Tamiya /32nd scale F-14A Black Knights edition

Hi folks,

rom, HOLMES, Marcel111, Alexander and Remy

it's good to see you all here.

Thanks for the encouraging remarks as they always give me a boost.

Remy, I'm glad that you like the results and plan to use the technique on your 'Cat. Thanks must go to Erick Swanberg as I snaffled the trick from him...... :shoot:

Hey Rom, how's your build progressing? I hope school won't slow things down too much. I'm looking forward to seeing how the gear looks.... :lol:

Well gang, I thought I'd share a few pics of the finished jet nozzles. These are the final plan B versions. I'll continue working on the plan C open nozzle in parallel with the remainder of the build.

tn_Finishedjetpipes002.jpg

(Please excuse the plonked on upper fuselage part. It gives a better look than the nozzles alone.)

tn_Finishedjetpipes003.jpg

tn_Finishedjetpipes001.jpg

Placing the completed afterburner tube in position highlighted a small issue...The lower fuselage half does n't follow the profile of the nozzle for its' entire diameter. There is a nub of plastic showing at the rear of the fuselage which might benefit from some work.

Here's an image to show what I mean......

tn_Finishedjetpipes007a.jpg

Additionally, poring over images of the a**e of the jet showed another small possible tweek. The kit has each nacelle joined along it's entire length, all the way back to the nozzles. The full sized bird has space at the end of the beaver tail upto where the engines fit.

I'm considering making a cut along the edge of the beaver tail to give some daylight between the nacelle and beaver tail.

tn_Finishedjetpipes006a.jpg

This ought to join up with the re-finished area mentioned previously. Whether I take the plunge or not depends on how my courage is. :thumbsup:

I'll keep you posted dear viewer..........

:)

:cop:

Edited by geedubelyer

The nozzles are looking good...

Is the lowerr fulselage meant to be like that then?

you say that you need to sand it back to the exhaust so it meets in a streamlined alignment...

Does thta mean that there was a'fault' on the model when they constrcuted it or is that one of your

own little foibles that you want to make ot look good and streamlined to give that

a symmetrical look when you look at it from behind?

HOLMES.

Guy

I know you...you are going to make the cut. If you don't, it's going to be like the vent on your F-15E. It's going to bug you till you do something about it. Might as well get it done now before you get too far into it.

I really like the nozzles so far. They truely are a work of art, as is all of your stuff. Keep up the great work.

Aaron

The nozzles look amazing so far... I admire your patience and attention to the smallest details.

Somehow I think a lot of people will be 'borrowing' your new ideas and techniques in the future for their own Cat builds!

Good luck,

Tom

Edited by blackhawk7
The nozzles are looking good...

Is the lowerr fulselage meant to be like that then?

you say that you need to sand it back to the exhaust so it meets in a streamlined alignment...

Does thta mean that there was a'fault' on the model when they constrcuted it or is that one of your

own little foibles that you want to make ot look good and streamlined to give that

a symmetrical look when you look at it from behind?

HOLMES.

Hi HOLMES, thanks for the kind words. I had a look in the walkarounds here on ARC to try to illustrate what the lower fuselage should look like.

If YOu look here YOu might see that the fuselage wraps around the engine. The nacelle is basically a hollow tube in which the engine sits.

Due to molding constraints Tamiya have opted to make the wall of the lower fuselage vertical rather than rounded which results in the unsightly and inaccurate area. Here is another view. If YOu compare this to the images of the model i hope the difference will be apparent......? :whistle:

Excellent work on those nozzles! :)

Thanks for the detailed description of your progress. I have just now started a Tamiya Tomcat and I am following your build to get both inspiration as well as pointers to areas on the kit that can be improved.

Cheers,

Anders

The nozzles look amazing so far... I admire your patience and attention to the smallest details.

Somehow I think a lot of people will be 'borrowing' your new ideas and techniques in the future for their own Cat builds!

Good luck,

Tom

Hi Anders and Tom, I'm so happy to hear that you can take something away from this build. This is one of the best things about forums like ARC, the gleaning of knowledge and techniques. I have learnt so much from many of the other members here and on other sites I'm happy to pass on anything I can. :wave:

Guy

I know you...you are going to make the cut. If you don't, it's going to be like the vent on your F-15E. It's going to bug you till you do something about it. Might as well get it done now before you get too far into it.

Aaron

Ha, ha,........ :lol: You know me too well Aaron! yes, I think you are correct. I quickly got over the "should I/should n't I" conundrum and swiftly moved onto the "how could I/can I" topic....

I'll keep you posted on what happens.

Back with more news as soon as I can.......

;)

Thanks HOLMES, glad YOU like it.

I've managed to finish up one of the afterburner flameholder rings. Here are a sequence of pics showing how it'll look.....

see you all next time i hope.....

:doh:

Great work Guy - you really help us understand how you did something by showing the steps and tools/materials used

Thanks Ken, I'm pleased it helps. I know I learn so much from reading similar threads so I try to remember to take pics when I can. (I don't always remember though...... :doh: ....)

And thanks too Tomcat27, much appreciated.

Well Aaron, you were right, I could n't leave well alone. :P .

I took the plunge this evening and cut up the upper beaver tail.......here's the result:

tn_TPCBeavertail002.jpg

This little modification will have ramifications further down the line. The gap between the upper and lower halves is now much bigger and will take alot of rectification. ;)

I've begun to glue laminations of plasticard inside the lower engine trunking to help out for when I sand them back. I may have shot the fox this time.......(~gulp~)

To take my mind off the nacelles and to let the glue dry I turned my attention to the chin pod and TCS.

Here are some pics of my first attempt.

tn_TPCBeavertail003.jpg

tn_TPCBeavertail004.jpg

tn_TPCBeavertail005.jpg

I'm quite pleased with things so far. There will be a lens at the front of the pod but I have n't decided whether to use irridescent confetti or plain clear plastic sheet. In some pics on the interweb there is a definate green tinge to the lens whereas many seem totally colourless. I suspect that the original full sized item was treated with a scratch resistant optical coating giving the irridescent effect. This will be a case of trial and error. I'll take a snap with each one in place and then see what looks best.

Cheers,

:D

Edited by geedubelyer

I know little at the moment about modeling and even less about photography, but the knowledge your are sharing here is fantastic.

I've just had a very quick look through the f-15 build you did, you really are an artist. those exhausts are just stunning

As they say at Mc'ds I'm lovin it! :doh:

Yep, the modified work done looks GREAT...so I am sure you will be able to fill in the gaps left as a result

and WE will never know that you had or wanted {or even needed} to modify the Fuselage etc....

With your expertise in th subject you will no doubt be able to clean it up and make it look BRILLIANT as always...

HOLMES. :wave:

Looking fantastic. I love the lens assembly for the TCS. My suggestion is just use clear plastic, maybe give it the slightest bluish tint but definitely skip the iridescent film on the TCS. I never saw any units that had that look. Some had a slight bluish tint but I've never seen a green tint on them...

btw - you may want to consider VF-211 OIF/Last Tomcat cruise markings. Should have them out by the time you're ready to decal...

-brian

hey!

well done!!

what is the the lens you put in the TCS?

As for my big cat... i will go back to it on thursday...this weekend i was skiing in the south french Alps!! that was awesome! :)

bye!

Really cool stuff as always, Guy! I'm always amazed by your innovative approach, and the resourceful solutions you come up with for some tough 'fixes'!

Really nice work on those engines (kitchen foil?), and a great start on the chin pod. VERY inspiring- thanks for sharing more of your incredible stuff. :thumbsup:

:) Rob

P.S. Although it doesn't seem to affect the quality of your work ;) , maybe a small "space heater" would make your work area more "user friendly" - at least here in the U.S., these are available for around $20, and have an adjustable thermostat (so to avoid "desert-like" conditions...). Can't wait to see what's next! :)

Edited by Rraab