Tamiya /32nd scale F-14A Black Knights edition

Hi guys,

John, viperbite and Qian, thank you. :lol:

I've added the connectors that you suggested John, thanks for the idea.

tn_LANTIRNpod039.jpg

Now thoughts turn to the fuel tanks and pylons. Tamiya have nearly got the shape right but it is possible to enhance their offering.

First up, the pylons are devoid of any surface detail. Some scribing should sort that out.

tn_F-14fueltanks001.jpg

The pencil lines show the proposed lines.

In the DACO book, there is an image on p55 showing a small door open with a connector visible. I'd like to replicate this feature but would like to know what it is and if the same door on both pylons would be open at the same time? In that same image (centre left) a slim handle is also open. I'd also like to add that handle too. Well, that's the plan anyway..... :bandhead2:

The fuel tank is a unique shape with two ridges on its' back running away from the nose toward the rear with a void between where the pylon sits.

tn_F-14fueltanks005.jpg

As you can see, Tamiya has these two ridges connected at the rear where the real deals are seperate. This will require a certain amount of modification..

tn_F-14fueltanks007a.jpg

The taper on the rear section is different too. I'm not sure whether the plastic will be thick enough to allow for the re-shaping so I may back the area up with two-pack modeling clay before I start as a precaution. I plan to run a bead of two pack into the hollow of the two ridges so that I can re-shape them too.

Another tweek is at the front of the pylon opening where there is a lip to the metal....

tn_F-14fueltanks006a.jpg

This appears simple at first glance but it's giving me some moments of deep thought trying to figure out how and where to cut plastic. I'll keep you posted with how it goes.

Finally, I've removed the oval plates at the fill point (?) and replaced them with plasticard to recess them slightly and give more relief to that detail.

tn_F-14fueltanks015.jpg

More soon.

Cheers.

:cheers:

Edited by geedubelyer

Hi guys,

Back with another short update......

Alexander, mareku, John, Ken and JohnS many thanks. I appreciate the comments guys. :thumbsup:

More work to the fuel tanks.

First up, a comment on the oval panels along the side of the tanks.

Tamiya have modelled four panels equally spaced and at the same height along the flank of each tank. I could n't find any pictures to show this arrangement. Instead, there appears to be only three on the right side of each tank (when viewed from the rear looking forward) and two on the left. Additionally, the panels appear to be at different heights too.

tn_F-14fueltanks013a.jpg

tn_F-14fueltanks013b.jpg

I sanded off the kit lines and re-scribed new panels with recessed fastener detail in place of the previous raised rivet heads.

Here's a little detail that might be missed.....I think the actual fuel tanks had a flat rear panel rather than the domed effect engineered by Tamiya....?

tn_F-14fueltanks022.jpg

Lastly for now,....the start of the re-shaping....

tn_F-14fueltanks020.jpg

It's a work in progress....... :( ...but I hope yu can see where I'm going with it.

Back soon with more.

:P

Edited by geedubelyer
Here's a little detail that might be missed.....I think the actual fuel tanks had a flat rear panel rather than the domed effect engineered by Tamiya....?

Just a quick reply as I'm on my way out the door, but I believe there were at least two different styles of end caps used on those fuel tanks, the flat and domed styles being two of them.

Somebody please set me straight if I'm wrong here... :unsure:

Looks great so far, Guy. Keep it up! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Anders

Hi Anders, good to see you, hope all is well.

Thanks for the info re: the fuel tank end caps. Perhaps one was an earlier style, one was later? I've seen more of the flatter style whilst scouring through refrence pics so I've altered the ends of these tanks.

More news on the gas bags........

The front end was modified by cutting away the molded face at the head of the pylon recess, fitting a new wall further foward and then blending in a thin lat of curved styrene.

tn_F-14fueltanks028.jpg

This should just about touch the front edge of the pylon......

tn_F-14fueltanks031.jpg

Finally, two views of the tanks in primer showing the modified shape to the rear of the pylon trough.

tn_F-14fueltanks030.jpg

tn_F-14fueltanks032.jpg

Cheers for now.

:crying2:

Uhhh I hate to tell ya this GW..buuuutt ya missed a tiny little spot just inside the fuel tank about .5mm in front of where you inserted the plastic stock...Oh well ya can't see it from the outside anyway.... other than that it's perfect!!!!!!! :D :sunrevolves:

And I thought I was crazy!

Von Rock

Not even close!!!...just wait until he get's into the heavy detail stuff!!!........ :sunrevolves:

Guy, you are simply amazing. I love how the pod turned out. It looks awesome. Also, nice to see the mod of the tanks. Its simple yet very affective. Keep up the good work buddy.

Mike