L/F Libya Raid F-111 info

Since I have an F-111 on the way courtesy of the great and generous Breadboard B) I thought I should start gathering some info. I know little about F-111's and even less about the birds on the raid, but I'm almost positive our friend's Dad was the crew chief on 70-2394 during the raid and I'd like to build that bird. :D I know he was crew chief on that bird at some point and I'm pretty sure it was during Libya....

Are there timeframe or mission specific details that I should add or corrections to the Has kit that I need to make?

TIA - any info helps!

Check out DOD Defense Imagery and do a search for F-111, El Drado Canyon, or similar search terms related to the raid and they have a series of shots (about 30 last time I looked). I don't know if you will be able to find your specific aircraft, however you will be able to see some of the aircraft leave Lakenheath prior to the raid and some shots of the aircrew returning.

Thanks Murph - I forgot about the F-111.net page. The defense images has lots of good pics, but not of the raiders. Thanks though, I've never been to that site before and I'll definitely be going back!

Actually that DOD site has some photos. In the search type "F-111F Libya" and you'll see several from the raid. They are pretty old and low quality.

I wonder if there are any sources that show which aircraft in this operation actually dropped bombs and what ordinance. Which ones aborted? Which were the 6 backup aircraft that returned a couple of hours after launch?

Apparently the Azziziya and Bilal targets where hit with GBU-10s and they used MK-82 Snakeyes at the Tripoli airport?

Found on Google using "F-111 Libya Puffy" in search:

RAID SUMMARY

Call - sign - Target - Assessment

Remit 31 Azziziyah Barracks Hit

Remit 32 Azziziyah Barracks Off dry

Remit 33 Azziziyah Barracks Hit

Elton 41 Azziziyah Barracks Abort—inop Pave Tack

Elton 42 Azziziyah Barracks Abort—tanker turned too soon, crew still refueling, out of position to meet timing

Elton 43 Azziziyah Barracks Abort—hot wheel well indication

Karma 51 Azziziyah Barracks Miss—radar misidentification

Karma 52 Azziziyah Barracks KIA

Karma 53 Azziziyah Barracks Abort—loss of electrical systems

Puffy 11 Tripoli Airfield Hit

Puffy 12 Tripoli Airfield Abort—TFR failure

Puffy 13 Tripoli Airfield Miss—radar misidentification

Lujac 22 Tripoli Airfield Hit

Lujac 23 Tripoli Airfield Hit

Lujac 24 Tripoli Airfield Miss—computer malfunction

Jewel 61 Sidi Bilal Miss—radar misidentification

Jewel 62 Sidi Bilal Miss—radar misidentification

Jewel 63 Sidi Bilal Hit

since Puffy 13 was going after the airfield, the load would have been 12 MK-82 AIRs.

Jari

There is a book written by the vice wing commander on the raid. It's called 'Raid on Qadaffi'. I had it because I worked with the Lakenheath Wing Commander Sam Westbrook a few years ago. Although he was the wing commander, he didn't fly the mission. I loaned the book to someone and haven't seen it since (darn if I can remember who I loaned it to). Anyway, the book has a lot of information on the planning and the mission.

There is a book written by the vice wing commander on the raid. It's called 'Raid on Qadaffi'. I had it because I worked with the Lakenheath Wing Commander Sam Westbrook a few years ago. Although he was the wing commander, he didn't fly the mission. I loaned the book to someone and haven't seen it since (darn if I can remember who I loaned it to). Anyway, the book has a lot of information on the planning and the mission.

Raid on Qaddafi: The Untold Story of History's Longest Fighter Missing by the Pilot Who Directed It

by Robert E. Venkus

ISBN-10: 031207073X

ISBN-13: 978-0312070731

http://www.amazon.com/Raid-Qaddafi-History...d/dp/031207073X

From Jan van Waarde Jan's Email Address

"Hi Bill,

I was browsing through the ARC Air Forum and noted a discussion on the F-111s used in Operation El Dorado Canyon. Early in 2006 I did an article for Scramble magazine about the attack, with all info about tail numbers etc. However, as I am not a member of the forum, I could not post an answer. I know you're a member, could you please post the text I attached in the 'Research Corner' of the forum, and please include my e-mail address (jwaarde@chello.nl) so that I can answer any questions ar discuss any additions anyone might have? Thanks!"

The article he sent me is 8 pages long. I don't think I can post text files here, so please email Jan or myself Bill's email address And we will get the file to you.

• 3 months later...