Which paint pipettes do you guys like?

I posted this on the FSM board too. I'm interested to know what pipettes you guys are using. I've been using the Testors and they work pretty well. I tried the accordian style from Micromark and they absolutely suck. Or rather don't suck. They don't hold enough of a vacuum to keep the paint from dripping out and lacquer thinner eats them alive (unlike the testors). They're going into the recycle bin!

I've found a bunch of different types on the web but wondering which ones you like the best, why you like them, and where you find them at a reasonable price.

Thanks

Dave

Hi, Weeblens

If possible, I always use the cheapest way until it doesn't compromise the task.

Buy a syringe and throw away the needle. Search for silicone transparent tube that RC modelers use for fuel. It is better to find it of the proper diameter to fit the syringe, but.. it's always rubber.

Keep the tube length as it allows you to get enough liquid you need.

Use the syringe only as a pump and not as a tank.Your pump is always clean.

You'll clean up the tube with any strong stuff and it will not suffer; when too dirt, just change.

Hope this helps

Regards

Euge

Someone on here posted this supplier a month or so ago. I bought the 500pc 7ml box and now have enough pipettes to last into the next lifetime. They work just dandy and can be cleaned and reused in many circumstances. The nice thing is that they are graduated and they give exactly 1ml/22drops (I verified) so precise measuring is easy.

<_<

Someone on here posted this supplier a month or so ago. I bought the 500pc 7ml box and now have enough pipettes to last into the next lifetime. They work just dandy and can be cleaned and reused in many circumstances. The nice thing is that they are graduated and they give exactly 1ml/22drops (I verified) so precise measuring is easy.

<_<

I highly recommend going down the path of using disposable pipettes. I hunted around on ebay a while back and got 500 or 1k worth for just a few dollars. Use them until they get gunked up and then just pitch 'em.

Someone on here posted this supplier a month or so ago......

Uuuurgh! I paid too much when ordering mine from a local supply house. :bandhead2:

I'll know better next time.

In any case, I also prefer using pipettes like these. I use the 3mL graduated ones; they're a good size for normal airbrush paint cups, and make measuring/mixing custom colors a snap.

I just use plastic soda straws to move paint back and forth. Cut it to length, dip it in the paint and keep you finger pressed on one end until you're ready to dispense it. And the price can't be beat!

That's what I do!

Spongebob

I use straws, courtesy of Starbucks. I figure since I spend a zillion dollars on their beverages the LEAST they can do is fund my straw and paint-moving habit. They work just fine for me...

Hi, Weeblens

If possible, I always use the cheapest way until it doesn't compromise the task.

Buy a syringe and throw away the needle. Search for silicone transparent tube that RC modelers use for fuel. It is better to find it of the proper diameter to fit the syringe, but.. it's always rubber.

Keep the tube length as it allows you to get enough liquid you need.

Use the syringe only as a pump and not as a tank.Your pump is always clean.

You'll clean up the tube with any strong stuff and it will not suffer; when too dirt, just change.

This is a nice tip!!! ;)

Thanks for the info. I just ordered a package of 500. I'm set for life! :crying2:

Thanks again,

Tom

:worship:

I use straws, courtesy of Starbucks. I figure since I spend a zillion dollars on their beverages the LEAST they can do is fund my straw and paint-moving habit. They work just fine for me...

I just made a plank hardstand out of Starbucks wooden stirrers. Once I glued it all down (and clipped off the ends), I threw some used, damp coffee grounds on top to age the wood. Starbucks brand Luftwaffe! :)

John

I just made a plank hardstand out of Starbucks wooden stirrers. Once I glued it all down (and clipped off the ends), I threw some used, damp coffee grounds on top to age the wood. Starbucks brand Luftwaffe! :cheers:

John

YES! I've just been using the stirrers too, to stir paint, of course. But now that I know that a decent hardstand can be made out of the stirrers (and all of my old grounds can be used as a tanning agent of sorts), then the boundaries of the modelling/coffee worlds are ever expanding. Excellent advice! Decent, robust smelling models too! I wonder what other Starbucks merchandise can be used for modelling...

Jon

If any of you are in the healthcare industry as I am, then consult your doctor or lab tech. I got a HUGE box for NOTHING! I gave a bunch to TF51GregWise and some to Tar Heel! I still have enough for the rest of my life and the kids.

The lab gets them from Quest and Labcorp for free, so it is not an issue for you to ask from a box.

-Jim

Also, if any of you work in a school (or are students,) ask the science teachers if they have any stuff. I've found that they're a gold mine for modeling. Science teachers use plastic pipettes (just like you guys ordered,) they have scalpels and blades, tweezers, hemostats, and all sorts of other modeling tools. I even scored 2 free rolls of Parafilm (the full-size rolls, not those dinky Testor's ones) from a chemistry teacher who knew that it would never get used in her class. (DO NOT STEAL this stuff. See if there's any that's old, unused, or being replaced.)