Tamiya /32nd scale F-14A Black Knights edition

Hi gang,

Let me start by saying a big thank you to everyone for stopping by and adding their kind and generous comments. I'm thrilled that you guys are enjoying viewing the updates as much as I am posting them. It's your enthusiasm and encouragement that keeps my motivation at its' highest, cheers guys. :taunt:

Question if I may Guy. How did you do that? I have to make a circuit breaker panel for the Trimotor that goes between the pilot and copilot seats, and it's a pretty busy little item. I've thought of covering it with aluminum or bare metal and making tiny scratches with a sharp pointed tool, but thought it might look hokey.

If I ever get around to building a propeller-less airplane, I think it'll be the Tomcat.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, your kind words mean alot, thanks. I think your idea is good. I've used the metal foil for data panels in the past and scratched the surface with the tip of a knife. In fact, I use the back of the blade to scratch in the writing and lines so I don't end up cutting through the foil.

The circuit breakers on this F-14 build are painted on but they'd be sharper if I was able to use the painted foil. The trouble is, the area is so busy and cluttered that it's almost impossible to work in or to get the tiny rectangles of foil to sit square, flat and true.

I've turned to my stash of wine bottle foil in the past (which is pre-painted) and used that for the stencil and data placards but I guess painting your own would work just as well.

One thing I'd mention is to use a thinned black wash over the panel after you've scratched the lines to tone the bright aluminium down a bit. That gives a more scale an less "sparkly" appearance.

I'm sure you'll make a spendid job of whatever you choose to do buddy and as for a Tomcat build, I say go for it,......you know you wanna! ;)

Hi Deino, thanks for the link buddy. I think this may be the same build that Chuck showed me earlier and which I referred to previously where the builder chose to omit the canopy locking latches through lack of space. To be honest, I did n't notice that they were missing and it certainly does n't detract too much from a fine build. He's obviously put alot of time and effort into it and it shows. As you said....."just insane...." :D

Hi HOLMES, Chuck, Marcel, Alexander and Richard, thanks so much guys. I appreciate you all taking the time to stop by and post your thoughts.

Stop being lazy! Paint those pipes!
Ha, ha...you know me too well Jake! The detail is so nice that it's just a pleasure to paint. I think I've discovered what I like best about scale aircraft modelling....... :lol:

Hi Charlie Cheetah, good to see you here. I'm thrilled that you're getting something from this build. I hope you'll stop by again from time to time to see what's cookin'

That piece will be one of my problems I'm sure... how can I do to make it?

The best solution would be a photoetched part and I'm not as skilful as you are

best regards,

Luca

Hello Luca, thank you for your kind comments. I'd encourage you to give it a try anyway, you might surprise yourself. It may look daunting but it's not too difficult with a little patience.

To give you an idea of how to do it, perhaps you could use the kit part as a template before you cut any plastic? If by any chance you are unhappy with your work then no harm done but if, as I expect, you find it easier than you think, then you are well on your way to constructing the new panels.

Remember though, before you start, you probably won't be able to swing the wings of the finished model. I plan to leave the wings on my model in the fully swept position but if you ever plan to alter the wing sweep of your own model, this technique is probably best avoided......

Hi Gerry, thanks for the info. I see what you mean and I'll try to replicate the same effect in the RIO footwell :salute:

So, here are the pipes all painted.....and throttle added.......

tn_Cockpitdetails025.jpg

Not much will be seen but as I mentioned before, it was a blast painting them so I did it anyway....

I've begun work on the RIO area now. The left hand vertical console is complete and I've added many of the switches to the right hand side horizontal panel. Most of these were missing or broken so I drilled some holes with a micro-drill and super-glued some wire into them.

tn_Cockpitdetails018.jpg

As you can see from the above photo, I'm picking out random panels in a dark grey colour rather than straight black. I feel this helps to break up the uniform look of the console and add a dash of life to the area. I'll use several different shades of "black" as I go to give some variety. One thing that I am pleased with is the screen on the right hand vertical panel. This is 35mm film negative cut to size and it fitted pretty well first time out (which is unusual...) It replicates the dark glossy screen perfectly.

OK, I'll be back later with more progress so stay tuned.......

Edited by geedubelyer
As a cockpit freak...........

Hi Jan, you and me both. :wasntme:

I'm really enjoying this aspect of the build though how you guys do what you do in 1/72 is astonishing. This is hard enough at this scale so your generous words are much appreciated. :monkeydance:

I know you build predominantly 1/72nd Jan but if you ever find yourself with a bit of spare cash, I'd heartily recommend you buy one of these Aires resin cockpit sets and build it up as a model in itself......it's that much fun! :cheers:

So this evening saw the right hand horizontal console get some more paint. I also fixed the foot rests in place in the well and added the reach adjustable rails that the footrests fix to (these rails are missing from the resin.) The silver buttons (comms switches?) are punched discs of silver foil.

tn_Cockpitdetails027.jpg

tn_Cockpitdetails028.jpg

tn_Cockpitdetails029.jpg

With just a couple more knobs and switches to pick out, tomorrow should see the start of work on the left hand side console.....

Cheers for now and thanks for stopping by.

:yahoo:

Nice C-pit?

@ Reddog one short question: why foot pedals in RIO place?

THX..

So the back seater can brace himself with them and for comfort. The where adjustable, hence the track. The track had notches on the inside and the pedals would lock into the notches

The little knobs on them where switches (IIRC) for the radio, one was for talking to just the pilot, the other was for talking to other aircraft but can't remember which one was which.

BTW, they would be silver.

Reddog :crying2:

Hi Guy

I've been catching up with your F-14 build. Absolutely fantastic. You are the man (even if that's not a really a correct expression for one Englishman to say to another - maybe I should say "You are the gentleman"?!). Truly inspirational though. love it.

Cheers

Ian

Hellooooo folks, :wave:

I'm back to bore you all to tears with more photos of the cockpit.... :P

Hi rom, HOLMES, David, Tomcat Fan, Alexander and Ian. I'm thrilled to have you follow along so thanks for that and thank you also for your generous words of encouragement. Always very much appreciated.

I'll stop by the Group builds and check out your A-7 build Ian, cheers.

Hi Gerry,......... man,...... you've just made my day! ^_^

I really appreciate the input and hearing your comments means alot. If someone who worked on these birds thinks the cockpit looks good then that's all I can hope for. :cheers:

Ok, so I'd planned to tackle the left hand side console in the back pit but I have n't had much time over the weekend due to installing a new handrail on our staircase so I changed tack slightly.

Instead, I put the sticks in along with the rudder pedals for the pilot.

tn_Cockpitdetails035.jpg

If you look at the base of the stick you might make out a flap of "cloth" that I added using some metal foil. I also scratched in a couple of lines to represent the zip on the gator as surprisingly this detail is missing from the resin. It's a little difficult to tell from these images but I used a very dark brown rather than black just to try to implicate age and wear to the rubber of the hand grip....

tn_Cockpitdetails034.jpg

One thing I noticed from looking at refs is that the pedals have a troughed/dished shape in the front pit whereas the etch is obviously flat. I opted to try to re-shape the pedals using the technique shown below....

tn_Tomcatpedals.jpg

A little wear along the bottom edge with silver paint looks better. As you can see, I could n't resist dry fitting the RIO glareshield in place too.........

tn_Cockpitdetails036.jpg

Next up is definately the left hand RIO console and then the back wall.........

Cheers,

<_<

Edited by geedubelyer
One thing I noticed from looking at refs is that the pedals have a troughed/dished shape in the front pit whereas the etch is obviously flat. I opted to try to re-shape the pedals using the technique shown below....

tn_Tomcatpedals.jpg

A little wear along the bottom edge with silver paint looks better. As you can see, I could n't resist dry fitting the RIO glareshield in place too.........

tn_Cockpitdetails036.jpg

Oh man, you've nailed it!

Very meticulous approach with your keen eye targeting to the mind-boggling result! :yahoo:

The 'pit looks awesome!

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander.

:woot.gif:

hehe :) and again out he comes with the drawings, I love these mate, right click save as if you don't mind :woot.gif:

the tub looks very nice almost 1:1, you set high standards on jobs like these and yet seem to fulfil them with simple ease.

Looking forward to the all finished picture series

Have Fun :yahoo:

Cheers

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Edited by stusbke