1/35 leopard 2 a6

well here is the last one for the 08 building year. the leopard 2 a6 by tamiya. a trouble free build so far and a great fiting kit. i do so love these tamiyas. this one is being built all oob and is being used by the munster armor school of the german armed forces. since they train all the tank crews. i have done steps 1 thru 6 so far. this one is going to be painted in nato colors but with a slight twist to the paint job which for now is top secret. we all know how good the greamans were at the camo thing during WWII. so be on the look out in a few days for a new type of camo. job.

100_0086.jpg

Picture001-1.jpg

Picture002.jpg

all right i think its time for an update. its about 90% done. all i have to add to it is the storage baskets and grenade launches. the roadwheels are ready for paint as is the whole tank. i was going to attempt a 3 d paint job for this. but that would have took a lot of cutting of tape and time. so i decide to do a new winter type of paint scheme for this tank. so enjoy the pics.

100_0139.jpg

100_0141.jpg

100_0140.jpg

100_0142.jpg

100_0143.jpg

Looks good so far.

The Leopard 2A6 has only ever worn one camo scheme while in german use. the nato 3 tone one listed in the instructions. Other export variants which have alot of external differences wear different camo schemes. The canadians are using the 2A6 in the mid east right now. mainly the german variant and even those are wearing the stadard 3 tone under the dust and anti RPG slat armor.

I really need to get my 1/6 Leo running soon. Just needs batteries.

Are you sure about the "all german tank crews are trained at Munster"-thing? Because when I was in the Bundeswehr, only our drivers and the commanders (NCOs and COs) had enjoyed training/driving school at Munster, while guys like me (gunner) and the loaders were trained in their home units. We only went to Munster when we were doing exercises on the firing range or spent the weekend on their range to practice.

HAJO

Could have changed over the last years, I totally forgot to mention that my experience is already over 12 years old. ;) We were still using Leopard 1A5s then.

And maybe we talk about the same thing, but with a different understanding: My idea was that you said that "all" training would be done in Munster. Well, at least we got our life-firing and a lot of handling-practice while beeing deployed to Munster.

But we got our basic training on the tank and the gun systems like "where and how to start and run-up the electronics", "how to check the hydraulic system", "general aiming training" in our home barracks (Boostedt, north of germany, PzBtl. 183 then).

Anyway, I remember that we were able to look and walk through (and grab and touch everything ;) ) of the then "new" Leo2A5 in Munster in early 1997. I was deeply impressed of a lot of small things that were invented and installed to make things much easier for a tanker. I can´t tell what kind of things it were, like I said, they have been really small and overall not very important things. But I just finished my tour through the 2A5 with the thought "ok, this is really an improvement - in all possible aspects - to the 1A5 and the 2A4".

Good luck on your model, I´m looking forward to your winter camo!

HAJO