Tamiya /32nd scale F-14A Black Knights edition

The Mk 2 is definately an improved version over the Mk 1 (as usually is the case). :banana:

I really like how the complete NLG leg is turning out.

A question: what is your approach to representing the bare metal part (I believe it's called the oleo?) of the leg, will you paint, apply foil or something else?

Cheers,

Anders

Edited by Anders_Isaksson
The new damper looks good.
Thanks for your encouragement John. much appreciated.
Thank you my friend for asking! My Tomcat is on hould. I´m fighting with my autumn depression. when i´ll win the project will go on.
Hello mareku, I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling down right now. I hope things improve for you soon and you can re-kindle the enthusiasm for your big Tomcat project. I have been enjoying watching your scratch-building expertise.
That landing gear looks brialliant! All those tiny extra details really have paid off.
Thanks Jan, I'm glad you like things so far. Now, if I could do this in 1/72nd scale like you do, that would really be an achievement! :P
The Mk 2 is definately an improved version over the Mk 1 (as usually is the case).

I really like how the complete NLG leg is turning out.

A question: what is your approach to representing the bare metal part (I believe it's called the oleo?) of the leg, will you paint, apply foil or something else?

Cheers,

Anders

Hi Anders, thanks for the kind words. Glad you like things up to now. I prefer the proportions of the mkII damper so that's the one I'll go with.

Your question over how to replicate the oleo is a good one.

At first I considered actually using a stainless steel tube of the correct diameter but the very critical tolerances put me off. It would be necessary to add the axles for the wheels directly to the steel tube which would n't be strong enough so I binned that idea.

I also considered painting the chrome piston using AlcladII lacquers but I'm under the impression that that particular finish is quite fragile which puts me off again.

The option that I've settled for is a tight wrap of thin kitchen foil, cut vertically at the rear of the oleo so that it is partially hidden by the oleo scissors. I'm optimistic that the join will be all but invisible if I'm careful. How do you plan to do yours?

Cheers,

:)

p.s. I've added an index here and to p1 of this build to make it easier for folk to find things. HTH

INDEX

p1-3. Engine nozzles and burner cans.

p4-5. TCS assembly and lens making tutorial.

p5. Rear engine trunking shape adjustment. Left forward fuselage modifications

p6. Upper rear fuselage re-scribing and rivetting.

p6-7. Vertical tails. Ventral fins.

p8-9. Undersurface details and AIM-7 troughs.

p10-11. Rear portion of main gear well.

p11-12. Intake trunking.

p12-13. Upper heat exchanger exhausts.

p14-15. Wing hinge, bladder and cover details.

p15. Rear nacelle re-shaping.

p15-16. Forward portion of main gear well.

p17. Horizontal tail painting.

p18-20. Windshield, glareshield and front IP mods and painting.

p21-23. Cockpit tubs

p23-25. Ejection seats.

p25-26. Canopy

p27-28. Wing glove pylons and targetting pod.

p28-29. Gas bags.

p30-31. Arrestor hook assembly

p32. Ladder well and canopy rail locking catches.

p33-38. Nose gear leg

Edited by geedubelyer

One comment: unbelievable!

I'd be so much more then happy if I managed to scratch something remotely similar to the Mk.1 damper, and yet you went beyond that and even managed to improve it! Unbelievable!

/Kristian

In accordance with Roberts Rules of order.........I hereby nominate G. Wilson AKA Geedubelyer to the status of Modeling god. His skills, finished build, and status here on ARC makes this more than overdue!!!

I'm for one who applauds that!

Hey Guy! Great progress so far and very nice and useful tutorial! :)

Please, keep us posted!

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander.

:cheers:

In accordance with Roberts Rules of order.........I hereby nominate G. Wilson AKA Geedubelyer to the status of Modeling god. His skills, finished build, and status here on ARC makes this more than overdue!!!

Yep! Guy's my hero on detail. :)

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts on how to best replicate the oleo.

How do you plan to do yours?

Well, considering it will be at least 10 years until I get that far :thumbsup: I figure there is plenty of time to ponder the best way forward.

So far I have thought about using a section of stainless steel tubing, but just as you observe there really isn't much room available to make it all fit togheter.

So aluminium foil might be what I will settle for, still a lot better than any paint - especially considering the large scale and how prominent this part of the F-14 NLG really is.

Cheers,

Anders

Geedubelyer, your my hero!! my idol.

I have seen your work on the F15's the Su27 and now this Tomcat it is amazing. I have the same kits under my desk and working now on the Trumpy F14 D. I wan't to convert him in to a B model because i wanted a VF103 plane. So your work is a big inspertion for me. Thanks for that.

And sorry for my poor English.

Rogier van den Berg

Holland

So far I have thought about using a section of stainless steel tubing, but just as you observe there really isn't much room available to make it all fit togheter.

So aluminium foil might be what I will settle for, still a lot better than any paint - especially considering the large scale and how prominent this part of the F-14 NLG really is.

Cheers,

Anders

Well they start out as plastic models, but when some finish with some kits, they are not totally plastic now are they? :) .

Hello everyone and many thanks for the kind words and enthusiastic support. Your continuing patience is very much appreciated.

Kristian, Clif, Alex, Alexander and John it's so good to see everyone here. Thankyou guys, I'm thrilled you enjoy the updates, cheers. :beer4:

Please note: I've begun to update the title bar of the thread each time I add something. That way, if the update does n't appeal, it's easier for folk to skip over this thread without opening it. HTH

Anders, good luck with your oleo piston. I managed to wrinkle the foil on mine by handling it :doh: so please be careful with yours. Fortunately, with the wheels on it's not too noticable (from some angles at least.... :wasntme: )

...........and working now on the Trumpy F14 D. I wan't to convert him in to a B model because i wanted a VF103 plane. So your work is a big inspertion for me. Thanks for that.

And sorry for my poor English.

Rogier van den Berg

Holland

Hello Rogier, welcome aboard. I look forward to seeing your F-14B here on ARC if you decide to start an in progress thread. No need to apologise either, your English is just fine. :worship:

This weekend has seen me beavering away feverishly to try to complete the nose gear leg assembly. I (almost) succeeded so here are a few photos.

tn_F-14nosegearleg035.jpg

tn_F-14nosegearleg033.jpg

tn_F-14nosegearleg032.jpg

tn_F-14nosegearleg029.jpg

There's not much more I can do with this little lot until it's time to finally assemble the gear. At that point I'll add the tie down hoops at the joint of the drag brace.

This last photo is a comparison between the kit launch bar damper and the scratch built version in situ....

tn_F-14nosegearleg039.jpg

I suspect the next update might be a way off since I'm about to begin the nose gear bay.

Catch you all next time, cheers.

:worship:

If I didn't know where it comes from I could easily think that those are pictures of the real thing! This is beyond impressive! I really don't know what to say...What's still missing - I think - is a slight wash to add some depth in some places. I suppose you'll do that later?

/Kristian

tn_F-14nosegearleg029.jpg

There's not much more I can do with this little lot until it's time to finally assemble the gear. At that point I'll add the tie down hoops at the joint of the drag brace.

You know of course Mr. Wilson; that you give a whole new definition to the term "modeling detail", what you do is.........., oh 'ell when I find a correct and proper term for it matey; I'll tell ya.

:jaw-dropping: OMG!!! UNBELIEVABLY!! stunning! Awesome!!!

That nose landing gear leg looks more than real! So crisp, sharp and absolutely flawless, it really makes me drooling watching it!

I think words fail to express my feelings. Congrats my friend! You seem surpassed yourself!

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander.

:wierdo: