Jonathan Umana Seravalli

I'm opening this Bad Trader thread to keep tabs on the progression of Events.

To update you all on what has transpired so far:

1. on the November 11th, i received a payment for $32.46 USD for some DrPepperResins products.

2. On the November 12th, i received an email from Paypal:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A review of recent transactions indicates that you might have received a

payment that the PayPal account holder did not authorize.

To protect you from problematic transactions, we sometimes request

additional information about PayPal payments.

We need more information about this transaction. Please log in to your

PayPal account, click the "Resolution Center"tab, and provide more

information by 18/11/2008.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i could not respond by the website, everytime i clicked the button, i got a general paypal error. i contacted the service center about this, no resolution, they continued to send me reminders to "provide more information"

3. on the 19th of November, i got this email from paypal:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've concluded our investigation into the transaction detailed below.

Because we determined that you did not meet the eligibility requirements

for the PayPal Seller Protection Policy, you are being charged for this

reversed transaction. We've returned the funds to the PayPal account

holder, and your account will be debited for the amount of this transaction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a check with my account reveals the following transactions:

Payment from Jonathan: +$32.46

Money on hold: - $32.46

Payment Reversal: $-32.46

which means, without even doing anything, i lost $32.46

i contacted Jonathan. He said he didn't know what's going on, why this happened, and that he wasn't in his hometown to sort this out.

On Nov 25, he said he would get his mom to send me the $32.46 via western union, from Costa Rica.

My personal opinion is that Jonathan appears willing to sort this mess out, and that he says he has plenty of people on ARC to vouch for him, so i'll just leave it as it is now, till I see some resolution. I hope it comes soon, i don't know what kind of screwed up loophole Paypal has..

drPepper

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick one here, NEVER click on a link from a paypal email, even if it looks genuine; you can never be sure.

If paypal have sent something, open a seperate window or tab and log in normally, there will be something in the resolution window.

Julien

Just a quick one here, NEVER click on a link from a paypal email, even if it looks genuine; you can never be sure.

If paypal have sent something, open a seperate window or tab and log in normally, there will be something in the resolution window.

Julien

that's what i did, i logged into paypal separately, and there it was, something to add my comments for the resolution, but i was always unable to complete it. kept bringing me back to a "general paypal error" page.

and, still no news from Jonathan. i would caution you guys, so far, no one has stepped up to vouch for him also, so that's can't be good

an update:

He emailed me today to say that his last job's pay has not been deposited, he will try to find a job and pay me around march or april.

i wonder what happened to the mother's money via western union? or why would you need to find a job to pay thirty bucks? he probably spent that much at his "cybercafe" on the internet

i'm getting quite upset.

an update:

He emailed me today to say that his last job's pay has not been deposited, he will try to find a job and pay me around march or april.

i wonder what happened to the mother's money via western union? or why would you need to find a job to pay thirty bucks? he probably spent that much at his "cybercafe" on the internet

i'm getting quite upset.

I believe it's called "stringing you along."

Reading your first post, am I understanding correctly that Paypal reversed his payment and then took the same amount out of your account?

Ken

• 4 weeks later...
I believe it's called "stringing you along."

Reading your first post, am I understanding correctly that Paypal reversed his payment and then took the same amount out of your account?

Ken

that's right, paypal reversed his payment then took the same amount out of my account. sucks, doesn't it?

still no $$ from him, i think i'm never going to see it. the rest of you guys, please beware

drPepper

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry you have had such an ordeal Dr. Pepper. Jonathan has been a very good customer of mine, and I have never had a problem with him, and he has ordered many times. Seems kind of strange. I know he was in the states for awhile visiting family around Thanksgiving and Christmas . I haven't heard from him in awhile, but he is a good guy.

Cheers,

-Doug :D

that's right, paypal reversed his payment then took the same amount out of my account. sucks, doesn't it?

drPepper

And that is EXACTLY the reason I will NEVER use Paypal. I have read too many horror stories, to counter the "good Paypal" posts.

Just my 2¢.

Larry

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Except for the "Euro-style" dating, the PayPal notice seem to me to be likely legit. If you are in Singapore or Malaya, then your computer likely has "Euro-style" default dating and so maybe your PayPal account has this loaded in some way.

I have received one of these emails regarding a payment made to me through PayPal. I my case, the button to the dispute resolution page worked and I explained that I was being paid as I would have expected. The buyer did the same, indicating that the payment was really his. PayPal lifted their hold on the funds within 24 hours.

Afterward, one of their phone service reps said that it was an automatic response of their security systems to some element of the buyer's transaction. Examples given were : a buyer's repeated failed attempts to sign-in, buyer signing in from an IP address that was geographically far away from either recently used IP addresses or the account's physical address, IP addresses that are in the same numerical block as other IP addresses that are subject to a fraud investigation, IP addresses in certain countries. and so on.

In my case, the buyer, from Canada, was on travel in Russia when he paid me - so that was likely the element that tripped the automated security system.

Your buyer may have opened his account while in the USA. Or, PayPal may have a bias against Costa Rica:

http://www.abroadincostarica.com/paypal/

PayPal's "new improved" pages are all filled with really heavy latest-version JavaScript. The failed button may be an OS, browser or Java Virtual Machine incompatibility with your computer. Loading some alternate browser(s) and making sure you have the latest revs for Java VM, browser and OS might help - with the PayPal site and others.

As for the buyer not paying you otherwise since then .... that would be "stringing you along", I should think. :)

- Strelok

• 3 weeks later...

Dear all,

it has been 6 months since the inception of this saga. Despite repeated emails to him to remind him of the amount he owes, he has not been.. "eager" to repay the monies owed and i have to keep reminding him. as such, i have decided to lay the matter to rest, without claiming my money. who knows? perhaps even if i got paypaled the money back, the same incident might happen again and i would just end up being twice as worse.

regardless of whether the paypal automated system performed as advertised, or increased security against particular countries, if he was truly sincere about paying back, he would have done it ASAP. thus, the issue has evolved, not so much about paypal now, but rather basic honesty.

so a word of caution, please deal with care.

drPepper