Tamiya /32nd scale F-14A Black Knights edition

Very nice work with the gear well!

I don't remember whether it has been asked on this thread (or some of your previous threads) - or at all - but one of the things I've always liked to know is how people and in this case especially you, Guy, paint those thin pipes and wires without messing up the surrounding areas? How can you pick up all those tiny details so precisely?

Many people have asked me how I can achieve such small details on my models and my answer has always included things like patience, steady hand and a good brush. Is it really so simple also in your case? Although looking at the tremendous amount of tiny and precise details on your models, one might think there must be more than that..? :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello folks, good to see everyone again.

Marcel, mareku and tom-navy-cat, thanks for dropping by and adding your kind words, cheers guys.

one of the things I've always liked to know is how people and in this case especially you, Guy, paint those thin pipes and wires without messing up the surrounding areas? How can you pick up all those tiny details so precisely?

Many people have asked me how I can achieve such small details on my models and my answer has always included things like patience, steady hand and a good brush. Is it really so simple also in your case? Although looking at the tremendous amount of tiny and precise details on your models, one might think there must be more than that..? :)

Wow

i would love to know how to paint those wires/hoses you add! ive tried many time but i guess im not using the right technique

Hi Jan and Neo, great to see you both. Thanks for taking a look. I think one of the benefits of scratch-building this sort of detail is the relief it brings. Not the "relief from every day living" kind but more the "depth of the detail" kind. It is far easier to pick out the various pipes and hoses when they don't sit on the surface of the panel. In these gear bays I have very often painted the pipes before adding them to the sidewall etc.

In the event that I have to paint the parts in situ I resort to the thinnest brush in my arsenal and use thin paint.

I know it sounds slightly ridiculous but I try to avoid too much caffeine if I know I've got a painting session ahead. I discovered that it's hard to avoid minor tremors in my fingers if I'm loaded up on coffee. :coolio:

To paint a pipe, wire or hose I try to brace my hands against something solid like the edge of the bench or similar so that they are n't waving about in the air wildly. I also hold my breath whilst I'm applying a stroke with the brush so as to minimise handshake.

One other tip is to not paint the whole wire or pipe etc. in a single pass. Instead, I've found that if I paint first one side then the other I can get a crisper finish. What I mean is, apply the paint to one side of the raised detail then turn the work around and paint the other side rather than try to follow the topmost part of the raised detail. (Does that make sense? :huh: )

A final tip is to take the photos from far away and only make them small so your work looks better than it really is. ;) :whistle:

I have finished the left hand side wall of the gear bay now.

tn_F-14nosegearbaylhswall002.jpg

Compare this to the photo above to see what has been added. The pipes end abruptly because they need to be returned around the corner of the bay to finish on the front wall when the box is assembled. Same goes for the wrapped wire bundles feeding out of the panel at the front. Speaking of the wrapped wire bundles, I used baking foil cut into thin strips then wrapped around different gauges of electrical, lead wire or solder to give a scale appearance to the bandage.

The final component to complete before I can assemble the nose gear bay is the roof of the bay. It look particularly complicated so I might be a while. (Who said "what's new"? :lol: )

Cheers.

:cheers:

Hi Guy,

As always, absolutely crisp and flawless! Top notch craftsmanship and great patience.

This is what one can call a real modeling joy - firstly, when you are satisfied (I hope so)with what you accomplished and

then when you find yourself being an artist or a sculptor developing a masterpiece. ;)

Ah, well, I'm glad that your modeling mojo has returned to you and that you are in your great build again giving us all a real joy to follow it.

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander

You know, when I finished my Tomcat, I was pretty proud of it. But then I saw this thread and wow...talk about feeling inadequate.

Great work! This one will be a show stopper when finished.

David

• 1 month later...

Hello folks, I hope everyone is well.

Marek, Rogier, Alexander, Kristian, Marcel and David many thanks for your continuing support and enthusiasm. Your kind words are very much appreciated. :salute:

When I get the time I've been tackling the roof of the nose gear bay on the Tomcat. Surprisingly, this panel as more involved than any of the previous parts. I began with an entirely clean sheet so the framework and substructure needed to be constructed before I could begin work on the plumbing. A study of reference material revealed a plethora of small details to create. This resulted in a multi-layered approach which has proved time consuming.

Anyhoo, here's where we're at.......

tn_F-14nosegearbayroof012.jpg

This is an idea of what it looks like when assembled.

tn_F-14nosegearbayroof016.jpg

tn_F-14nosegearbayroof019.jpg

To complete the whole nose gear bay sub-assembly there are two rams to fabricate (gear leg retraction and forward nose gear door closing) plus a number of pipes and wires to finish but we're getting there........slowly :rolleyes:

Thanks for stopping by.

Cheers,

Edited by geedubelyer

Hi Guy,

Your keen attention to all the details, your craftsmanship and great patience really knocks me out! :)

Absolutely amazing and stunning work on the gear well.

Way to go, my friend!

Alexander

Where will this sit when it's finished, Guy. Surely it'll be on public display somewhere, yes? Absolutely out of this world. I'm just gonna give up and watch you work from here on in!

Cheers

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the uplifting comments guys, much appreciated.

Hi Jesse, you're very kind. Close-up this is far from perfect but it's ok from a foot away. ;)

Hello sharkey, I'm flattered to be mentioned in the same breath as someone with Eric's talent so thanks for that :blush: .

Howdy Mike, thanks for the support, I appreciate it. I don't intend to go crazy with the weathering in here. It would be all too easy to obliterate some of the minute detail by being heavy-handed with a wash etc. Hopefully, the finished item will look ok in place. :unsure:

Hi Marek, you are too kind, thanks.

Hello Alexander, great to see you. How is the home decorating going? I hope to see more of your Kiowa soon. :pray: Thanks for adding such kind thoughts.

Hi AjD, welcome aboard. Better late than never mate. :) I hope you might pick up an idea or three along the way.

Howdy Ian, nice to see you again. Truth is, once completed this little old model will gather dust in my cabinet away from prying eyes :coolio: . There's a long way to go on this epic journey and plenty of opportunities to drop the ball. THankfully, everyone's support and encouragement makes it alot easier to stay focussed.

The forums seem to be playing up for some reason but I'll attempt to upload the final images of the finished nose gear bay.

This has taken a while to do and I'm pleased it's complete because now I can move on. I honestly can't remember where I got to before this wheel bay so it'll take a while to gather my thoughts.

This turned into a very complicated mini-project and I'm fairly pleased with how it looks in real life. These pics are quite stark and the flash has conspired to wash out some of the subtle weathering that I applied to the corners with pastels.

When you consider that none of this will be visible with the bird on her wheels you've got to wonder was it all worth it? :wacko:

tn_F-14nosegearbay008.jpg

tn_F-14nosegearbay007.jpg

tn_F-14nosegearbay006.jpg

tn_F-14nosegearbay005.jpg

tn_F-14nosegearbay013.jpg

Edited by geedubelyer

OMG!! I'm speachless... No comments... I'm just gonna quit that crazy modeling business! :bandhead2:

Seriously, absolutely amazing and stunning! You are a true Modeling Gedi! :worship:

Happy modeling!

Alexander

Having made a Tomcat, I can confirm that this is front gear well brilliance. What I really like is that all the bits and plumbing are to scale and delicately assembled. No big fat copper wires in this build!

Proof positive that taking your time and doing things right- when you want and how you want- is well worth the effort! :thumbsup: