Tamiya /32nd scale F-14A Black Knights edition

Utter brilliance, Guy. You are my favorite modeler to watch, and this nose gear well is why. Absolute precision with fantastic craftsmanship, paintwork, and weathering.

jake

Wow, Guy...if I'd known you were going to do all this (and take the time to show it) I wouldn't have bothered buying that Daco Tomcat book...THESE are reference photos!! :woot.gif:

I hope there will be a "dust collecting" mirror under this incredible feat of modelling, but at least you've documented each stage along the way, so that not just *you* "know it's there"!

I'll be watching for this, so as not to miss any more updates (speaking of updates, REALLY great job on your 32nd 'stang build - acrylic BMF? awesoome...).

P.S. I'm stealing the kitchen-foil miniature hose insulation technique. That looks almost TOO real.

:wave::cheers:

- Rob

Well Gee,

This is why i love you work. Its looks the same as the real aircraft only than 32 smaller.

Iam a big fan of your work. Like i sad before, your Flanker is a insperation source for me, well if i ever start to build a Tomcat this buid will be the guidline. Keep up the work, good luck and spirit to your build.

Rogiér

Guy,

Loving your photoshop work here. Taking pics of a real Tomcat well and then cutting off the legs and making the outer surfaces look like plastic... sneaky. At first glance you had me fooled, but once I took a closer look it was clear I was looking at the real thing.

Cheers,

Marcel

• 2 weeks later...

Hello folks, how's everyone doing?

I'm very grateful for the words of encouragement and support. Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to add a comment. The feedback and positive waves are a superb boost when things get tough. :salute:

Hi Jake, considering the huge amount of talent here on ARC and in other forums, that means a whole lot my friend, thankyou. :salute:

The gear bay took alot of work and a long time to complete but I'm pretty satisfied with the end result considering none of it will be visible.....

I hope there will be a "dust collecting" mirror under this ....

P.S.[/i] I'm stealing the kitchen-foil miniature hose insulation technique. That looks almost TOO real.

:wave::cheers:

- Rob

Hey Rob, good idea on the mirror. This wee beastie is destined to stand on a glass shelf so perhaps I'll get lucky and it will reflect some of the detail?

I hope the foil hose insulation works out for you too. I am happy with how it looks under a coat of paint. ^_^

Alexander, twhite, Tom, Mareku, Santtu, Rogier, Steve, Jesse and Maj Walt many thanks for your very kind words guys :thumbsup:

Hi Marcel, you got me.... :P It took ages to Photoshop these bays :D Ha ha, glad you like it my friend.

Hi Chuck, thanks buddy. It's not always easy to see where all of these pipes, wires and hoses go so some "smoke and mirrors" is required. I keep a stash of scrap wiring in various gauges to try to keep things looking as scale as possible.

So, as a small reward for completing the front gear bay I decided to assemble the nose section of the airframe. There was a teeny bit of fiddling to do to get the cockpit to fit but nothing out of the usual. Just the removal of the casting blocks of the cockpit side panels allowed the tub to fit. The nose cone did n't fit very well though. I had to sand the side of the cone on the right and the fuselage to get them to line up. Some filler was also required to a seam or two. Nothing major but not up to modern Tamiya standards.

I masked the windshield, cockpit and wheel bay before priming the assembly with Citadel Miniatures whizz can Skull White then painted the slime lights a light buff colour and masked them too.

I started with the Light Ghost grey underside and blew in the colour above the demarcation line. I used LifeColor and Xtracrylic acrylics but they I felt they were too dark when compared to reference images so I overcoated the LGG with some Valejo Light Blue grey until I had a better match to the refs. I was careful to make the paint somewhat blotchy but did n't use a pre-shade. I'm hoping that I can get a reasonable weathered effect using post shading and pastels.

The Checkmates appear to adopt a hard demarcation line to the cammo at the time this bird was in service so I masked with Tamiya tape and painted the Dark Ghost grey colour. Again, the LifeColor/Xtracrylics seemed to dark out of the pot so this time I used a top coat of Light Ghost grey to lighten up the base colour. After masking the skunk stripe I applied the darkest shade. Fightertown decals indicate FS35237 Medium grey for the dark stripe so I used Xracrylics then toned it down with Valejo Light Sea grey to give the blueish tinge. Big thanks to Rraab for his help with that, cheers buddy. :thumbsup:

I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have on how this looks.

tn_F-14nosesection025.jpg

tn_F-14nosesection022.jpg

tn_F-14nosesection026.jpg

It's obviously very clean at the moment which is destined to change after I apply the decals. The Erik Hilderbrandt book "Anytime Baby" has a chapter on the Checkmates and they all look pretty grimy. My intention is to apply the weathering using pastels and then spray on spot touch-ups to end up with the beaten up TPS look.

Some may question the idea of finishing the nose section before attaching it to the rear fuselage. I agree that it is unusual but I feel that I should be able to finish and paint any seams once the two sections are joined without making a hash of things. One good thing about this finish is that the rougher it looks, the more realistic it becomes..... :woot.gif:

At least, that's the plan....... :rolleyes:

Time to buff the paint gently then apply a gloss coat in preperation for the decals.

Cheers,

:cheers:

Edited by geedubelyer

Guy, your paint work looks spot on :thumbsup2: In my experience, the pre-shading were lost after all of the weathering was done, so I think you saved yourself a bit of work....

question 1) What color is the top fuselage supposed to be? I thought it was supposed to be medium grey... but maybe medium grey is a bit too blue for the top fuse.

question 2) Does the Alpha Tomcat have the reinforcing plate around the RIO step?

It's very exciting to see some paint action :cheers:

/Jesse

Guy, your paint work looks spot on :thumbsup2: In my experience, the pre-shading were lost after all of the weathering was done, so I think you saved yourself a bit of work....

question 1) What color is the top fuselage supposed to be? I thought it was supposed to be medium grey... but maybe medium grey is a bit too blue for the top fuse.

question 2) Does the Alpha Tomcat have the reinforcing plate around the RIO step?

It's very exciting to see some paint action :cheers:

/Jesse

Hi Jesse, thanks for the kind words.

In answer to your questions, 1.....I was going for something a bit like >> this <<, >> this << or >> this <<

and 2,.......possibly not. I don't have a photo of Nickel-103 showing the port side nose in any detail. The images in Erik Hildebrandt's book show very dirty airframes around the boarding steps so it's difficult to tell.

I appreciate you bringing this to my attention, cheers. :thumbsup:

Edited by geedubelyer

Front fuselage bits together! This is when all your "mini-models" all start to come together into one awesome F-14A Tomcat. For those unfamiliar with this build, check out Guy's really cool index of build steps in Post #1. My personal favorite is the engine nozzles, which is the very first "mini-model". Thank you Guy for all these detailed in-progress steps. :thumbsup:

Edited by chuck540z3
:jaw-dropping: :jaw-dropping: :jaw-dropping: 'nuff said. Anything less, and it wouldn't be a G. Wilson production. Awed, inspiring, speechless, outstanding and many other such words are commonly used when our Geedubelyer shows his latest updates and finished builds. When he first shows the part and detail, one thinks he's taken a pic of the real thing (in most cases), then you realize it's a model part, the awe sets in instantly. Thanks for the update G. we were wondering how it was going. That Strike Eagle will have some serious competition.....if that's at all possible.

Front fuselage bits together! This is when all your "mini-models" all start to come together into one awesome F-14A Tomcat. For those unfamiliar with this build, check out Guy's really cool index of build steps in Post #1. My personal favorite is the engine nozzles, which is the very first "mini-model". Thank you Guy for all these detailed in-progress steps. :thumbsup:

Totali with Chuck here. Fantastic build.Very inspireing :thumbsup:

Hi Clif and Marek, thanks for the kind comments guys, very glad you like things so far.

This is when all your "mini-models" all start to come together

Hi Chuck, it's a little indulgent but I wanted to feel that I was making some progress after the intricate and minute detail work of the gear bay. Once finished this cockpit assembly will sit in the display cabinet awaiting the completion of the fuselage. At least I will have something to stare at for a while.

After a spot coat of Valejo acrylic Gloss varnish I applied the decals to the nose section.

tn_F-14nosesection028.jpg

tn_F-14nosesection030.jpg

One or two thoughts about the Fightertown decals as an FYI for anyone considering them.

First, some good news. They apply beautifully. They are thin yet tough and stick like s*** to a blanket. Be sure to get them in the correct position before you smooth them down. Once in place, they are permanent.

Now, some not quite so good news :unsure: At the risk of causing some consternation across the boards I have to reluctantly question the accuracy of the decal placement in one or two cases and the size of a couple of the decals. :(

Let me state that I am no expert on Tomcats or VF-211 so my concerns may be unjustified. However, comparing the decal instructions with references highlights possible discrepancies. In particular, the placement of one of the data panels and the rescue arrow on the starboard side. The instructions tell the modeller to place the rescue arrow facing forward but this would mean the word "RESCUE" appearing upside down. :hmmm: When the arrow is placed as per reference material the decal reads correctly so no problem when all is said and done. The stencilled data panel beneath the arrow and canopy jettison placard is another matter though. The instructions suggest placing this data panel immeadiately beneath the aft slime light and in front of the canopy jettison placard. Is this correct? All the images I could find of Checkmate jets (and those of other squadrons too) place the larger stencil data panel below the canopy jettison stencil. :huh: As I mentioned, I am no expert so it's quite possible that Nickel#103 did have this stencil placard placed as per the instructions but I'd like to draw attention to the possibility that there is an error on the instruction sheet. -_-

Another thing that I'd like to mention is that many of the decals appear oversized when compared to reference photos of the real jets. This is not intended as a slam on Fightertown decals. Without conclusive evidence I cannot state that they definately are too big but what I can say is that it is difficult to get the decals to match reference material accurately. I hope I don't come off as being critical of the product. That is not my intent. What I hope I've done is raise awareness of possible issues so that others can make an informed choice.

Finally, here's a quick snap of the TCS.

tn_F-14nosesection032.jpg

The next stage is a matt coat and then some weathering :coolio:

Cheers.

*Edit

The instructions tell the modeller to place the rescue arrow facing forward

I've just noticed that the image I linked to earlier of "Nickel#104" shows the rescue arrow in the position that Fightertown show it on the instructions.

Edited by geedubelyer

WOW. I can't stop drooling :jaw-dropping: :jaw-dropping: You really nailed the colors Guy, the medium gray really looks perfect :thumbsup:

tn_F-14nosesection032.jpg

And the TCS is very real indeed, congrats :wub:

I seemed to have the same placement issues of the starboard rescue arrow when using the FCM decals. Of course I only noticed it when the decal was fully cured :blink:

/Jesse

Here's a few shots to show how 103 actually looked. The placement for the data boxes and Rescue arrows is correct. But what is wrong is the modex placement. We have it in a more traditional place than it is on 103. I'm not sure why you think the markings are oversized. They look pretty well sized to me and I know that's something that we try to do well. Some compromises have to be made from getting the exact size of the real thing to match the model kit. The ejection triangles that 211 used were definitely larger than the norm. Looking at the profiles, the markings do look slightly undersized on the profile compared the the real thing, but the decals match the real deal on the model. 103 did not have the RIO re-enforcement place around the boarding step.

Another oversight on the profile is the turbine stripe. On the real jet, it was only painted above the NAVY and not below so only 1 set of stripes is provided on the sheet.

An interesting bit of history on this jet is that it was a very old F-14A and was one of the jets that back when built has 2 sets of formation lights on the aft fuselage. If you look closely at the picture, you can see where the second set has been removed but the panel still remains.

Painting looks great!! If you want to correct the 35237 stripe at the nose, it doesn't come to a point in front of the pitot tube. It runs into the metal part while still tapering.

103rthomecomingDBx.jpg

103lftDBx.jpg

-briam

Hey, Guy!

That paint job looks great, and matches the decals just right...I was about to send a PM noting the aft cockpit (medium grey) vertical demarcation line on VF-211 jets from this time span, but on this particular aircraft, that area is exactly as you painted it! Win!!

Good to see you having a little fun w/this, after your arduous (sp.?) sub-assemblies. Your painting & weathering technique seems to be a logical, "from the ground up", i.e. "factory"- to -weathered -up approach. When this thing is done, it will totally look just like Dave Brown's 2nd photo that Brian (from Fightertown) so kindly posted.

I'll be watchin' for more...!

:thumbsup::beer4:

P.S. owe ya' a pm too (inbound)!

Hi guys, back with another small update today.

Jesse and Marcel, thanks for taking the time to add your kind words, much appreciated. Glad you like the start of the paintjob.

Hi Anders, good to see you again. It's been a while. I hope all is well with you.

How I wish I was close to painting on any of my Tomcat builds...

That makes two of us! I can't wait to see what you do with yours too..

Is n't it about time you gave us some Tomcat love again?

Hey, Guy!

That paint job looks great, and matches the decals just right...I was about to send a PM noting the aft cockpit (medium grey) vertical demarcation line on VF-211 jets from this time span, but on this particular aircraft, that area is exactly as you painted it! Win!!

Hi Rob, I've seen that vertical demarcation line on birds from other squadrons but on this occasion I just followed the instructions on the decal sheet for the cammo demarcation.

I've got to thank you again for the advice on the colours. Your suggestions are bang on the money. Kudos bro' :worship:

Here's a few shots to show how 103 actually looked.

Hi Brian, many thanks for stopping by and adding this info. I wish I'd had those pics a couple of days ago :lol:

The placement for the data boxes and Rescue arrows is correct. But what is wrong is the modex placement. We have it in a more traditional place than it is on 103.

I hope I did n't come across as slamming your decal sheet, that was n't my intent. I'm not bothered by any little issues but I was attempting to offer some potential information for anyone else building a Checkmates jet.

I'm not sure why you think the markings are oversized. They look pretty well sized to me and I know that's something that we try to do well. Some compromises have to be made from getting the exact size of the real thing to match the model kit. The ejection triangles that 211 used were definitely larger than the norm. Looking at the profiles, the markings do look slightly undersized on the profile compared the the real thing, but the decals match the real deal on the model.
It was really just trying to fit everything into the available spaces and not based on anything scientific. You guys are the experts and I trust what you say. Thanks for the explanations. :thumbsup:
103 did not have the RIO re-enforcement place around the boarding step.

Ok, thanks for confirming what Jesse asked. It's too late for me to remove the re-enforcement panel on my build but this info will be useful for others

Another oversight on the profile is the turbine stripe. On the real jet, it was only painted above the NAVY and not below so only 1 set of stripes is provided on the sheet.
Thanks. That explains things perfectly.
If you want to correct the 35237 stripe at the nose, it doesn't come to a point in front of the pitot tube. It runs into the metal part while still tapering.
Thanks again. I have corrected this. When I painted the skunk stripe I did n't like it coming to a point at the pitot, it did n't look right somehow. Now that I've altered it I'm happier with the look. ^_^ .

I could n't wait any longer and un-veiled the nose.

tn_F-14nosesection042.jpg

I want to handle the finished assembly as little as possible once the pastel weathering has been added so this evening I set about adding the canopy guides in the cockpit sill (#1) and the grab handle on the windscreen framing. (#2)

tn_F-14nosesection035a.jpg

tn_F-14nosesection037a.jpg

I must spend some time getting a "feel" for where these airframes got most of the dirt and grime. Although the photo of "Nickel 103" shows her to be quite clean at that stage, I've seen images of her sister aircraft in a much dirtier condition. Perhaps some "artistic license" is on the cards? :whistle:

Cheers,

Man, those last couple of cockpit pics in your latest post... :o

I know it's a very wornout phrase but "I could have sworn I was looking at the real thing"!

Simply incredible level of detail and colours, Guy. 110% convincing.

Hi Anders, good to see you again. It's been a while. I hope all is well with you.

Is n't it about time you gave us some Tomcat love again?

Thanks Guy, and yes it's been a while since I visited ARC regurarly, and the fact that the automatic new post-notifications seem to expire after a while doesn't exactly help. :(

I have again been involved in a few AFV projects this last year, and not sure when I can back to either of my Tomcats. But they are still very much alive. :)

Looking forward to see further updates, Guy!

Hi Guy, I just finished reading all 44 pages and :jaw-dropping: Wow !!!!, awesome build, how I missed this thread in the past :soapbox: . I want to thank you for taking time to show those awesome tutorials. I enjoyed your build on the SU-27 which was also a remarkable. Keep up this great build, dear friend :thumbsup::salute::worship:

Ken