Tamiya Battleship USS New Jersey BB-62

Yes, it's a ship. My first in about 25 years.

Tamiya's 1/350th BB-62 New Jersey kit.

This has been languishing in obscurity in my attic for five years. I had pulled it out now and then and worked on little bits, and over the last month have committed to finishing it. So here she is.

I used Gold Medal Models beautiful PE set which has so many nice pieces. Even still I didn't use much more than half of it. I also replaced the molded on anchor chain with a brass one from Barrel Depot, used brass rod for the propeller shafts, and scratch built a number of fittings, particularity on the underway replenishment tower as per the Gold Medal instructions. Aftermarket decals are from Dunigan decals and are much nicer than the Tamiya ones.

Interestingly for an aircraft modeler I left off the supplied Seahawks. I have it on good authority from one of the guides on the actual restored New Jersey (I live only 20 miles from it), that she only ever carried SH-3's.

It was amazing how much planning this took when compared to an aircraft. I did a lot of building in sections and pre-painting of parts and sub assemblies, and probably more brush painting than in the previous three years combined. The railings were an intimidating thought going in, but careful measuring and folding resulted in a decent outcome.

All in all I'm pretty pleased with it and just might have to pick up another ship along the way.

jersey09.jpg

jersey08.jpg

jersey07.jpg

jersey06.jpg

jersey05.jpg

jersey04.jpg

jersey03.jpg

jersey02.jpg

Edited by volzj

Holy sub-assemblies! That turned out really nice!

For someone who doesn't usually build ships (anymore), you did it like a pro...actually, for someone who does build alot of ships, you did it like a pro...!

I hope I'm that brave when I decide to battle the 'photoetch monster', someday...

Outstanding stuff. :cheers: -Rob

Joe... she sure if beautiful. I love the fact that you actually 'weathered' her. All the ship models I see are just plain Jane gray with no real depth. I love how you finished her. Looks really REALLY great!

-Greg