Printable modern aircraft carrier deck section

• 1 month later...

I'm working on a concrete version (tarmac). Each square tile is 4.625" which I think scales out to around 20 ft @ 1/48 scale. Any suggestions on: airfield markings (with a diagram and/or ref photos), manhole covers, drains, etc.. is much appreciated.

I'm building the PhotoShop file in layers, so that I can go from a clean concrete base to a dirty (abandoned) field—and anywhere in between. I'll post a few progress pics. This printable base is designed to be modular, so that you can cut the tiles apart as needed to fit your layout (and put in grass sections, etc).

Right now the PhotoShop file is being built (16 squares) to measure 18.5" x 18.5" @ 250 dpi.

Thanks for looking,

Mike

ConcreteBase.jpg

ConcreteBaseClean.jpg

ConcreteBaseDirty.jpg

Thank you.

I'd be happy to work on a runway as well (request from earlier in the post), if someone will get me good ref pics - markings included.

I'm good at PhotoShop, but I don't have the military experience.

Mike

sorry to ask a dumb question.. but how are you using these? are you printing them on paper and gluing them down? Airbrushing future over them to seal it (then flat)? i have never attempted these and was curious..

mike, what part of north cali? bay area here.

I'm in Southern California. South Orange County area.

I'll work on a 1/32 version as well. I still need to figure out the measurements.

The 1/48 file is 19" x 19" now. I have a friend who can do large format outputs for me.

I think for the final version I'll have to make a series (of tiles) to fit on 11" x 17".

That way you can get color prints made at a local Staples, Kinkos etc.

I'm also looking for a good place (free site) to post the final high res jpg images.

Mike

I'll work on a 1/32 version as well. I still need to figure out the measurements.

The 1/48 file is 19" x 19" now. I have a friend who can do large format outputs for me.

I think for the final version I'll have to make a series (of tiles) to fit on 11" x 17".

I'm also looking for a good place (free site) to post the final high res jpg images.

Mike

Mike,

You Da Man!! A big thank you for considering these in 1/32. It will be awesome.

Now to answer Mike in Bay Area: I'm in Yuba City. Hey my local IPMS club is holding the Regional here in YC. So, if you can stop by and we can chat in person.

Having all these Mikes on this thread gave me a flashback. Few years back I worked for an outfit that had 5 other employees name Mike. It was nuts when some one called out Mike....lol

Mike in YC

Edited by Youngtiger1
Mike,

You Da Man!! A big thank you for considering these in 1/32. It will be awesome.

Now to answer Mike in Bay Area: I'm in Yuba City. Hey my local IPMS club is holding the Regional you here in YC. So, if you can stop by and we can chat in person.

Having all these Mikes on this thread gave me a flashback. Few years back I worked for an outfit that had 5 employs name Mike. It was nuts when some one called out Mike....lol

Mike in YC

sweet. pm sent..

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, and a "Big Thanks" again to Markus for the deck and for starting this post.

Mike

First of all thank you Markus and Mike for sharing your awesome work with us.

Mike

Mike, if it's not too much trouble, How about modifying your tarmacks to represent Soviet ones? :wub:

These slabs are rectangular in shape instead of square. Armin, another ARC'er, shared the following information with me some time ago.

Original Slab dims. are: 3.8 x 7.2 m

1/48: 3.116 X 5.905 in. (80 X 150 mm)

1/72: 2.077 X 3.937 in. (52.7 X 100 mm)

Hope you can help.

Thanks,

Ernie A.

Hi Ernie,

I'll do some Soviet slabs for you. It may take me a little while. And I'm still working on the 1/32 version as well.

I've put the runway idea on the back burner for now (huge files that would have to be tiled out). Sorry guys.

For now here is a progress report. The 1/48 scale sections have been made to fit on 11"x17".

The 1/32 version also seems to work on 11"x17". I left a small white border, since most printers

don't print full bleed at 11"x17"

Mike, if it's not too much trouble, How about modifying your tarmacks to represent Soviet ones? :thumbsup:

These slabs are rectangular in shape instead of square. Armin, another ARC'er, shared the following information with me some time ago.

Original Slab dims. are: 3.8 x 7.2 m

1/48: 3.116 X 5.905 in. (80 X 150 mm)

1/72: 2.077 X 3.937 in. (52.7 X 100 mm)

Hope you can help.

Thanks,

Ernie A.

Edited by mgrandison

Mike,

Those look awesome! You my friend have a talent with computer graphics. So, how big of a file are you looking at for a High Res in 1/32? Thanks again for all your time and effort.

Mike in YC

Ack! WANT!!

Please let me know when you have these up for download! VERY VERY VERY nice! Heck, I would have entered a couple more of my kits last weekend at the contest if I had these for them... Next year!

Hi Ernie,

I'll do some Soviet slabs for you. It may take me a little while. And I'm still working on the 1/32 version as well.

I've put the runway idea on the back burner for now (huge files that would have to be tiled out). Sorry guys.

For now here is a progress report. The 1/48 scale sections have been made to fit on 11"x17".

The 1/32 version also seems to work on 11"x17". I left a small white border, since most printers

don't print full bleed at 11"x17"

Here is the first batch of 1/48 scale sections:

Tarmac1_48.jpg

Tarmac2_48.jpg

Tarmac3_48.jpg

Tarmac4_48.jpg

Tarmac5_48.jpg

Tarmac6_48.jpg

Tarmac7_48.jpg

PS. I'm still looking for a good place to post the final High Res files.

Thanks,

Mike

:D

Ack! WANT!!

Please let me know when you have these up for download! VERY VERY VERY nice! Heck, I would have entered a couple more of my kits last weekend at the contest if I had these for them... Next year!

I've posted the high res files here: http://www.4shared.com/dir/14896314/608bc0dd/Tarmac.html

Each opened jpg file is about 29 MB, 11"x17" @ 300dpi in CMYK.

Mike

OOPS.. I forgot the previews.

Tarmac1_48.jpg Tarmac1_48-1.jpg

Tarmac2_48.jpg Tarmac2_48-1.jpg

Tarmac3_48.jpg Tarmac3_48-1.jpg

Tarmac4_48.jpg Tarmac4_48-1.jpg

Tarmac5_48.jpg Tarmac5_48-1.jpg

Tarmac6_48.jpg Tarmac6_48-1.jpg

Tarmac7_48.jpg Tarmac7_48-1.jpg

Helipad.jpg Helipad.jpg

Helipad2.jpg Helipad2.jpg

One more

HoldLine_48.jpg HoldLine_Thumb.jpg

Edited by mgrandison

I found this site while doing some research: http://www.thebaseguy.com/servlet/StoreFront

I haven't purchased anything from the site yet, but the quality looks good and there are a variety of WWII and Modern bases in all scales.

Hope this helps,

Mike

ps. Does anyone know what happened to www.justplanestuff.net?

I found this site while doing some research: http://www.thebaseguy.com/servlet/StoreFront

I haven't purchased anything from the site yet, but the quality looks good and there are a variety of WWII and Modern bases in all scales.

Hope this helps,

Mike

ps. Does anyone know what happened to www.justplanestuff.net?

not sure.. i tried to find them.. here is one place i found their product.

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/De...;so=a&sc=48