Not quite the Arctic tundra… Outta place F-16’s

Aloha folks,

About a year waiting for this… Missed TDY’s, WX cancelled on several occasions, slipped fighter drags, and cancelled missions but finally a chance to refuel the Arctic Bandits! Better late than never!!! :coolio: The 18th AGRS folks were awesome and luckily we ended up with a little time between ARCTs. Anyhoo here are a few images to share with everyone, a bit dark I’m afraid but hope you all enjoy them… I really enjoyed working with the 18th; hope they’re enjoying a little warm weather!

Oh yeah… Can someone help me out with “hotspots� How the heck do a post-process fix those suckers. Any & all help greatly appreciated!!! :wub:

Mahalo Ahui Hou :yahoo:

Mark

AGRS001.jpg

AGRS003.jpg

AGRS004.jpg

AGRS005.jpg

Oh, those are the new RDLBU-13's. That's Robotic Dog-Like Bomb Unit -13. They look like some kind of recce pod, but are actually the USAF's newest smart bomb. Dropped from the F-16, the RDLBU-13 drops to the earth, and then using the most advanced Olfactic sensors, literally sniffs out terrorist hideouts and walks in to them. At that point, the RDLBU-13 delivers its bite via it's extremely lethal 500lb K-9 explosive warhead. It's really quite amazing actually. :yahoo: :wub:

Jason

Oh, those are the new RDLBU-13's. That's Robotic Dog-Like Bomb Unit -13. They look like some kind of recce pod, but are actually the USAF's newest smart bomb. Dropped from the F-16, the RDLBU-13 drops to the earth, and then using the most advanced Olfactic sensors, literally sniffs out terrorist hideouts and walks in to them. At that point, the RDLBU-13 delivers its bite via it's extremely lethal 500lb K-9 explosive warhead. It's really quite amazing actually. :coolio: :wub:

Jason

I was about to make a joke out of it that it was the latest aligator bomb until I read your explination :yahoo:

WOW

Take CAre

Mark,

You can fix hot spots in photos with a couple of different tools. I am most familiar with Photo Shop CS3. In that tool you can use the dodge or burn tool to bring things our or remove them. If that is not working, you could very carefully use the clone tools and clone areas right around the hot spots and that will help things go away.

Mark

Buck, you're killing me!!! Spot on Dude!!!

EDIT:

Buck, I have to admit, I looked more at the images than your comment. After your question about hot spots, I went back, looked at the images, downloaded them, looked at them again in Capture NX2 and while you are getting close to blown out highlights, they are very acceptable as they seem to be more around the text of second image giving them almost a halo effect, this is probably from unsharp mask. Other than that, no blown out highlights on the jet or the clouds on any of the images. "Hot Spots" & "Blown Out Highlights" are nothing but areas that the image has no info other than pure white, which it should never really have, there should always be some detail. You've preserved that detail. Well done Padawan!

AGRS004.jpg

Edited by Fuji

Jesus, Buck... some people were born lucky, you were definately one of those people! Talk about being in the right place at the right time These shots are amazing (and since I have the AB decals for every last one of those jets, I hope you don't mind if these photos go into my reference file :thumbsup: )

Aloha all & MAHALO for the comments & interest, really appreciate it! Also a big thanks for all the help on photography, always been an interest of mine & something I'm still very much learning. Really appreciate the pros here lending a hand :thumbsup:

Fuji, thanks again for everything... PM on the way Sir! :unsure:

Mahalo Ahui hou... Off to dig around for an F-16 to build! :D

Mark

Oh yeah… Can someone help me out with “hotspots� How the heck do a post-process fix those suckers. Any & all help greatly appreciated!!! :unsure:

Buck,

Great shots. Feel free to PM me if you have a spare seat on the next flight..... :thumbsup:

With regards to the hotspots, there's not much you can do in the post-processing simply because there is no information but "white" in those areas. Best way to avoid those things in the future would be to deliberately underexpose your photos anywhere between 1/3 to 1 ev depending on the conditions. If you know your way around PhotoShop (or similar software) it's then possible to manually correct the image to give a more uniform overall appearance. It will however take some time to do it.

Did you shoot in RAW or jpg??. Shooting RAW will allow you more post-processing possibilities when using the right software.

That said, that's some Kilo Alpha shots and I didn't notice any imperfections whatsoever, nor did I notice any hotpots until Fuji did his magic.

Keep up the good work.

Rgds

Bjarne

Fuji would it help much to make adjustments to the camera's white balance in this scenario?(on the other hand I figured it would be a bit cumbersome to do in such a situation)

Its not so much about white balance as WB has to do more with the color of light. IE: Sunlight, Fluorescent, Tungsten, Flash, Etc. These are all shot under direct sunlight so the WB should set to Sunlight, pretty simple. The problem here is contrast. A camera meter tries to turn everything to 18% gray. If its overly dark, it will over expose, if its overly bright, it will under expose and you'll need to compensate in the opposite direction get a better image. If I am shooting in open daylight anywhere around midday, I usually under expose by about 1/3 of a stop. I check my histograms and highlight feature and if I'm still having issues, I'll knock it down another third. Digital cameras are better at capturing detail in shadowed areas than in bright light. Main thing is practice and learning as you go. These are of course guidelines and not set laws as every situation will be different.

Buck only had a slight issue with the Holstein scheme and I think that's because of the strong black markings. His post processing could also have been a factor as I see a lot of people over do it in PS. Even so, Buck's images were well handled and I will admit, if I was an editor, I'd be all over those shots.

until Fuji did his magic.

otslightning.gif

Now you know :redx:

Edited by Fuji