Just purchaed my first Hasegawa F-14A

The best part is that it is from the first boxing with the really hard intake fit. I got it for under 40 after shipping, so thats why I went with that one. It should be here in a few days. In my research, it looks like thats the one I need for my 1976 VF-84 decals.

I don't know if I should be excited or scared.....

The best part is that it is from the first boxing with the really hard intake fit. I got it for under 40 after shipping, so thats why I went with that one. It should be here in a few days. In my research, it looks like thats the one I need for my 1976 VF-84 decals.

I think the atlantic/pacific fleet boxings are about $30 from eBay or spruebrothers, add in $10 for shipping at the most and it seems to me that it would be better to spend the few extra dollars so that headaceh doesn't need to be endured.

Unless FOD covers were planned from the beginning.

There's a very useful build article on Hyperscale by David Aungst which covers the issues very well including the dreaded intake fit. This link is part 3 which covers the main build. There are also a lot of other hints and tips to be found on ARC. Just be patient and you'll be rewarded with a great result.

be scared, be very scared... I have about 5-6 boxes of Hasegawa F-14 Tomcat, and all of them have broken pieces floating in the plastic bag, some of them have lost almost all small pieces jutting from the wing trailing edge which is needed to position the flap down

I wish I can request for some replacement parts from Hasegawa for free, but I'm not sure how to do that

I have 4 waiting to be built, they scare the poop outta me.......thats why I stick to F-16's....

Jeff

I am in the finishing stages of my first Hasegawa F-14. I can't say it is not without a few problems but i think sometimes people tend to build a mountain out of a mole hill. I know I put off the dreaded nose to fuselage connection, but after I did it, it really wasn't that bad. It just takes a bit of filler and some sanding. (or nail polish remover) I am by no means a expert modeler (this is my second model after "getting back into the hobby" since I was a teenager. The main gear wheel wells were a problem for me as well, but I live and learn. The hasegawa tomcat is not a tamiya f-16 but it is much better than the iterali F-15 I did before this model. "stop talking about models, and BUILD models"

PS if you want to see the progress pics check it out here

Hey Kelly,

It's really not that bad. TAKE YOUR TIME and TEST FIT, TEST FIT, TEST FIT and you shouldn't have a problem. I'd recommend getting some strip stock plastic to use as reinforcement for the major parts join (top and bottom main fuselage, front to rear fuselage). I basically did those 3 things and mine came out pretty nicely (and I'm more of an assembler than a modeler!).

Good luck and keep us posted!

Mike

By a second kit, it'll take two to build one right...