Okay, once and for all... Is Eduard's Mirage IIIC too tall, or wha

Jennings, I am not sure that the length of the gear legs is the problem with the Eduard IIIC. I am pretty sure the problem is that the oleos are extended too far on the legs.

If you look at a picture of an actual Mirage IIIC you will see that the edge of the main gear door is about tangential with the rim of the main wheel. Also, the nose gear yoke is approximately between the nine and ten o'clock position on the nose wheel.

If you look at a completed Eduard Mirage IIIC you will see that the edge of the main gear doors are above the wheel rims, while the nose gear yoke is at about the eleven o'clock position on the nose wheel. I have checked all my references and the only time I see this relationship between the gear doors/yoke and the wheels on an actual Mirage is when there is no weight on the gear, when it is jacked up for maintenance or taking off.

I have been told on this forum that the actual Mirage that was used as the basis of Eduard's kit had its engine removed. So. it was considerably lighter than an operational Mirage, leading to the oleos being extended more than would be normal.

I do not have an exact measurement for the gear of an actual Mirage. But, I believe modifying the main gear oleos and nose gear yoke on the Eduard kit will improve the model.