1/72 CH-53GS "Heeresflieger", Italeri and RTM-addons

A short look on my current build, a CH-53GS of the german army (Heeresflieger). The kit is the HH-53C by Italeri, the kit is OK, but not as good as the airfix-kit. The resin parts are made by RTM (Ralf Trepkowski Modellbau) and are quite good.

CH-53a.jpg

Some of the sensor stuff had to be scratchbuilt.

CH-53b.jpg

CH-53c.jpg

I will paint it in the single tone oliv-green camo:

CH-53d.jpg

CH-53e.jpg

HAJO

Good point!

EAPS.jpg

But I just read on that page that the new filters are making some problems since they have to be fitted to each engine individually, which means you can´t replace the filters of one A/C with the ones of another.

So it will depend on the future aquisition of complete new engines if they will introduce the filters to the GS-fleet.

http://www.bw-flyer.de/neu/helikopter/ch53/ch53gs.htm

HAJO

Hi!

Cool start of a building feature! Go! Go! Go!

The "Lizard"-scheme is in use with the CH-53G, the GS-variant is still in RAL 6014 (NATO-Olive), AFAIK. This is due to costs. If you want to build a CH-53 in RAL 7021 Schwarzgrau / RAL 6003 Olivgrün / F.S. 34079 Forest Green, you should opt for an aircraft without the ECM-equipment. No. 85+03, was the first aircraft to be repainted in the year 2000. It has the new composite blades and the boxed-in APU exhaust, but neither sponson-droptanks nor ECM.

The typical GS is still olive green overall. This might change over time (as Hajo has written), but you'll need pictures or a cool laissez-faire attitude, to just do a "Lizard"-GS.

BTW, a complete 3-side-view of the new paint scheme can be found in this F-40 issue (F 40: a German aircraft series dedicated to modern German military aircraft, also the higher-quality NATO-grade for jet fuel).

HTH

Jan

(Reserve officer of Heeresfliegeregiment 15 - med. transport helicopter regiment 15)

Edited by PeepingBear

@ Hajo & Pinky coffeeboat:

The whole fleet will receive (or might already have) the new composite blades. AFAIK, the "lizard"-scheme is intended for all CH-53G(S), but they will get it only when a regular paintscheme overhaul is due.

@ Pinky coffeboat:

If you want translations - NOT the whole book!!!! ;-) - from the F-40 book, it's on my shelf and I'll help you, your "payment" will be telling me all my errors (I need to practice the English language).

Cheers

Jan

Hajo, just one suggestion as I have seen many of your recent builds suffer from very rough paintjobs round the canopies/transparent parts:

buy some Tamiya masking tape or some Humbrol Maskol, which would make life a lot easier. I mean: what's the point in getting so much details

and resin plus add-ons if the rest appears to be slammed together. Don't mean to offend you, but take the time and do the parts some justice.

Doesn't hurt to slow down the process a bit to get the balance right between quality and quantity.

Happy modelling,

István

Edited by I.Illes
Oh dear, my "usual" problem... :D

I always try to paint my canopies free-hand, and on most occasions it works. Sometimes it doesn´t work...

HAJO

Well, it ads a lot to realism and quality in general if you paint them using a mask.

I used to do it freehand, too, but the paintlayers look different no matter how straight the lines are.

(Anderer Farbauftrag und so...). You might also want to try to paint the edges (where the glue goes) with black paint,

so the reflection of light on the edges won't make them appear to be toyish. Helps a lot. What I do on such projects is

to mix White glue and black acrylics or black ink. Works like a charm.

István

Another great idea would be to remove that horrible seamline running along the doghouse up to the tailboom's upper edge. Again back to the point: why do you add so much resin and tiny details when you don't care about eliminating BIG flaws? Sorry, really, but that needed to be said.

István

Edited by I.Illes
  • 2 weeks later...

Some update on the progress:

CH-53g.jpg

As you can see, I already applied the decals. They went on pretty smooth, but later on I had a terrible mishap: When I was applying matt gloss again they started reacting with the thinner! I had to repair one by adding a number from a different sheet, and seal all others with future. The pictures were made before the mishap, I will provide more during the next days.

CH-53f.jpg

HAJO