC phrase "He looses it..He snaps!" with my Ra`am build this evening, I decided that a change of pace was needed to bring my pulse rate down to 130 beats per minute. So I`m going to do a kit I`ve wanted to build for some time, the ex-Heller, now Airfix De Havilland Dragon Rapide. It was the first Israeli aircraft to carry bomb racks (local additions) but was also light transport and casualty evacuation aircraft.

I think doing the IDF/AF`s first bomber is a nice tie-in with their current Ra`am I`m building in the same scale. However, the Rapide is defineatly going to be OOB :D

I still don`t know whether to finish the Rapide in green/brown camo, or all-over silver dope.

a-1.jpg

What are those spinning things at the front, and where do the `burner cans go?

Cheers, Ian :cheers:

Nice choice Ian.

That Ra'am will still be there when you want it.

Go with Silver for the Rapide

Best Regards

Bosse from Sweden

Thanks again Bosse. :cheers:

And you may be right about the silver, it would stand out amongst my gray and camo jets.

Cheers, Ian :D

Nice choice, but I doubt it'll bring down your heart rate. :popcorn:

I TRIED to build this kit once...

*The moderator of this GB is not responsible for ruptured arteries or burst ventricles, or damaged relationships

Edited by RKic
Nice choice, but I doubt it'll bring down your heart rate. :popcorn:

*The moderator of this GB is not responsible for ruptured arteries or burst ventricles, or damaged relationships

:cheers:

HA!, I tried a dry fit of the fuselage halves and I see what you mean.

Well, onwards and upwards I guess :wave:

b.jpg

Cheers all

Ian

Ian;

Do you already have the decal sheet for this?

Yes, thanks, :thumbsup: I have the Microscale decals of the F-15, A-4, F-4 Spit, and Rapide, that has been kicking about for years, now I`m finally gonna use them, Woohoo!

Cheers, Ian

Ian, you got past one of the major hurdles. I also recall the wing struts not matching up all too well. You may consider replacing them with rod or strip styrene. I remember major issues getting the wings to fit their struts. Ultimately it worked, but when I went to rig them, the whole contraption collapsed !!!

ARRGH!

Ian,

Not sure how far along you are, but I realized that I had some pics of the IAF Rapide. Scans from Air War on the Edge by Bill Norton. Figured I'd share in case you hadn't seen them.

image0.jpg

image0-1.jpg

Amazing book. I don't think I've ever read a book that I could truly call encyclopedic (except the encyclopedia) till I got it. Hope the scans and posting them here count as fair use....

Thank you for that Nick :thumbsup:

I have got that book and you are absolutely correct about it`s quality, fantastic.

Much appreciated that you took the time to help though Nick :)

I think I`m going for all over silver-dope.

And thanks for RKic`s advice, I`ll look more into this after your warnings.

Thanks both :D

Ian

• 5 weeks later...
by god! He's done it! You got the struts to fit! How!?

Nightmare, my friend, absolute nightmare it was!

I ended up fixing the wings first, then positioning the struts, contrary to instructions. Even then, some were too long, and some were too short, yet swapping them was no good because then they would be just too short or just too long!

Extreme bah!! ;) The pic defineatly makes things look better than they actually are.

I may or may not bother with rigging (something I left out of the whole wing/strut construction drama).

Other than that, it`s been great :deadhorse1:

Cheers, Ian ;)

Hey Ian,

That is turning out real nice.

I've never built a bi-plane. Might have to do that some day.

But that double wing kind of scares me a bit.

Good Work Mate.

Bosse from Sweden