Tamiya /32nd scale F-14A Black Knights edition

Hi Anders, I suspected you might have been enjoying an armour build or two which is perhaps why we had n't seen any Tomcat updates. I hope you find a little time to get back to the Cats at some point. I'd very much like to see how you tackle the paintwork. That is something I'm eager to see.

Hi Steve, glad you like things thus far. Thanks for the kind words.

Hi Guy, I just finished reading all 44 pages ..........

Ken

Hi Ken, I admire your stamina and fortitude my friend. :o I'm thrilled that you are enjoying the build and glad that some of my ideas might be helpful. You deserve a medal for wading through this thread, well done. :D

Hello Qian, How are you? It's good to see you again, Thanks for your kind comments.

Hi Gianni and Marek, thanks for stopping by. Your kind words of encouragement are much appreciated, cheers. :beer4:

I've been studying reference photos of Tomcats in an attempt to decipher how dirty they get and where the grime accumulates. I've decided that the nose of the aircraft is generally cleaner than the tail which makes sense since most of the dirt would naturally find it's way aft in the airstream. For the nose I've intentionally kept the weathering subtle at this stage. The exception is the area around the boarding steps which often becomes heavily soiled.

Here are a couple of images of the first pass.

tn_F-14nosesection080.jpg

tn_F-14nosesection065.jpg

I'm using chalk pastel powder applied with a stipple brush and manipulated with a moist Q-tip. This technique allows me to move the pastel powder around easily and create "sagging".

In the images below you might see the effect along the cammo demarcation line...

tn_F-14nosesection077.jpg

tn_F-14nosesection075.jpg

One feature that readily identifies a navy bird over an airforce bird is the corrosion prevention touch-ups. Again, there appears to be a need for more at the rear of the airframe so I managed a little restraint (so far ;) )

The right hand side of the nose sports a number of access panels that are regularly opened by ground crew. The edges and fasteners of these panels get dirty through regular contact and often require the spot touch-ups.

tn_F-14nosesection072.jpg

My version can be seen on the panel just forward of the star and bars.

If anyone has any thoughts on how things look so far I'd welcome any criticism or advice.

At this point it would probably be best to set this aside and wait until the next sub-assembly is complete so that I can balance the finish. I think I'll drop the seats and RIO coaming into the nose and balance the canopy in place before slipping the nose into my display cabinet to keep it all dust free.

Now I must return to the port main gear well which still requires plumbing and the intake bypass.

I need to get my thinking cap on. Wish me luck.......

Cheers,

:cheers:

Edited by geedubelyer

Your work is just incredible!!!! It is what I am aspiring to do!.

Ditto that- and then some. Your work really does make me smile Guy, because your models prove just how far in this hobby we can go in the future if we keep at it and follow some of your leads. :thumbsup:

Now some suggestions, for what they are worth. Having reviewed a zillion F-14 pics for my own builds, I'd say that your dirt on the port side is PERFECT!! and I wouldn't alter anything, other than to maybe to get a bit more soot left of the pilot's step and a bit right of the RIO's. Not much, because the dirt does take on a triangular shape as you've done already, but I think it looks a bit too clean in these areas due to boot marks. One other small thing might be to add some soot to the gun muzzle, just to make it look a bit used, but not like the gun was fired every day for a month.

For the starboard side, I would add just a tiny bit more soot around the refueling door. They are always playing around with the refueling door on the ground for some reason, so the outline of this door is often a bit dirty.

You are very correct in leaving the nose cone area fairly clean. For some reason it just doesn't get dirty like the rest of the jet.

Edited by chuck540z3

Hey Guy,

The front fuse weathering looks great and I'm sure there will be more weathering by the time you're through :thumbsup::woot.gif: Thanks for the "sneak peek" at what the finished product will be someday. I wish I would have noticed your index on the first page <_< it would have been great if I would have noticed it 4 months ago.... but surely I will be using the index plenty on a future Tomcat build :D

/Jesse

Hi Guy,

Great job you're doing there and very inspirational. That nose section is really coming along and looking great. I'm a little curious about something though. Do you plan on adding a wash to the panel lines? The reason I ask is because it looks as though you haven't yet (obviously) yet it still looks great. Another reason Is you're adding pastel weathering to the model and I presume you have sprayed a flat coat already and most people will add a wash during the gloss stage.

I personally am not a 32nd scale enthusiast but i have seen plenty of 48th scale models with panel line washes that are sometimes overdone(too dark)and they end up with the (graph) effect. Now in most cases with 48th scale, a wash is necessary to bring out the detail of the panel lines since they are so small. I'm curious though if you follow the same practice for 32nd scale as the panel lines are generally much larger and easier to see with the naked eye. From my Naval Aviation days to my current employment working on fighter jets, I can comfortably say that I've seen hundreds if not thousands of a/c and "panel lines" and can guarantee you that even on the real thing, some panel lines are barely visible. There is a spec that covers gap requirements for panels be it access, covers, skin, doors and whatever other panels might exist and the requirements are all different with access panels and doors usually having the larger gaps. This of course makes you wonder just how much you have to accentuate panel lines in the larger scales. Anyway, sorry to be so drawn out but I'm just wondering.

Hello guys,

Gary, Sid you guys have made my day, thank you. If there is even one thing in this build that you can take away then I'm very happy indeed.

Now some suggestions, for what they are worth...... maybe to get a bit more soot left of the pilot's step and a bit right of the RIO's.

One other small thing might be to add some soot to the gun muzzle, just to make it look a bit used, but not like the gun was fired every day for a month.

For the starboard side, I would add just a tiny bit more soot around the refueling door. They are always playing around with the refueling door on the ground for some reason, so the outline of this door is often a bit dirty.

Hi Chuck, glad you like things so far and I'm grateful for your advice. I'll definately take another look when I assemble the whole airframe, thanks again.

Hi Maker, very pleased that you like the build. Thanks for taking the time to add your kind words.

Hi Jesse, glad you found the index (now with clickable links ;) ).

I look forward to enjoying your next Tomcat as much as I'm enjoying your current one. :)

Hi Guy,

I'm a little curious about something though. Do you plan on adding a wash to the panel lines? The reason I ask is because it looks as though you haven't yet (obviously) yet it still looks great. Another reason Is you're adding pastel weathering to the model and I presume you have sprayed a flat coat already and most people will add a wash during the gloss stage. I personally am not a 32nd scale enthusiast but i have seen plenty of 48th scale models with panel line washes that are sometimes overdone(too dark)and they end up with the (graph) effect. Now in most cases with 48th scale, a wash is necessary to bring out the detail of the panel lines since they are so small. I'm curious though if you follow the same practice for 32nd scale as the panel lines are generally much larger and easier to see with the naked eye. From my Naval Aviation days to my current employment working on fighter jets, I can comfortably say that I've seen hundreds if not thousands of a/c and "panel lines" and can guarantee you that even on the real thing, some panel lines are barely visible. There is a spec that covers gap requirements for panels be it access, covers, skin, doors and whatever other panels might exist and the requirements are all different with access panels and doors usually having the larger gaps. This of course makes you wonder just how much you have to accentuate panel lines in the larger scales. Anyway, sorry to be so drawn out but I'm just wondering.

Hi Wardog, thanks for the kind words. It's always good to hear from guys with real life experience so thanks for stopping by. You've raised an interesting point.

Personally I tend to support your observations and try to be selective with my panel line washes. Unlike many modellers I prefer to keep panel line washes limited to selected (probably those that are regularly opened) panels rather than the whole airframe. I feel that an overall panel line wash is more of an artistic finish but can sometimes give a less realistic appearance than I hope to achieve. I'm not knocking it, it's just not a technique I favour all of the time. It makes for some very attractive models but not necessarily the most authentic.

I've even filled in kit panel lines in the past because I felt they were too prominent when compared to images of the full sized airframe. It's my ambition to make a realistic looking model that I can enjoy in my display cabinet.

Here are a couple of examples to date. I'd love to hear your thoughts on them if you have the time. (All 1/32nd scale)

F-15E

Su-27

F-16CJ

Hawk T-1A

I hope you enjoy them. ^_^

Here's a snap of the nose section with the seats in place and the canopy attached temporarily safely ensconced in my cabinet for the time being.

tn_F-14nosesection084.jpg

This is intended to inspire me to work harder to get the main fuselage and intakes finished ASAP. :rolleyes:

Cheers for now.

Well, if you somehow flunk the rest of the kit (highly unlikely, but..) you got a splendid model right there, representing the nose section of a Tomcat..

Outstanding work, and I am not too ashamed to confess that I "stole" a bit from your build when I started in my own Tomcat. If one should steal, steal from the best my mother always said...

well, she didn´t say that but anyway.. :-)

/E

Hello guys,

Gary, Sid you guys have made my day, thank you. If there is even one thing in this build that you can take away then I'm very happy indeed.

Hi Chuck, glad you like things so far and I'm grateful for your advice. I'll definately take another look when I assemble the whole airframe, thanks again.

Hi Maker, very pleased that you like the build. Thanks for taking the time to add your kind words.

Hi Jesse, glad you found the index (now with clickable links ;) ).

I look forward to enjoying your next Tomcat as much as I'm enjoying your current one. :)

Hi Wardog, thanks for the kind words. It's always good to hear from guys with real life experience so thanks for stopping by. You've raised an interesting point.

Personally I tend to support your observations and try to be selective with my panel line washes. Unlike many modellers I prefer to keep panel line washes limited to selected (probably those that are regularly opened) panels rather than the whole airframe. I feel that an overall panel line wash is more of an artistic finish but can sometimes give a less realistic appearance than I hope to achieve. I'm not knocking it, it's just not a technique I favour all of the time. It makes for some very attractive models but not necessarily the most authentic.

I've even filled in kit panel lines in the past because I felt they were too prominent when compared to images of the full sized airframe. It's my ambition to make a realistic looking model that I can enjoy in my display cabinet.

Here are a couple of examples to date. I'd love to hear your thoughts on them if you have the time. (All 1/32nd scale)

F-15E

Su-27

F-16CJ

Hawk T-1A

I hope you enjoy them. ^_^

Here's a snap of the nose section with the seats in place and the canopy attached temporarily safely ensconced in my cabinet for the time being.

tn_F-14nosesection084.jpg

This is intended to inspire me to work harder to get the main fuselage and intakes finished ASAP. :rolleyes:

Cheers for now.

Guy,

I couldn't agree with your response more, my sentiments "EXACTLY". When it comes to weathering our models, I think we all come to the point where we must decide between accuracy or what we personally feel looks better. In the end, what matters is that you're happy with the end result, accurate............or not. As stated earlier, some panels are barely visible even on real aircraft and I'm almost willing to bet that if we were to scale down a real size panel line to either 32nd or 48th scale, they would probably be too small to be seen. Regardless, they are still necessary on models as they would look odd without them. In fact, when talking about panel line washes, I can't remember ever seeing a real aircraft where every panel is visible the way we typically try and reproduce on our models. The opposite is actually quite the norm. The trick is of course, just the right amount of weathering for the scale you're working with to make everything look right.

I took a look at your other examples and i must say they look extremely good and convincing of the real thing. I also noticed that you hardly used panel line washes on most of your subjects yet the panel lines are still clearly visible. My personal feeling is that your weathering effects are spot-on. keep up the great work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ken, I admire your stamina and fortitude my friend. :o I'm thrilled that you are enjoying the build and glad that some of my ideas might be helpful. You deserve a medal for wading through this thread, well done. :D

:P A medal for wading through this thread ?, If not for your awesome builds and taking the time to share your tips and tutorials, I would have skipped those pages, I believe, it's guys like you, that deserve those medals. :worship: :worship: :worship::thumbsup::cheers:

PS, I am ready for an update, dear friend :P :thumbsup:

Edited by Rdrunner
  • 4 months later...

Hello Guy, trust you are well and the no progress with your magnificent Tomcat is due to other (modelling) distractions.

Just seen your completed Red Arrows Hawk; it is a truly fabulous tribute. Could not believe the completion date shown! I am getting old.

Best Wishes for Xmas and Happy New Year.

John.

Hi guys,

I must apologise for not bringing you any updates on this project. I confess I've got sidetracked but rest assured, she's still on the build pile and not shelved for good.

Hello Guy, trust you are well and the no progress with your magnificent Tomcat is due to other (modelling) distractions.

Just seen your completed Red Arrows Hawk; it is a truly fabulous tribute. Could not believe the completion date shown! I am getting old.

Best Wishes for Xmas and Happy New Year.

John.

Hi John, many thanks for your kind words my friend and a very Happy Christmas to you too.

We all are :coolio: (getting older I mean)

I have been modelling but not as we know it. In fact, I got involved with a GB here on ARC which is to blame. I built the first model I ever built when I was a kid and got bitten by a bug. This in turn led to a spell on 1/72nd scale Airfix kits which I'm thoroughly enjoying.

The latest "new tool" offerings by Airfix are super. Funnily enough I've just completed a Harrier GR7 as a kind of practice exercise for a possible large scale build in the future. I'm taking copious notes from your build so I'm keen to see what you do next. I think I'm almost at the end of my current small scale phase so expect updates on this puppy in the new year.

Thanks for your continuing interest and support.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

Hi Guy,

Thanks to you and John for resurrecting this thread and Merry Christmas to both of you in the UK. You guys are still my "modeling idols" who push me to try harder. Who knows?- I may make it to the UK eventually and I'd love to look you both up. In the meantime, if you are ever in western Canada, I can definitely show you guys some sights you will love. Take care and give me a PM if you're ever in my neck of the Canadian woods.

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Finally I see a more up-to-date update, Thank you; your magnificence...well what else would one call a down to earth; living among us, honest to goodness modeling god, and before you deny it Guy, just remember there are those here who know you. The way you build and then photograph the build, you add a realism sought by many attained by but a very few. I will wait, not too patiently for the grand finale, they way you did the photography on the Eagle, Flanker and Hawk...this Tomcat is going to be just simply OH WOW!!!!. When I grow up I want to do builds just like you :woot.gif::rolleyes::whistle: .

Hi Clif and Marek, thanks for the kind comments guys, very glad you like things so far.

Hi Chuck, it's a little indulgent but I wanted to feel that I was making some progress after the intricate and minute detail work of the gear bay. Once finished this cockpit assembly will sit in the display cabinet awaiting the completion of the fuselage. At least I will have something to stare at for a while.

After a spot coat of Valejo acrylic Gloss varnish I applied the decals to the nose section.

tn_F-14nosesection028.jpg

tn_F-14nosesection030.jpg

One or two thoughts about the Fightertown decals as an FYI for anyone considering them.

First, some good news. They apply beautifully. They are thin yet tough and stick like s*** to a blanket. Be sure to get them in the correct position before you smooth them down. Once in place, they are permanent.

Now, some not quite so good news :unsure:/> At the risk of causing some consternation across the boards I have to reluctantly question the accuracy of the decal placement in one or two cases and the size of a couple of the decals. :(/>

Let me state that I am no expert on Tomcats or VF-211 so my concerns may be unjustified. However, comparing the decal instructions with references highlights possible discrepancies. In particular, the placement of one of the data panels and the rescue arrow on the starboard side. The instructions tell the modeller to place the rescue arrow facing forward but this would mean the word "RESCUE" appearing upside down. :hmmm:/> When the arrow is placed as per reference material the decal reads correctly so no problem when all is said and done. The stencilled data panel beneath the arrow and canopy jettison placard is another matter though. The instructions suggest placing this data panel immeadiately beneath the aft slime light and in front of the canopy jettison placard. Is this correct? All the images I could find of Checkmate jets (and those of other squadrons too) place the larger stencil data panel below the canopy jettison stencil. :huh:/> As I mentioned, I am no expert so it's quite possible that Nickel#103 did have this stencil placard placed as per the instructions but I'd like to draw attention to the possibility that there is an error on the instruction sheet. -_-/>

Another thing that I'd like to mention is that many of the decals appear oversized when compared to reference photos of the real jets. This is not intended as a slam on Fightertown decals. Without conclusive evidence I cannot state that they definately are too big but what I can say is that it is difficult to get the decals to match reference material accurately. I hope I don't come off as being critical of the product. That is not my intent. What I hope I've done is raise awareness of possible issues so that others can make an informed choice.

Finally, here's a quick snap of the TCS.

tn_F-14nosesection032.jpg

The next stage is a matt coat and then some weathering :coolio:/>

Cheers.

:cheers:/>

*Edit

I've just noticed that the image I linked to earlier of "Nickel#104" shows the rescue arrow in the position that Fightertown show it on the instructions.

For a true, and accurate representation, smear some black around the seams on the TCS, seeing as how they always had the tendency to smear it on the real thing too. lol.

Hey guys, sorry for the late response. Belated Christmas wishes to you all

Clif, Mike, thanks for the kind words gents. I'm resolving to get back to this bird in 2013 so watch this space for updates.

Hi Guy,

I may make it to the UK eventually and I'd love to look you both up. In the meantime, if you are ever in western Canada, I can definitely show you guys some sights you will love. Take care and give me a PM if you're ever in my neck of the Canadian woods.

Chuck

Hi Chuck, I hope you had a super time at Christmas and look forward to more from your P-51 build soon. Lovely stuff as usual buddy.

It would be great to see you if you get to these shores and if it was in mid-November you could tie your visit in with the UK nats too.... :whistle:

Rest assured, if I ever get over to western Canada I'll be sure to look you up and buy you a beer (or two).

For a true, and accurate representation, smear some black around the seams on the TCS, seeing as how they always had the tendency to smear it on the real thing too. lol.

Yes, I've seen what you describe scapilot and I'll be looking into it when I get to the weathering stage proper. So far , this represents just the first pass so to speak. Once the airframe is assembled I'll get a better idea of how much further to go. Thanks for the suggestion.

Have a very Happy New Year everyone and enjoy your modelling to the full.

Cheers.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

I've gone thru all the pages of the amazing build so far and I am blown away at the level of details added. Your skills are superb and your mind is clever. I'm very much looking forward to seeing more of this when you get back at it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to throw my 1/18th scale Tomcat in the trash.

Steve