Tamiya /32nd scale F-14A Black Knights edition

These last few piccies show my attempt at fabricating this assembly..........

tn_Phoenixpylon009.jpg

tn_Phoenixpylon011.jpg

tn_Phoenixpylon012.jpg

Hi Guy! You mean that you have mastered the pylon thoroughly?? Great job by far! The underneath area looks simply smashing! Very neatly done!But may I ask. Don't you intend to offer the pylon to any aftermarket resin manufacturer? It would be a very nice improvement for other Cat fans. :jaw-dropping:

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander.

:jaw-dropping:

Hi Gregg, good to see you, thanks for stopping by. I'm pleased that things have progressed since you last took a look

AWESOME Phoenix adapter Guy, you nailed it perfectly.

The AIM-54 was retired in Sept 04 so if you are doing a plane after that you would not put a Phoenix adapter on the plane.

We use to have half of out jets with Phoenix adapters, the other have would have a Sparrow adapter on station 1B, station 8B would have a LANTRIN Pod and the belly would have two bomb rails.

Reddog

Hi Gerry, thanks for the heads-up sir. I guess the Checkmates must have been one of the last squadrons to use the AIM-54 pylon?

I like the way the Sparrow adaptor looks too but using the adaptor and fairing for the Phoenix just seems right on a Tomcat somehow. It's almost like a mark of respect since the F-14 was designed around that awesome missile. I'd considered hanging a Phoenix on this bird but eventually decided against it.

Hello mareku, I appreciate your enthusiastic support, cheers.

Don't you intend to offer the pylon to any aftermarket resin manufacturer?

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander.

Hi Alexanderand Qian, many thanks for your generous comments. You're very kind. In answer to your question, it briefly crossed my mind but then I reasoned that all I have done is add a little to the Tamiya parts. I'm unsure how a resin manufacturer would stand by way of copyright if they were to offer a modified copy of an existing manufacturers parts?

If there is a suitable answer to that question I can always modify the second pylon that comes with the kit I guess :explode:

For this particular pylon I continued by pre-shading. I'm not a fan of pre-shading in general but I admit that it has its' uses. This is one of those times. A subtle pre-shade helps to give the dirty, weathered look that I was hoping for.

tn_Phoenixpylon015.jpg

Neutral grey was used instead of black to help keep things subtle. The LAU-93 adaptor was picked out with Vallejo Light Grey and then masked

This was oversprayed with Light Ghost Grey from Lifecolor.

tn_Phoenixpylon017.jpg

(Apologies for the odd colour caste. These shots were taken under artificial light and for some reason, the camera really struggled to focus. These shots were the best of a bad bunch. I attempted to correct the colour using software but that altered the contrast in a wierd way so I left them )

The next stage was to randomly apply Dark Ghost grey and then pick out some panel edges with Vallejo Light Blue Grey to suggest touch-ups.

tn_Phoenixpylon019.jpg

More soon.........

:rofl:

Edited by geedubelyer

Hi Infideon and Anders, thanks guys, so glad you like it :banana:

After repeated applications of grime and touch up I think I'm approaching a point where I'm happy with the look.

The panel lines around the hinges and opening panels have been given a dark wash to bring them out a bit.

tn_Phoenixpylon024.jpg

What do you guys think? Is this weathered enough or could it do with more dirt around the opening panels? Remember, I'm trying to achieve a heavily used and weathered look. I'm in two minds at the moment.

Perhaps I'll leave it for now......I can always add more later once it's hung under the bird.......

Cheers.

:cheers:

Hi Infideon and Anders, thanks guys, so glad you like it :banana:

After repeated applications of grime and touch up I think I'm approaching a point where I'm happy with the look.

The panel lines around the hinges and opening panels have been given a dark wash to bring them out a bit.

tn_Phoenixpylon024.jpg

What do you guys think? Is this weathered enough or could it do with more dirt around the opening panels? Remember, I'm trying to achieve a heavily used and weathered look. I'm in two minds at the moment.

Perhaps I'll leave it for now......I can always add more later once it's hung under the bird.......

Cheers.

:cheers:

Looking **** buddy looking ****. I think that would be a wise idea to leave it like this for now and look at it agian when you're doing the final paint job. altough IMHO you would make some of the touch ups/repaints for CC more pronounced with a brighter shade of grey to even make it more weathered already.

Cool tip on the clear parts mate will keep that in mind for when I start mine...

Cheers

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Edited by stusbke
............ IMHO you would make some of the touch ups/repaints for CC more pronounced with a brighter shade of grey to even make it more weathered already.

Cheers

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Hi Frederick, yeah, that sounds like a good idea. Perhaps I'll add one, maybe two small areas of very light grey touch up when it comes time to hang the pylon.

Here's a pic of the pylon in its' current state. The LAU-93 is finished using MrColor metallisers (stainless steel, dark iron and gunmetal). The orange back drop is to help distinguish the two different greys. (The usual blue backdrop made them both blend together)

tn_Phoenixpylon029.jpg

Next up, some preliminary work on the LANTIRN pylon consisting of renewing a portion of the fairing, opening one or two holes and thinning edges......

tn_Lantirnpylon001.jpg

tn_Lantirnpylon004.jpg

This pylon will be less worn looking than its' opposite number.

More later.......

:whistle:

Great work Guy. What I really appreciate about your work is that it's consistent. You don't have a couple of areas that are extremely detailed and well painted, while others look like they got just a brush over. Everything is detailed, everything is well painted and decaled, and when it all comes together it looks uniform and consistent. That's where the realism comes in and sets your builds apart.

In one of your posts above you were debating about adding more weathering. My suggestion would be to wait until the bird is mostly together, then weather the areas that look anemic, and perhaps tone down some that look over the top. I really don't see you having to do that much anyways, as it's all pretty consistent to begin with.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers

Mike

In answer to your question, it briefly crossed my mind but then I reasoned that all I have done is add a little to the Tamiya parts. I'm unsure how a resin manufacturer would stand by way of copyright if they were to offer a modified copy of an existing manufacturers parts?

If there is a suitable answer to that question I can always modify the second pylon that comes with the kit I guess :thumbsup:

You should ask Wolfpack Design, for example: I have their F/A-18E/F Flap down set for Hasegawa 1/72 (box WP72008) and it doesn't take a CSI analyst to see that it is exactly the Hasegawa wing with flaps removed and molded separately and slats removed and re-attached in the angled position.

Even the mounting tabs to the fuselage and for the wingtip Sidewiders are left untouched.

If they have not been sued by Hasegawa.....

Cheers

Davide

I call BS and say that you are just photoshopping the real thing to make it look like you actually did it. WOW Guy, that looks so real. You know what would have made that update better?? Im sure you didnt because its a propietary secret, but if you would have, or if you still could show us feeble builders how to do that you would make alot of our days. BTW, with all this beautiful work you are doing on these pylons will you actually have an AIM-54 attached! Thanks for showing this beautiful work!

Hi Infideon and Anders, thanks guys, so glad you like it :coolio:

tn_Phoenixpylon024.jpg

Cheers.

:P

Guy, I think that's looking spot-on! Very nice weathering indeed!

B)

Marcel

In one of your posts above you were debating about adding more weathering. My suggestion would be to wait until the bird is mostly together, then weather the areas that look anemic, and perhaps tone down some that look over the top.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, good to see you. Thanks for dropping by and adding your kind words

That sounds like a plan. I think I'll follow your advice and see how things look later in the build. I've saved some cracking photos showing beaten up and heavily soiled ( :blink: ) birds so keeping in mind your comments, I'd like everything to be equally and consistently rough looking........ ^_^

You should ask Wolfpack Design, for example:

Cheers

Davide

Hi Davide, thanks for the suggestion. I think I'd probably only approach a resin manufacturer if I considered that the master was good enough for resale. At this moment in time I'm not convinced that there is much of a market for an unarmed pylon. What are your thoughts?
You know what would have made that update better?? ....... if you would have, or if you still could show us how to do that

.......... BTW, ..............will you actually have an AIM-54 attached!

Hello Jeremy, thanks for the suggestion. I apologise for missing that step. I should have posted one or two images as I went but in truth, I was having so much fun I got carried away and the thing was built before I realised. :rolleyes:

I'll try to take my time and add more info in future. In answer to your question, no, there will be no AIM-54 on this bird. I'm not sure whether to add any armament on this occasion. There will definately be an AN/AAQ-25 targeting pod (more of that in a minute) but I can't decide if I should add anything else. The pictures of the Checkmates jets that I'm using as inspiration show the birds clean. I'll have to choose later in the build.

Guy, I think that's looking spot-on! Very nice weathering indeed!

Marcel

Hi Marcel, thanks for that. In fact, I used your F-18 amongst others as my guide. I have my fingers crossed that I can recreate the effect that you nailed on that build :worship:
that's great looking Guy - you spend more time on attention to small details like that, than I probably do on an entire model
Hello Ken, great to see you.

Judging by how your terrific models turn out I doubt that I do but I can see what you mean. I'll let you into a secret, it's my way of eking out the modeling budget. If I spend lots of time on all of the little stuff I can stretch a build out for ages so I don't have to buy anything else........(if I was rolling in it, I'd probably build loads of models straight out of the box.....) :lol:

Thankyou to everyone, your enthusiastic words of support and encouragement are very much appreciated.

Ok, another quick update. With work started on the LANTIRN pylon it would be rude to ignore the actual targeting pod.

Here are the components that make up the pod.

tn_LANTIRNpod008.jpg

This looks good if assembled straight from the sprues but there are one or two little things that can be done to enhance the finished article.

In keeping with usual practice I intend to depict the optics stowed. The only bit of glazing visible is a portion of the Laser window but that did n't stop me adding some extra detail.

Start by hollowing out the window opening.

tn_LANTIRNpod009.jpg

By a happy coincidence, the window is just the same size as this hole punch. That will come in handy later when I add the glazing.

The next step is to create the Laser optics from a tube of plastic and two discs of irridescent confetti. (Glue this in a position that would look along the centre line of the pod with the optics deployed. )

tn_LANTIRNpod010.jpg

tn_LANTIRNpod013.jpg

With the optics finished the head can be assembled and painted in readiness for inclusion into the body of the pod.

tn_LANTIRNpod016.jpg

The main body of the pod can be accessorized too. A tiny vane nesteled into the air intake is a reasonable start...

tn_LANTIRNpod019.jpg

Another addition comes by way of some metal mesh (this is from the Eduard Su-27 intake fod guard...) to make the lower exhaust vent. The hole punch can be used to create a disc of mesh which is then rolled slightly to match the curvature of the pod body.

tn_LANTIRNpod022.jpg

This replaces the solid plastic disc offered by Tamiya.

More soon........

Edited by geedubelyer

Here's the state of play at the moment.

tn_LANTIRNpod030.jpg

All shiny and pristeen........except for one panel

tn_LANTIRNpod024.jpg

A little salt weathering gives a neat blotchy effect to the paintwork.

tn_LANTIRNpod023.jpg

I took the time to scribe these slots between the pod and its' adaptor.

tn_LANTIRNpod028.jpg

A wash will bring them to life once the adaptor is painted.

The large rectangular exhaust at the rear of the pod is nicely rendered.

tn_LANTIRNpod029.jpg

The pattern of the mesh differs from the smaller circular exhaust that I pictured earlier. The circular mesh has holes arranged in a square grid pattern, the mesh covering this rectangular vent has a honeycomb look.

I have had my eyes peeled for a suitable mesh ever since I built the last LANTIRN pod way back on my F-15E.

At last I spotted something I thought might do the job.

tn_LANTIRNpod001.jpg

This is what I needed this etch set for....

tn_LANTIRNpod002.jpg

I'll cut out a rectangle to fit the opening once the vanes in the exhaust are finished.

The next steps are detail painting, decaling and weathering. I know that many of the Tomcat AN/AAQ-25s have large numbers on the intake side but the three Checkmate birds that I have photos of are all blank. Time to pick out a few rivets and add some grime B)

That's all for this weekend. Thanks for taking the time to stop by and have a look.

Cheers,

:whistle:

Judging by how your terrific models turn out I doubt that I do but I can see what you mean. I'll let you into a secret, it's my way of eking out the modeling budget. If I spend lots of time on all of the little stuff I can stretch a build out for ages so I don't have to buy anything else..

thanks Guy, and that's pretty smart thinking

excellent work on the pod!

Hello Guy,

Just chiming in to say great build. You're at the stage now where I'd get tempted to get lax on the detailing (pylons are horrible to build aren't they?) but I feel it's these less glamorous areas that really separates your builds from others. Keep it up d00d.

Wow! Awesome pod! Quick question about the salt weathering. When you apply the salt on the pod, do you actually leave the salt lying for a moment before washing it away or do you just briefly rub the salt on the pod?

Keep up the good modelling! :cop:

Here's the state of play at the moment.

tn_LANTIRNpod030.jpg

geedubelyer,

I have been watching your build for sometime now. It is one exceptional Tomcat build you have go going on. Your work and attention to detail is fantastic.

I have been working on picking up the fine details on the Tomcat as well on my last few HAS Tomcats. Here is a small detail you may want to consider. It would be a nice touch to the LANTIRN you have going on now. On my 1/48 builds I have been adding the two power and data lines that run out the bottom of the pylon and into the LANTIRN. The two cables plug into the LANTIRN just aft of the adaptor where it attaches to the pylon. It is a nice detail that shows up well on my 1/48 builds and on a 1/32 Tomcat it would be a nice additon if you wanted to add it.

Again, just a suggestion. I don't want to take away or dimish the level of detail and accuracy you have now.

Anyway, here are some images to show you what I'm talking about.

Rhinolover

lantirn.jpg

lantirn2.jpg

Here is my 1/48 LANTIRN. You could probably get alot more than me in that little area.

DSC_1283-1-1.jpg

Edited by Rhinolover

Greetings folk,

I'm back again with another short update.

Hi Ken, glad you like the pod up to now, thanks for your kind words.

Howdy Gerry, appreciate the info. I'm glad you said that because I like the look of slightly mis-matched items. The subtle difference in shade sometimes adds a touch of life to an area of a build. Little details like that are often overlooked by the viewer but the subconscious logs it and relates that to realism (well, that's my theory anyway..... :worship:)

Hello Jake, how are things? Good to see you and thanks for your generous words. Somehow I can't imagine you skimping on any detail, not after seeing all of that fastidious work behind the seat on your Harrier ;)

For some unknown reason I'm actually enjoying working on these pylons. I can't explain it 'cos usually I feel the same as you but so far, I've had a blast on these bad boys. Think I'll run with it as long as it lasts........ :worship:

........ Quick question about the salt weathering. When you apply the salt on the pod, do you actually leave the salt lying for a moment before washing it away or do you just briefly rub the salt on the pod?

Keep up the good modelling!

Hi Qian, thankyou and in answer to your question, I left the salt on the paint only long enough for it to dry.

I moistened the surface of the pod with a light mist of sprayed water then crushed up some rock salt from a grinder and sprinkled the granules onto the surface. After a minute or two under the heat of a desk lamp the salt is dry enough to stay put when sprayed with the second colour of paint. I left the second colour to dry to the touch and then brushed away the salt particles with a soft brush. I'm using acrylic paint and this technique worked for me. One thing to remember is that the salt solution is likely to stain the paint surface so only use it where you wish the appearance to look weathered. ;)

HTH

Hi mareku, Jeremy, many thanks. I appreciate your support and encouragement.

Hello Hugo, good to see you, it's always better late than never so welcome aboard. I'm glad you like the show so far and hope you'll stop by from time to time to see how things develop (you see what I did there? I used a photography reference knowing that you're a photographer... ^_^ )

Hi Rhinolover , that's a neat idea, thanks for pointing it out. I agree, now that I've opened up the bck of the pylon, a couple of wires and connectors attached to the pod will look great. I'll give it a go, thanks again.

Today I concentrated on some more paintwork and other details. I still have to add some pastel weathering to the pod and tinker with the colour of the fasteners, picking some out in dark or lighter shades.

I noticed in the photo that Rhinolover posted above that there is quite a bit of touch up on the pylon. I was n't going to paint any touch up on the pylon, do you guy think I should?

So, this is what it looks like now.

tn_LANTIRNpod032.jpg

tn_LANTIRNpod036.jpg

Stencil data on the pod is Fightertown Decals decals

The heat exhaust grilles on the back end of the pylon differ from on another...

tn_LANTIRNpod035.jpg

tn_LANTIRNpod034.jpg

I'm pleased with how the honeycomb mesh turned out and although the camera has failed to pick out the internal detail, it is visible to the eye. I thinned the rear edge of the kit pylon too. It's probably not that noticable but it does look slightly better now.

Last up for today, a closer look at the stowed head of the pod showing some paint chips and weathering.

tn_LANTIRNpod038.jpg

See you next time guys.

Cheers,