Tamiya /32nd scale F-14A Black Knights edition

Wow! Finally!! Great Turkey is revived! :D

Nice progress! I hope you will cook things faster after so long respite. Your Turkey really starves for your keen attention. ;)

Follow with great interest again. Really excited in anticipation of your next updates. :D

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander.

:cheers:

:thumbsup::banana: ;)

Good... no, GREAT to see you back on this one, Guy!

It took ages to fathom out where I'd got to. There are sub-assemblies and pieces of this kit dotted all over the place so remembering what I intended to do next has been quite a feat.

Glad to know I'm not alone with that problem... usually happens to me already after two weeks. ;)

Looking forward to your continued progress!

Cheers,

Anders

Hi everyone, many thanks for the warm welcome home. It's good to be back! :D

........ Amazing what you really tall blue skinned green eyed people can do with a pair of tweezers and a brush.

Ian

;) Cheers Ian. :P

Hi John, thanks for stopping by. I'll endeavour to update more regularly than I have done over the last five months, that's a promise.

Hello Alexander my friend, many thanks for the gentle nudges of encouragement along the way, much needed and much appreciated.

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeees! Guy, you once were General Dynamic, Mcdonnell Douglas, now you are Grumman!!!

Jin

Hi Jin, yes I have many favourites with more to add in the future. I still have to build Mikoyan, Northrop and Fairchild at least....... :)

Howdy Dax, thanks and right back atchya. I'm enjoying the work on your own big 'Cat so please keep it up.

Hello Anders, smashing to see you here. Yes, I finally managed to finish all of the distractions and muster up enough enthusiasm to get back into the Big Turkey. I hope these updates might re-kindle a flame in you......?

...and where's your work Anders? It's been an awful long time since you showed us some news about your astonishing 'Cat!

/Kristian

Agreed Kristian, it's been too long eh?

Hi Rob, thanks for stopping by. Funnily enough, I do have a short update today.

The sharp eyed amongst you may have noticed that I removed the molding on top of the grey cylinder in the last photo. Tamiya had offered a rudimentary suggestion of something atop there but it would n't allow me to add the pipework that I've been planning. Removing it meant having to re-create the complicated assembly that sits on top so I chewed up lengths of stretched sprue and Evergreen rod in an attempt to get something remotely similar to the real deal....

tn_F-14nosegearleg005.jpg

(Whoa...! check out the gouge marks in the gear leg.......)

tn_F-14nosegearleg008.jpg

(Oof!...more gouging! I guess I was a bit heavy handed with the seam removal......yikes)

Man, this macro photography is savage but it does help to show things that need further attention. I can see I'll have to redo one of the pipe connectors before I paint this.

The top section is only placed on top at this stage to aid alignment of pipes and hoses.

Here are a couple of shots from a bit further away showing how it looks so far.

tn_F-14nosegearleg011.jpg

tn_F-14nosegearleg002.jpg

The piston has been added to the ram now plus I've also added the roller beneath the flap too. There is more to do in that area as soon as I've finished the pipework. More on that before long I hope.

See you all soon.

Cheers,

:cheers:

Edited by geedubelyer

I really do not understand how you can possibly manage to add such an amount of tiny details!

Ok, it's 1/32 scale, but still...! It's beyond reason! :)

And then there's the patience that this incredible work of yours demand. :P

Even if it may sound reductive compared to what you're achieving here, congratulations and - please! - don't let us ever wait this long again!

/Kristian

:cheers: Oh Man! I forgot, what scale is that, 1/18? What? 1/32??!! Absolutely stunning plumbing work on the fore leg! No doubts, your modeling mojo is recharged completely after some quick and entartaining builds and I'm sure the respite was very useful. Your last updates show that obviously. :P

Cheers and very happy modeling, my friend!

Alexander.

:)

Hello Anders, smashing to see you here. Yes, I finally managed to finish all of the distractions and muster up enough enthusiasm to get back into the Big Turkey. I hope these updates might re-kindle a flame in you......?

...and where's your work Anders? It's been an awful long time since you showed us some news about your astonishing 'Cat!

/Kristian

Who... me? :wasntme:

Well, I still have my kit packed away at an arms reach but looking at my workbench I find it occupied by a couple of Tamiya's propeller driven subjects.

What gives...? I guess it's just that those kits assemble so fast. >sigh<

Agreed Kristian, it's been too long eh?

Seriously, I hope to get back to my Tomcat in a not too distant future. And Guy, your latest installment surely provide me with much needed inspiration.

Lovely work on that NLG leg. Keep it up! :crying2:

Cheers,

Anders

Hello again everyone,

Many thanks Kristian for your generous words, much appreciated.

Hello Alexander, thank you my friend. I found the OOTB builds to be very entertaining and gave me a much needed break from the extra added detail of this model. I'd recommend an occasional OOTB build to anyone to help re-invigorate their modelling mojo. ;)

Hi pjratpatrol of course you're right. The despicable digits hitch-hiked their way away for a while there but.....I've got my thumbs back again and I'm back at the bench :lol:

Hello Anders, I fully understand your remarks about the fast builds. There is just something so rewarding watching a model fall together quickly and easily I can appreciate the appeal. However, we, your fans, long for more updates to your big Kitty so lease don't keep us in suspense too much longer, ok? :coolio:

Hello Rom, thanks for stopping by. It's good to see you. I hope your studies are allowing at least short periods of relaxing model building?

I spent last weekend at SMW 2010 so little got done on the Tomcat but I did manage to source some capilliary tubing which was necessary for some finessing I have planned.

This short update is disproprtionate to the length of time it took me to do the work.

I cannot belive how long this took. I must have cut umpteen tiny lengths of various tube diamteres in an attempt to replace a kit part. My model room floor is littered with tiny metal offcuts that pinged off into the air when I was trying to slide one into another :woot.gif: . At first, I looked for the tiny pieces but eventually I gave up and just kept cutting fresh ones until I finally got an assembly together. The plastic attachment part took a long time and several attempts to carve from rod

Have a look and see what you think...

tn_F-14nosegearleg014.jpg

tn_F-14nosegearleg013.jpg

Here's a look at the part in situ.

tn_F-14nosegearleg017.jpg

It's difficult to judge whether I've got this one correct. I'm not sure if it looks a bit too skinny when compared to photos of the real deal. For now, I'll persevere and make a second one for the other side then try to make the attachment arms and see how everything looks once it's together.

I also added more plumbing both to the top of the cylinder and to the scratch-built ram running diagonally down from the top of the cylinder to the flap.

tn_F-14nosegearleg016.jpg

I shall try to make a second unit tomorrow evening........wish me luck please

:woot.gif:

Edited by geedubelyer

Hi Guy!

Very nice work with those tiny pieces!!

Hello Rom, thanks for stopping by. It's good to see you. I hope your studies are allowing at least short periods of relaxing model building?

Studies are now finshed for me!

I got my engineer diploma in september.

I am now working here <_<

Do not worry, i have time to spend on my models...im back at my Mirage 2000 duo :monkeydance:

waiting for your next update!!

bye!

Hey Guy, great detailed work as always.

I just checked your first post and you're approaching your second anniversary of this huge undertaking. This progress might seem kind of slow unless you realize that you've built at least 30 small scratch-built models within this project to get to this point, so you're really quite prolific after all! Keep it up! This will be the best 1/32 Tomcat ever built.

BTW, I can hardly wait until you start playing with that thick Tamiya canopy. It's a real bear.

Thanks HOLMES, I think YOUR message of good wishes worked. :cheers:

Hi John, many thanks. Glad you like the update.

Congrats on attaining your diploma and landing such a smart job Rom. :cheers: I'm glad to hear that you are back up to full speed on your remarkable models.

Hello Chuck, thanks for stopping by my friend. Two years eh? Wow! :lol: How time flies when you're having fun...

Your concept of many smaller models within a larger build is one I like. I've always looked at these behemoth builds in that way. I have to apologise to everyone for taking so long in getting anywhere on this project though. It must be frustrating tuning in to see very little accomplished and it would be nice to be able to show you something ground breaking once in a while.

Thanks for being patient with me folks, much appreciated.

Oh, by the way, if you slide back to p24/p25 or so I think I tackled the canopy back there Chuck. :doh: (It's been so long I can' t remember.......) You're right in what you say, that sucker was thick.

Thanks for your kind words Karl, nice to see you here.

Hi Marcel, thanks for dropping in and for the generous words. Sorry to hear that you're in the middle of selling a property. It can't be easy in this economic climate. I wish you well and I'll keep my fingers crossed that it sells quickly and for reasonable money, that way you'll be able to get back to the modelling bench sooner.

Hello mareku, long time no see. How are you? I have n't seen any progress on your huge Tomcat in a while. How's that going for you? I hope you are able to get back to your project soon too. :wub:

I wanted to thank everyone for their very kind and generous words. It totally helps with the energy levels to get such positive feedback so thanks again guys

Before I go there's just time to show you what I worked on this evening. After studying references some more I came to the conclusion that the damper that I've just finished was too scrawny so I've made a new version.

I'm happier with this one.......see what you guys think.

tn_F-14nosegearleg019.jpg

tn_F-14nosegearleg020.jpg

See you next time.

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

Hello mareku, long time no see. How are you? I have n't seen any progress on your huge Tomcat in a while. How's that going for you? I hope you are able to get back to your project soon too.

Thank you my friend for asking! My Tomcat is on hould. I´m fighting with my autumn depression. when i´ll win the project will go on. ;) :banana: :D