Tamiya /32nd scale F-14A Black Knights edition

I love the:

• Weathered seats. Worn, dirty and very realistic. That turned up corner on the back of one is very neat.
  • Ejection hoops. Nice and fine, which makes them much more to scale than plastic kit parts.
  • Haphazardly placed seatbelts. No pilot or RIO neatly places them on the seat, like so many resin sets.

This build is taking forever- and for good reason. I can't think of a more detailed F-14 build in 1/32 scale anywhere. It might take another year, but the final product will be well worth it. Bravo!

Hello folks,

I hope everyone is well. Thanks for stopping by and having a gander ;)

Looks like the real thing!!!!

Don't forget that lever, or the RIO is going to be eating IP, that lever was harness lock lever, very important on arrested landings.

Reddog

Hi Gerry, cheers man, I could n't ask for anything more. If a guy who worked on the Tomcat says these look like the real deal then that's good enough for me :salute: I think I'll quit while I'm ahead.....

Hi Marcel, Rom, always nice to see you guys. I must remember to re-attach those harness lock levers before I finally fix the seats in place (but I bet I forget.... :rolleyes: )

This build is taking forever-

Ha, ha,..you can say that again Chuck! Progress is glacial huh? Probably something to do with the cold weather.

The thing is, I'm really enjoying this aspect of the model. This Aires pit has been a total blast to build and paint. O.k, so I've added little bits here and there but they're not really necessary. This chunk of resin is true quality straight out of the box. Well done Aires. :worship:

Hello David, Alexander and Girolamo, many thanks for taking the time to add your thoughts. Your kind words of encouragement are a great motivational tool. Glad you approve of things so far.

So for this mini update, a couple of pics of the (nearly) finished seats. Some may notice that I broke carefully removed {~ahem~}the lap belt from the RIOs' seat. I'll re-attach it once the seat is in its' final position (along with the harness locking levers....)

tn_Finishedseats4.jpg

Stencils are a combination of FIGHTERTOWN DECALS decals and painted details.

tn_Finishedseats.jpg

Once the seats are installed in the finished front fuselage I may try to add the thin pipes that run from the bulkhead to the seat back, I have n't decided yet. I think it would add some depth and visual interest to busy the pit up still more.

I also plan to add the streamers to the rear of each seat. From images I've been studying, these appear to be very long RBF tags that connect three (or more?) safing pins together. I need to find a suitable material that will look to scale and that will allow me to fold, twist and tie it like the real thing.

tn_Finishedseats5.jpg

tn_Finishedseats6.jpg

I'm calling these done unless anyone has any other thoughts. I think I've added everything I can but please let me know if I've missed anything.

Cheers all,

:cheers:

Guy,

If you do anything more to those seats I'm going to have to give you a "seat checkout" and make sure you are certified to work around them.

As for the RBF, yes it was one long flag with 5 pins attached to it for safing the seat. There would also be a pin in the canopy jettision handle on the right hand side of the cockpit (both front and back cockpit) and three (attached to one flag) on the "turtledeck" under the canopy. The turtledeck is that area under the aft part of the canopy that is covered up when the canopy is closed.

Don't ask me where all the pins on the seat goes, it's been too long since I climbed into a Tomcats cockpit to remember off the top of my head.

Looking great as usual! :thumbsup:

Reddog

Guy, you had better get some safety pins on those seats. Else you may inadvertently pull an ejection handle, thus igniting your 1/32 scale ejection charge and propelling the seats through the canopy. The resulting wait for a replacement canopy from Tamiya, no to mention the re-build of the seats, would set the project back a little.

Magnificent seats!!! :thumbsup:

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111
Guy, you had better get some safety pins on those seats. Else you may inadvertently pull an ejection handle, thus igniting your 1/32 scale ejection charge and propelling the seats through the canopy. The resulting wait for a replacement canopy from Tamiya, no to mention the re-build of the seats, would set the project back a little.

Magnificent seats!!!

Marcel

Hey Marcel. Guy's skill level is starting to annoy me, how about you? :thumbsup:

Edited by chuck540z3
Hey Marcel. Guy's skill level is starting to annoy me, how about you? :nanner:

You said it!!! I used to be right there with you, merrily slapping plastic together in anticipation of the paint job (I still meant to respond to your and Guy's posts). Guy has changed all of that :yahoo:

I now find myself going to ridiculous lengths to make sure that the sensor located deep inside my Su-27 intake, and which will never see the light of day, is correctly shaped ;)

Here's to Guy for pulling me up to a higher standard :nanner: (not his though)

Marcel

tn_Finishedseats5.jpg

tn_Finishedseats6.jpg

I'm calling these done unless anyone has any other thoughts. I think I've added everything I can but please let me know if I've missed anything.

Cheers all,

Guy, you're must be kidding! Do you really think you could miss something to add to the seats after you have been studying the refers through-and-through? Sure, not any rivet has been missed! :)

Absolutely excellent work! The result of top-level craftsmanship and great patience! Congrats, buddy! You just knocked us down!

Eager to see next updates.

Cheers!

Alexander.

:woot.gif:

Edited by Eastern

Hello everyone,

Great to see you all, huge thanks to all for the kind and enthusiastic comments. As always, your generous words give a big lift and carry me along on a wave of enthusiasm.

Guy,

If you do anything more to those seats I'm going to have to give you a "seat checkout" and make sure you are certified to work around them.

Reddog

:D Hi Gerry, cheers man. There's a bit more to come but I think I'll have to have the seats in position to finish them off completely. Keep an eye out later in the build.......
Hey Marcel. He's starting to annoy me, how about you?
:(

:beer4:

Heh, heh...I aim to please.......glad you're enjoying things Chuck :D

I'm beginning to work on the canopy now so here's a quick question.

What is wrong with this picture:

tn_F-14Canopy.jpg

Answers on a postcard to.....

"The canopy rails are too short" competition

c/o Geedubelyer Promotions,

P.O Box OMG

UK*

If you followed along with Chuck on his F-14B VF-101 Grim Reapers build you'll remember that he described this problem with the Aire resin. It is difficult to grasp how the cockpit tub and seats can be so good yet this piece can be so bad.....

What were they thinking?

Oh well, some modification is obviously in order. My plan is to try to adapt the rearmost tip of the kit part and add/blend it into the resin piece and clear parts. Watch this space to see how things work out......

Laters dudes.....

:wub:

* Please note that this was an attempt at humour and should not be responded to.

What is wrong with this picture:

tn_F-14Canopy.jpg

What's wrong is that you cut the "Not here!" mark, instead of the "Cut here!" mark. Don't say I didn't warn you!.

Don't worry Guy. One day your skill level will finally get up there with the rest of us. :thumbsup:

Canopytop1.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

Hi gang, nice to see everyone.

Ken, John, Rom, Infideon and Ghostkiller thanks guys. I'm thrilled that you're enjoying things so far. ^_^

What's wrong is that you cut the "Not here!" mark, instead of the "Cut here!" mark. Don't say I didn't warn you!.

Canopytop1.jpg

Hi Chuck,......now you tell me.......! :doh:

In truth, I did actually pay heed to what you posted in your Reapers thread. My first cut was where the "Cut here" line was but I'm afraid it did n't help much. The clear glazing Tamiya part would n't fit into the recess on the Aires part and as you can see from your piccie, there is a step on the resin canopy rail. I came to the conclusion that removing all of the rear of the resin and adding the aftmost part of the kit canopy rail was going to be easier than trying to re-shape and re-profile that step. Time will tell whether this was a wise decision or not. Either way, there is alot of work involved in getting this to look right. -_-

I'm grateful for your tips regarding what's in store, thanks for the heads up you sent me.

Here are a couple of observations that I've made regarding the Aires canopy rail part.

First up, on this particular piece, a large chunk of resin was missing on the underside of the rail.

tn_F-14Canopy002.jpg

This results in this rail being extremely fragile. I broke the part without even trying so if anyone else is using the Aires set, check this area out and if it looks like the photo above, take care.

Nextly,......(nextly?...is that even a word? :wierdo: ) the de-misting pipes that run along the length of each rail are molded integrally with the rail.

tn_F-14Canopy001.jpg

There is daylight showing on the real item.

Another thing is that the strengthening on the underside of the canopy is solid. The real deal has lightening holes in the cross beams.

tn_F-14Canopy003.jpg

Very little of this will be immeadiately visible on the model to the casual observer.

That does n't mean that we can't fix it though, does it?

tn_F-14Canopy008.jpg

I removed the pipes and cross beams. Here's a look at the first attempt to model the lightened version.

tn_F-14Canopy010.jpg

This will allow me to install a couple of free-floating wires that Aires had molded to the surface of the resin.

The cross beam was constructed using metal foil. A better and crisper solution would be etched metal.

On a slightly different but related subject, the Aires resin turtle deck is beautiful.

tn_F-14Canopy004a.jpg

As is my want, I've been poring over references and I've come to the conclusion that the detail at the rear of the deck resembles the -D much more than the -A.

For anyone that has the DACO book, check out the images on p75 (-A) and p99 (-D) Some minor modification might be necessary.

With today being Sunday it's possible that I'll get some time at the bench. More soon........

:cheers: