Tamiya /32nd scale F-14A Black Knights edition

Guy, this is Frickin NUTS!!!!!!! Thanks for giving us something to really enjoy, instead of just blowing through this build like I do, thanks again!

Hi everyone.

Many thanks Chris, glad you've got a bit of foil kicking around. It comes in very useful in lots of situations.

The pieces I've used for the feathers are pretty stiff. It's quite thick stuff and since it'll only bridge a couple of mm it should be strong enough. It won't need to take any load but I'll leave it until much later in the build before I attach it to avoid any risk of damage.

richter111, Mike, mareku and JMan thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you are enjoying the progress.

Hello Alexander, cheers my friend. Not much to show but here is a little progress on the nose gear leg etc.

Picking up where I left off last time, I took a long hard look at the retraction ram and its' associated gear door. I checked the kit part against refs and decided that the thickness of the door was probably too thick. It was a simple job to glue a rectangle of plasticard to some wine bottle foil (again! :bandhead2:) to give a thinner appearance. I also used a strip of foil as a fastener around the ram where the door attaches. It's worth noting that the topmost part is narrower than the bulk of the door

tn_F-14nosegear080.jpg

(This is still in primer with the red yet to be added)

Two items that catch my eye on a Tomcats' nose gear leg are the landing light mounted high up on the leg and the indexer light box just below it. Originally I'd envisaged using the lovely Eduard etched part but discovered that it was off dimensionally! :( It's too narrow and too long.

tn_F-14nosegear087.jpg

My only alternative was to scratch build the front of the box by punching out three holes in a rectangle of plasticard, adding rivet detail then fitting three clear circles of acetate tinted with Humbrol clear colours.

For the light, I drilled out the kit clear part leaving enough room for a dish of chrome coloured foil. I used a tiny blob of stretched clear sprue for the bulb.

That was covered by a disc of clear acetate (which I can see from these pics is scratched :doh: ) and the Eduard part was fixed to the very front.

tn_F-14nosegear082.jpg

Here's another shot showing t'other side.

tn_F-14nosegear089.jpg

I've begun to add some of the mechanism beneath the indexer box. This joins with the launch bar retraction linkage on the left hand side of the leg but I'm trying to find out one or two small details before I can proceed.

I'll post more soon.

Cheers everyone and thank you for your continuing support and interest :worship:

:cheers:

Edited by geedubelyer

Wow! Guy, great progress on the leg. That light look stunning! I think no need to glooming about the scratches on the glass, they add more realism to the look. :deadhorse1:

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander.

:deadhorse1:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Geedubelyer,

I've just spent two days reading through this fascinating thread (much to the annoyance of "The Enemy" who can't understand why I'm behind with my chores) and I wanted to add my admiration of your skills to those already expressed - this is just adding to the growing desire within me to wield the glue and brush again. You certainly stand shoulder to shoulder with the other inspirational builders on this site. Thank you for the explantions of your techniques - much appreciated.

Have fun.

Obant :worship:

• 1 month later...

I'm out of superlatives, Guy. I've been MIA around here for a while so I haven't seen your updates for quite some time. I just now went back and read your progress and I'm just floored. This is my favorite model of yours yet, and I really, really liked your earlier models!

Looking forward to seeing this thing come together!

Jake

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys,

Many thanks for your continuing interest in the Tomcat.

My apologies for the delay in updating this thread but I have been struck down by a bout of Ootbitis........ :whistle:

I contracted it about two months ago so work on the F-14 came to a halt. Thankfully, the episode was n't serious and I'm almost over it so as soon as my contribution to the Sabre/SuperSabre group build is complete I'll be back on this horse.

Take care and I'll see you all soon. :jaw-dropping:

:D

:coolio:

My apologies for the delay in updating this thread but I have been struck down by a bout of Ootbitis........

I contracted it about two months ago so work on the F-14 came to a halt. Thankfully, the episode was n't serious and I'm almost over it so as soon as my contribution to the Sabre/SuperSabre group build is complete I'll be back on this horse.

Oh sure... you rag on me for working on other things besides the Trimotor and look what you do... you do the very same thing. :thumbsup:

I have a hard time believing you can build anything out of the box Guy. You must have added a widget or a gizmo someplace.

Looking forward to seeing more work on this one.

Cheers

Mike

• 2 months later...

Yeah, what he said...^

What'd a brother gota do round here to see some updates? lol

Guy, super job on the nose gear man. You are setting up a whole new level and standard for plastic modeling. I love it. Keep up the good work.

Mike

Jinkies!! :cheers:

When was the last time I touched this Turkey.....?............................May 10th? ...............Nah, that can't be right...... :wub:

Oh my! How time flies when you're having fun :D

Firstly, my sincere apologies to everyone for keeping you waiting and heartfelt thanks to those of you who kept a light on for me :)

I promise to try to be more disciplined in the future and crack on with this project.

As it is, I'm easing myself back in to the build gently. It took ages to fathom out where I'd got to. There are sub-assemblies and pieces of this kit dotted all over the place so remembering what I intended to do next has been quite a feat.

Anyhoo, I think I'm back up to speed now so I can continue with updates as soon as I have anything to show.

Here's a teeny tiny bit of progress to whet your appetites......

tn_F-14nosegear090.jpg

I've added the cylinder to the side of the nose gear leg along with a few other details. The ram assembly and raised flap will be joined eventually by a short piston. The mounting brackets are additional to the cylinder plus I've lopped off the top in preperation for adding some pipes and doo-hickeys later on.......

Once again, many thanks for keeping this thread alive, I appreciate all of the encouragement and support.

See you soon.......

:doh: