Tamiya /32nd scale F-14A Black Knights edition

• 10 months later...

smileydigginhole.gif Dug this one up from the grave...

Hey Geedub, what happened?!?! Almost a year since any progress on this bad boy? I just acquired this kit, so I've been looking through your build learning lots and making plans for when I eventually get to mine. Hope to see you back at it soon.

Edited by blunce

Hey Brian, thanks for the interest buddy. Apologies for not updating this puppy in a while. I got sidetracked by a couple of other builds and this big Turkey still sits mocking me from the shelf ;)

Glad you got some ideas from the build. I hope you have a ball tackling the big old bird.

I have actually begun working on the right hand side nose gear bay wall but there's not much to photograph. I do intend to get back on this at some point so watch this space. :)

Cheers and have a very Happy Christmas.

:santa:

Will do, signed up for subscription to this thread, so nothin' gettin' by me! Quick ?, do you plan to use the kit landing gear or going to go for Gfactor or the like?

and Merry Xmas to you as well! santa.gif

Edited by blunce

Quick ?, do you plan to use the kit landing gear or going to go for Gfactor or the like?

Hi Brian, I think I'll be sticking with the kit parts when I get that far and just adding some detail. From a quick inspection there are areas where improvements can be made. I'm not too familiar with the metal aftermarket products but if they are cast directly off the kit parts then it would be much more difficult to correct the metal than the plastic. Additionally, any plumbing or wiring is easier to glue to plastic than metal, especially if you are planning to drill pilot holes in the first place. Although this puppy will be heavy I think the kit gear legs will hold.

HTH

cheers.

:cheers:

I got sidetracked by a couple of other builds and this big Turkey still sits mocking me from the shelf

Any projects other than the Hawk? ... keeping them secret from this forum would be gossly unfair :crying2:

:coolio:

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

Any projects other than the Hawk? ... keeping them secret from this forum would be grossly unfair :crying2:

:coolio:

Marcel

No kidding! I think he's been either holding out on us, or actually having a life outside of modeling! How dare he have a life!- and too bad for us :crying: Just kidding of course, but still......

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked at the whole post yesterday, and I was amazed. Your detailing work is stunning, painting also.

Can you just tell briefly how you do the salt technique to represent dirty and give tone to the color? Do you spray a lighter shade than apply salt and then a darker shade or?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Marcel and Chuck, good to see you guys. As you now know I was sidetracked by the Tamiya Mustang. :whistle:

However, there is nothing on the bench right now so after a little tidying up I'll be back on this project. ;)

I've looked at the whole post yesterday, and I was amazed. Your detailing work is stunning, painting also.

Can you just tell briefly how you do the salt technique to represent dirty and give tone to the color? Do you spray a lighter shade than apply salt and then a darker shade or?

Thanks

Hello veliko_pile, welcome to ARC. My apologies for not replying sooner but I did n't spot your question until now, sorry. :blush:

There is a good guide to the salt weathering technique by Chuck >>here<<

Experimenting will yield some interesting and enjoyable results. For the F-14 the best method I've found is too apply a light base coat, sprinkle the salt then overspray with a darker shade. It is quite possible to build up layers of this weathering should the need arise and include some suggestions of paint touch-ups in between layers as desired just like the full sized aircraft. I'd urge you to give it a go. Practice on a piece of scrap until you're happy with the technique then go wild. You're sure to have a ball, it's great fun. :D

Cheers,

Hi Marcel and Chuck, good to see you guys. As you now know I was sidetracked by the Tamiya Mustang. :whistle:

However, there is nothing on the bench right now so after a little tidying up I'll be back on this project. ;)

Great!

To celebrate, and to keep you ON this bird to completion, here's a little inspiration to make you live and breath everything Tomcat. This is a Youtube video of an F-14D demo I witnessed a few years ago at Nellis AFB. This demo was right after an F-15C demo and, although I love the Eagle, I thought the Navy bird blew the Eagle away. The video starts off a little slow (other than wheels up flat take-off!!), but by the time you get to the 7 minute mark, you'll see what I mean.... :thumbsup:

Edited by chuck540z3

Hello folks,

Thanks for the warm, generous words and for keeping the faith. At last I've found some enthusiasm to return to my big Turkey. I'm easing myself in slowly at this point trying to pick up the reins again and remember where I'd got to.

To celebrate, and to keep you ON this bird to completion, here's a little inspiration to make you live and breath everything Tomcat. This is a Youtube video of an F-14D demo I witnessed a few years ago at Nellis AFB. This demo was right after an F-15C demo and, although I love the Eagle, I thought the Navy bird blew the Eagle away. The video starts off a little slow (other than wheels up flat take-off!!), but by the time you get to the 7 minute mark, you'll see what I mean....

Hi Chuck, cheers bro. That's a neat video, thanks for the link. It must have felt special watching that show, especially as it was toward the end of the US Navy Tomcat's flying career. Although the Eagle is my favourite bird of all time I have to admit that there is a certain charisma to the F-14 that is hard to match.

I discovered that I'd begun work on the nose gear bay so I continued in that vein. When I last worked on the bay I'd started the right hand side nose gear bay wall. Below is the kit part.

tn_Nosegearbaydetails2.jpg

The wheel bay door hinges are molded into the side wall so I removed them hoping to add them to the gear doors at a later date. I also removed the kit raised detail so that I could create the multitude of wires and pipes from scratch but before that I opened a couple of holes and used Archer rivet transfers.

Once I'd got a base to work on I had to add wires, pipes and hoses to try to give a realistic(ish) appearance.

This is how it looks at the moment.

tn_F-14nosegearbayrhswall002.jpg

And primed....

tn_F-14nosegearbayrhswall005.jpg

There are plentty of colours around the bay so it will be a challenge to pick them all out but it will add visual interest. (Even though very little will be seen once the big bird is on her wheels.... :rolleyes: )

The large oval bottle required a bit of fettling too. Tamiya gave the part some quite prominent banding which could very well be overscale.

tn_Nosegearbaydetails.jpg

It's also a bit "sharp".

I rounded the ends and removed the bands in readiness for some metal foil once everything is painted.

tn_Nosegearbaydetails1.jpg

Paint next so I'll see you all in 2013 :woot.gif:

:taunt:

Just kidding. ;)

See you all soon.

Edited by geedubelyer

The large oval bottle required a bit of fettling too. Tamiya gave the part some quite prominent banding which could very well be overscale.

It is- and here's a pic if you don't have one already.....

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle_f-14d/f-14d_159600_christine_parts/images/f-14d_159600_christine_parts_240_of_354.jpg

That "Christine" site on Prime Portal is a gold mine!

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle_f-14d/f-14d_159600_christine_parts/

Good job removing those wheel bay hinges. They could use some work anyway.

Hi Chuck,

That first link really shows just how enlarged the bands are on the kit part. :blink:

I suspect it is to provide some detail on an otherwide bland part, realistic or not. It would definately pop with a wash and dry-brushing. :D

Thanks for the link to "Christine" too. I'll sit down with a coffee some time and go through all of the pages. It may take some time...... :lol:

Cheers,

Hi Guy,

It finally happened! You again are in your fantastic(though too looong)Great Turkey build.

Very nice plumbing on the gear wall. Very neatly done.

Hope to see more updates soon. ;)

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander

Thanks for the link to "Christine" too. I'll sit down with a coffee some time and go through all of the pages.

If it's not too late, one thing I found out by using that site, is that the vent beside the vertical stabilizers is way too far forward on the kit. Check this pic out:

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle_f-14d/f-14d_159600_christine_parts/images/f-14d_159600_christine_parts_002_of_354.jpg

Hard to tell from this angle, but you can see that it should be just forward of the horizontal stab pivots, not halfway along the vertical stab:

http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle_f-14d/f-14d_159600_christine_parts/images/f-14d_159600_christine_parts_078_of_354.jpg

Anyway, enough picky details. Get back to that turkey! :D

Edited by chuck540z3

Geedubelyer,

This is wath i mean about a insperation. This is a great build, and for me a benchmark :worship: about modelling. Last week a had a small operation on my body. The surgeon sad to me that i must lay still for a week and a half. So no buidling for me at this time. But when i see this build, i whant to go back to my workbench and go further whit my Flanker.

Thanks for the insperation. Hope to see a update for your Tomcat very soon.

Greetings

Rogiér van den Berg

:woot.gif::yahoo: :yahoo: YES!!!! The Jedi Master returns from the outer regions, to again instruct all the young pedawans in the art of modeling. With his mastery of the craft he shows, what can be accomplished if one takes notes and listens to him when he brings all the Force of the light side to bear. The force is very strong in this one :whistle: :D , Good to see the progress Guy, note pad at the ready as is the "save" feature on this cyber machine.

Hi Guy,

It finally happened! You again are in your fantastic(though too looong)Great Turkey build.

Hope to see more updates soon.

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander

:woot.gif:

Hello Alexander my friend. Nice to see you here.

Your eyes do not deceive you.......I am actually working on the Tomcat again. :D It's been a long time coming but it does feel good.

If it's not too late, one thing I found out by using that site, is that the vent beside the vertical stabilizers is way too far forward on the kit. Check this pic out:

Hard to tell from this angle, but you can see that it should be just forward of the horizontal stab pivots, not halfway along the vertical stab:

Anyway, enough picky details. Get back to that turkey!

:doh:

:lol:

Good eyes Chuck. I agree with you. I think the grille is in the wrong place. I also think that the Eduard etch pieces that are designed to match the kit are too small. They should really be where you suggest and larger but for this build, I'll leave them as is. The rear fuselage is closed up and the work involved in rectifying the issue at this stage outweighs the gains, at least for me. Except for a handful of folk on this forum, no-one else in the world will recognise the error and for once, I can live that ;)

Geedubelyer,

Last week a had a small operation on my body. The surgeon sad to me that i must lay still for a week and a half. So no buidling for me at this time. But when i see this build, i whant to go back to my workbench and go further whit my Flanker.

Thanks for the insperation. Hope to see a update for your Tomcat very soon.

Greetings

Rogiér van den Berg

Hello Rogier, thank you for your generous words. I'm sorry to hear of your surgery and hope that you are recovering quickly. It is rewarding to hear that this build has given you some inspiration and makes posting updates all the more worthwhile. Let's hope that you continue to enjoy the progress and get well soon.

Qian, Anders, Robert and Clif, thanks so much for your kind words of encouragement. Always a pleasure to see you guys here, cheers.

Work, the weather and obligations have conspired against me this week but I've managed some progress.

Here are a couple of snaps of the painted side wall.

tn_F-14nosegearbayrhswall011.jpg

tn_F-14nosegearbayrhswall013.jpg

The next job will be to repeat the process for the left side wall. The image below shows what we are starting with in the kit.

tn_F-14nosegearbayrhswall014.jpg

>This< is how it ought to look....... :whistle:

Thanks for stopping by, more soon.

Cheers,

Edited by geedubelyer