Crusader Question

Ok,

here it goes. What was the rule of thumb about the wings on a Crusader? I one thought that if they were on the ground, the wing was up. I think that the canopy could only open when the wing was up...

Can someone set me straight here? I have a Monogram kit (Thank you Tank!) and I don't want to raise the wing if I have to. (Lots of scratch building and kit bashing there...)

I just want a simple, non-Hasegawa Crusader.

Will

Ok,

here it goes. What was the rule of thumb about the wings on a Crusader? I one thought that if they were on the ground, the wing was up. I think that the canopy could only open when the wing was up...

Can someone set me straight here? I have a Monogram kit (Thank you Tank!) and I don't want to raise the wing if I have to. (Lots of scratch building and kit bashing there...)

I just want a simple, non-Hasegawa Crusader.

Will

Will,

Canopy and wing were not interconnected. The normal ground configuration was wing down, but you can see the aircraft in a variety of configurations.

Will,

Check here for explanations on the wing.

Regards,

Murph

The Monogram version and Cobra Co. set are third in line at this time in the build pile. I am building as a "C" model. Does this info with regard to flaps, slats and wingfolds apply to the "C" models as it does to the "J".

thanks,

joe.

I am building as a "C" model. Does this info with regard to flaps, slats and wingfolds apply to the "C" models as it does to the "J".

The wing operation was the same.

Speaking of Crusaders, whatever happened to Tom "Superheat" Weinel (spelling?)? Haven't seen him around the ARC forums for a while. His wealth of information about the 'Sader is invaluable :)

He's disappeared from Hyperscale too; hopefully, nothing is wrong.

Regards,

Murph

Just an FYI:

the burner can & nozzle from the Hasegawa kit (of which I have a fubar one) fits the Monogram kit nicely.

How is the old KMC/True Details cockpit? I saw that Sprue Bros has one in stock.

If you can get an original KMC then they are good, I have seen some of the re-pops and the molds are not holding up.

With reference to the wing, when the wing is up the flaps and slats are down as they are interconected. The outer wings can fold when the wing is up or down.

I have pictures of crusaders on the ground with the wing up or down. I even have one of a crusader in flight with the outer wings folded!

Julien

Speaking of Crusaders, whatever happened to Tom "Superheat" Weinel (spelling?)? Haven't seen him around the ARC forums for a while. His wealth of information about the 'Sader is invaluable :yahoo:

Good question, last time I emailed him I think he was moving as he mentioned packing things up. I now cant find his email address :D

I checked his profile and his last log on was: Last Seen: 9th September 2008 - 03:43 PM

I hope he is ok.

Julien

The only other Echo cockpit I can find for the Crusader is the Aires set for the Hasegawa kit (yet again I LAMENT the loss the Cutting Edge...:)).

I know it was made for the Hasegawa kit, but I feel like it could be made to fit the Monogram kit easier than the Aires set could be.

Edited by Spaced Marine

I'm amazed at the magnitude of stress that attachment must have been able to withstand. You can understand the aerodynamic theory all day - but still when you look at it, you think; "Dang, how in the world does that darn thing stay on..." I always thought it had a great look to it.

Hitch

The only other Echo cockpit I can find for the Crusader is the Aires set for the Hasegawa kit (yet again I LAMENT the loss the Cutting Edge...:thumbsup:).

I know it was made for the Hasegawa kit, but I feel like it could be made to fit the Monogram kit easier than the Aires set could be.

There is a black box one floating about out there. I might have a spare, will have alook.

Julien

He's disappeared from Hyperscale too; hopefully, nothing is wrong.

Regards,

Murph

Good question, last time I emailed him I think he was moving as he mentioned packing things up. I now cant find his email address :)

I checked his profile and his last log on was: Last Seen: 9th September 2008 - 03:43 PM

I hope he is ok.

Julien

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I hope he's ok too.

There is a black box one floating about out there. I might have a spare, will have alook.

Julien

Julien,

that would be fantastic if you have one.

I'm amazed at the magnitude of stress that attachment must have been able to withstand. You can understand the aerodynamic theory all day - but still when you look at it, you think; "Dang, how in the world does that darn thing stay on..." I always thought it had a great look to it.

Hitch

You're exactly right. Vought had to have built this plane as solid as a rock to handle the stress of being catted off the carrier with the wing all jacked up!

You're exactly right. Vought had to have built this plane as solid as a rock to handle the stress of being catted off the carrier with the wing all jacked up!

The center of lift of the Crusader's swept wing was behind the hinge point, so the actuator (there was only one) was holding the wing up, not trying to keep it from coming off. When the pilot was pulling gs, the wing was actually pressing itself down all the harder. In the few examples of the wing coming off, it was the hinge points that failed in extreme overload, not the actuator.

Very good points about the g-loading of the wing.

It would be terrible if the wing-off light came on in flight.

All the while, the Crusader to me is a marvel of engineering. Too bad the Navy didn't want more gunfighters at the time. I would have loved to have seen this plane upgraded over time and flying into the 80s & 90s.