Just scored an Academy Raptor off eBay!

I also bought one online and started it the other day. Very nice kit. The decals are really thin, so be careful when putting them on. One of mine for the intake vents actually curled up on the decal sheet before I even touched it

Mine arrived from Korea yesterday. Got it on ebay and it arrived in 7 days. Overall I thinks its fairly impressive. The blunt nose situation doesn't appear to be as bad as the build up pictures I've seen. Still will require some reshaping with a sanding stick however. The decal sheet is VERY impressive...lots of little stencils for landing gear, weapons bays, etc. Cartograph has really outdone themselves. I hate to say it, but I don't think there's any need for an aftermarket sheet for this kit.

I hate to say it, but I don't think there's any need for an aftermarket sheet for this kit.

Heretic! :thumbsup:

Show off.

First one between Sprue Brothers or Great Models gets my money. It's in the PayPal account, lock and loaded!!

I've actually got one on preorder with Sprue Brothers also, but I was surfing eBay yesterday and decided on a whim to place a bid on one from one of the Korean shops. I honestly didn't expect to win and figured I'd get sniped at the last minute, but what the heck, bidding is free. Anyway, no biggie getting two. I can always build one OOTB and then the second with the inevitable aftermarket.

Edited by Dave Williams

A sad day today for a friend of mine, he just retired from the Air Force and did his last walkaround of the F-22.

He did have a hand in the Academy kit you have there.

Curt

$42 total including shipping from Korea. :)

They are out there.

I decided I couldn't wait and did the same thing. Plus I had a 10% off coupon with eBay that I had to use by the 19th and this seemed just as good a reason to use it as any. Price paid for mine with shipping was $40.19 after the coupon was applied ($42.99 before the coupon).

I still have a second one on order with my LHS as I have to support the local modeling economy where I am afterall. ;)

Edited by Jay Chladek
  • 1 month later...
And here I sit Jan.24 still waiting on mine,I ordered Dec.23 and it was supposed to go out last week or 10 days ago.Hopefully it arrives soon.

Hi

I ordered mine from Sprue Bros on Sun and it is here now, sorry ;-)

T

This morning I woke up kind of early and read this post. I was inspired to check out e-bay, even though I already bought and received one on e-bay. I knew I'd never be happy with just one. Anyway, went right over to e-bay and one was about to close in 6 minutes. I outbid whomever you are and got, with shipping for $41. Can't beat that. As far as how good it is--pretty good. Most will agree it's the best Raptor in any scale, but is a kit ever perfect? Can't talk about the fit, but there seems to be inconsistency in the panel lines. People have posted photos of areas that look pretty bad--distorted--but mine is just fine in those areas. However, I have the same kind of issues on other parts. Remember your first job where you scribed the panel lines in a raised-panel-line kit? The mistakes you made? (I did.) Well, that's what it reminds me of. I still have to buy a few more--whatever that magic number is that will cause one to magically appear under the Tamiya name, which is what I really want.

Dibbles here in SA got two of them last week, and one was for one of the employees. We all spent about half an hour rummaging through the box and drooling :thumbsup:

That was one SERIOUSLY SWEEET decal sheet. The nose did look a bit weird, but it was head-and-shoulders above Italeri's offering. I did see a couple of sink marks around the wingtip lights and some of the panel lines on the nose looked....'off'. (note - I am NOT a Raptor expert!) But overall I'd say Academy's got a pretty hot kit on their hands.

I didn't have the $ to get the other one, though. :D