Printable modern aircraft carrier deck section

These look awesome!!!

How about some WW2 decks???

Indeed they do.

I paper model a bit and when you put these sorts of texture out on photo quality paper they look amazing. You can do some extra artifacts such as placards, warning signs etc the same way. The medium is well suitied to making buildings and the more angular superstructure of modern warships.

There are some WWII carrier decks - US/Japanese in the downloads section of the zealot.com card forum. Registration is free.

Hi Delayar!

Great effort. Thank you for sharing your work!

I am going to take that as an example.

I am working on a 1/48 nimitz-class diorama. Currently I am drawing plans for my scratch-building. I try to make them as authentic and precise as possible, for me.

The problem is there is no ultimate (or even basic) reference. It is really frustrating. However taking some authentic measurements I have finally started to draw.

Have a look:

catapulttopview01.jpg

This is a catapult drawn from photos. It is a dwg-file exported into Illustrator (hence the non-circular fillets - a export/import issue) - whatever the data format is it would make a great template for rendering - and of course if dimensioned a great plan for scratch-building. I can provide the plan in any scale - a few seconds click here and there...

If you want it as a template drop me a PM line...

I also have the JDB - this is MK 2 with authentic dimensions found here !!!!!!!!! One of my crucial references!

jdbtopview01.jpg

The scaled master-plan for my diorama is coming together.... all done in Rhino, hehe.

I will be happy to share it when it is done and accepted as fairly accurate.

Corrections, ideas, opinions are very welcomed but please note that in fact Nimitz-class flight decks are different in detail. So are the catapults. One thing I found out when collecting contradictory, rather confusing reference photos...

Looking forward to see more of your excellent renderings - and hearing from you - in the future, Delayar!

best regards to you all fellow ARCers!

martin

Hi Delayar!

Great effort. Thank you for sharing your work!

I am going to take that as an example.

I am working on a 1/48 nimitz-class diorama. Currently I am drawing plans for my scratch-building. I try to make them as authentic and precise as possible, for me.

The problem is there is no ultimate (or even basic) reference. It is really frustrating. However taking some authentic measurements I have finally started to draw.

Have a look:

catapulttopview01.jpg

This is a catapult drawn from photos. It is a dwg-file exported into Illustrator (hence the non-circular fillets - a export/import issue) - whatever the data format is it would make a great template for rendering - and of course if dimensioned a great plan for scratch-building. I can provide the plan in any scale - a few seconds click here and there...

If you want it as a template drop me a PM line...

I also have the JDB - this is MK 2 with authentic dimensions found here !!!!!!!!! One of my crucial references!

jdbtopview01.jpg

The scaled master-plan for my diorama is coming together.... all done in Rhino, hehe.

I will be happy to share it when it is done and accepted as fairly accurate.

Corrections, ideas, opinions are very welcomed but please note that in fact Nimitz-class flight decks are different in detail. So are the catapults. One thing I found out when collecting contradictory, rather confusing reference photos...

Looking forward to see more of your excellent renderings - and hearing from you - in the future, Delayar!

best regards to you all fellow ARCers!

martin

Not sure if this will help, but check out this article.. just amazing.. i hope this is what you are trying to build, if not then sorry...

http://www.naritafamily.com/howto/F14Ddior...photo_frame.htm

*Sorry to post off the main subject of these beautiful images.. mike

Edited by tragik
Mike,

Those look awesome! You my friend have a talent with computer graphics. So, how big of a file are you looking at for a High Res in 1/32? Thanks again for all your time and effort.

Mike in YC

I'll have to make A and B sides, so you can tile the sections to print out on 11"x17". Or you can use them individually.

The final file size (29 MB) should be the same as they will be made to fit 11"x17" @ 300 dpi.

Mike

I'll have to make A and B sides, so you can tile the sections to print out on 11"x17". Or you can use them individually.

The final file size (29 MB) should be the same as they will be made to fit 11"x17" @ 300 dpi.

Mike

Those renderings look very nice. :D Would love to see the catapult line drawing being rendered. :worship: I will put the finished flight deck plan online @ for instance www.4shared.com (can u recommend that site?) so anyone can use it (including, ESPECIALLY YOU!) :coolio: . If you'd need photos as an example for rendering drop me a line and I'll put them online as well. I am still correcting proportions here and there. BTW except for those two pair of rectangular cross-sected rods along the sledge-slot the whole catapult is FLAT. Equally leveled to the flight deck's tarmac surface. If you add those two pair of rods (using evergreen) a print out should make a nice 1/48 catapult. I did a 1/48scaled print with my inkjet fairly ok-printer and the detail is acceptable.

til then regards & happy kick *** dioraming!

Martin,

Thanks for doing the cat layout. I've been trying to put together one for the Enterprise for a Tomcat launch. Will you have this in 1/32 also? The JBD looks good too.

Thanks again.

RG

I've posted a few more 1/48 scale files. http://www.4shared.com/dir/14896314/608bc0dd/Tarmac.html

HoldLine_48.jpg HoldLine_Thumb.jpg

HoldLine2_48.jpg HoldLine2_Thumb.jpg

Helipad3_48.jpg Helipad3_Thumb.jpg

Helipad4_48.jpg Helipad4_Thumb.jpg

Tarmac8_48.jpg Tarmac8_Thumb.jpg

CarrierDeck_48.jpg CarrierDeck_48.jpg

CarrierDeck2_48.jpg CarrierDeck2.jpg

Feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by mgrandison
Those renderings look very nice. :whistle: Would love to see the catapult line drawing being rendered. :D I will put the finished flight deck plan online @ for instance www.4shared.com (can u recommend that site?) so anyone can use it (including, ESPECIALLY YOU!) :coolio: . If you'd need photos as an example for rendering drop me a line and I'll put them online as well. I am still correcting proportions here and there. BTW except for those two pair of rectangular cross-sected rods along the sledge-slot the whole catapult is FLAT. Equally leveled to the flight deck's tarmac surface. If you add those two pair of rods (using evergreen) a print out should make a nice 1/48 catapult. I did a 1/48scaled print with my inkjet fairly ok-printer and the detail is acceptable.

til then regards & happy kick *** dioraming!

www.4shared.com seems to be working for me so far (and it's free). Photos are always good for reference.

Mike

Your work is awesome!!!

Thank you. I'm working on a 1/32 tarmac now. I also owe a friend some Soviet Slabs in 1/48.

Send me an email if you need something specific, or if my markings (or scale) are off.

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by mgrandison
Thank you. I'm working on a 1/32 tarmac now. I also owe a friend some Soviet Slabs in 1/48.

Send me an email if you need something specific, or if my markings (or scale) are off.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

can you upload the .psd file of CarrierDeck2_48.jpg where all layers are included?

I'll try to render the cat and JDB and use part of your textures.

thx in advance and keep up the outstanding rendering!

regards

Mike,

can you upload the .psd file of CarrierDeck2_48.jpg where all layers are included?

I'll try to render the cat and JDB and use part of your textures.

thx in advance and keep up the outstanding rendering!

regards

The .psd file is too large to upload. Email me your address and I can mail it to you on a DVD.

Mike

I've posted the first 1/32 tarmac versions here: http://www.4shared.com/dir/15418174/344f4408/Tarmac_32.html

The files are made to fit on 11"x17" and have been divided into "Side A" and "Side B". The final .jpgs have a white border around all sides.

Helipad1_32 Helipad1_32_Thumb.jpg

Tarmac1_32 Tarmac1_32_Thumb.jpg

Tarmac2_32 Tarmac2_32_Thumb.jpg

Tarmac3_32 Tarmac3_32_Thumb.jpg

Tarmac4_32 Tarmac4_32_Thumb.jpg

I'll have some "Navy Deck" sections soon.

Enjoy,

Mike

ps. All comments are welcome.

pps. Sorry about posting this twice.

The deck plan is just superb! Will you be adding the tie-downs and small details like the ammo lifts as well?

Mark

hey mark,

glad u like it :thumbsup:

Tie downs are still an issue - there are so many and I am still not 100% sure about the allocation. Also there are different types as you probably know.

I will get back to that as soon as I have more time.

BTW sorry it took me some time to reply!

rg

Martin

Hey Mike, have you made any 1/72 scale tarmacs or carrier deck sections? I would really like to make a dio out of these.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

1/72 scale files are in the works and should be up soon. And I'm sending the layered Carrier Deck files to Martin in Berlin.

Meanwhile, I just added some 1/32 Navy Carrier Decks. Same as before, Side A (Left) and Side B (Right).

CarrierDeckA_32.jpg CarrierDeckA_32.jpg

CarrierDeckB_32.jpg CarrierDeckB_32.jpg

CarrierDeck2A_32.jpg CarrierDeck2A_32.jpg

CarrierDeck2B_32.jpg CarrierDeck2B_32.jpg

CarrierDeck3A_32.jpg CarrierDeck3A_32.jpg

CarrierDeck3B_32.jpg CarrierDeck3B_32.jpg

Let me know if you need anything specific or have any reference pics.

Mike

Beautiful stuff here! But what about some backgroung for in-flight display? Thinking of runaway (like the mike grant's f-104), high-altitude ground, low-level (very blurry) and so-on. Come on you guys, you are so good!

Am I doing something wrong? I can't open or see the carrier deck JPG's.

RG

I uploaded them as .zip files to save space. Download the files from the 4shared.com site, then double-click the .zip file to open the .jpg archive (on a Mac).

Hope that helps. It should be similar on a PC.

Mike