Tamiya tape alternative

Oh yea, saw this on another forum and headed down to my local Sherwin-Williams (paint store) and picked up 2 rolls - a 1" and 2" by 60 yards for $17. I now have more tape then I'll probably ever, ever need... :thumbsup: The stuff is great, too, identical basically to the Tamiya product.

JON

Oh yea, saw this on another forum and headed down to my local Sherwin-Williams (paint store) and picked up 2 rolls - a 1" and 2" by 60 yards for $17. I now have more tape then I'll probably ever, ever need... :thumbsup: The stuff is great, too, identical basically to the Tamiya product.

JON

Jon,

If you happen to go to Japan town in San Francisco, there's a small discount shop (forgot the name) that sells masking tape that is similar, if not the same, as Tamiya tape for only a dollar a roll.

Jon,

If you happen to go to Japan town in San Francisco, there's a small discount shop (forgot the name) that sells masking tape that is similar, if not the same, as Tamiya tape for only a dollar a roll.

Ryan - thanks! Now I'll have 2x the tape that I can use in a lifetime! I'll have to go try and find it sometime and check it out. :woot.gif:

JON

After a rather convoluted search, a UK company www.decoratingdirect.co.uk stock Kip tape. (Kip is a German subsidiary of Shurtape).

Kip Fineline Yellow masking tape sounds the same as Shurtape:

"Kip Fineline Yellow masking tape is a flat-backed ultra thin painters tape capable of producing razor sharp lines. The latest generation of tape it leaves only the the sharpest, cleanest lines - perfect for painting stripes, and block colours on walls. Formulated with a new lower-tack adhesive, it removes cleanly from delicate surfaces and won't damage painted drywall or paint effect finishes.

60-day release

Clean removal

Delicate Surface

Acrylic-based adhesive "

Prices seem quite good (eg. 25mm x 50M =£3.28). Could work out considerably cheaper that Tamiya tape?